Tonight I felt like an old timer!

I agree with OP, it just isn't the same. No passion. It seemed to change sometime in the 90s to me. I can't put my finger on it though.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy to see from you and others that I'm not the only one with that opinion regarding civility. It doesn't matter whether we agree or disagree with others' opinions on the state of the activity or anything else. One wonderful thing about DCP is that we're generally encouraged to respect others' thoughts. That makes this a civil community, unlike what DCP replaced.

:cool: Once again, absolutely hit the nail on the head :thumbup: Now I don't agree entirely with the OP's sentiments on this year, but I can see how someone who is driven for that emotional WOW factor would be turned off by this year and especially watching online. But that's just it- you can not get the emotional WOW no matter how good your speakers are and from watching a High Camera Angle. It's impossible to feel that chill you get from watching live. That being said, I know not everyone gets the opportunity to watch the shows from a live venue and thus the fan network is what we have. I'm thankful for it, though I know you can only get so much out of it and your quality of experience depends upon the quality of the camera/feed and audio provided! As far as the shows themselves, the diversity is just amazing. Take a look at the top 12:

Blue Devils- While not everyone's cup of tea what they are doing visually is just crazy and creative. Maybe this one won't give that emotional lift, but the appreciation of the levels most certainly applies here.

Bluecoats- Besides the fact that the Canton Team is 2nd in the World,(2nd WOW!!) musically this is a fast paced show that just draws you in.

Cavaliers- As always this show has all the elements of the WOW Factor. Great music, creative design and amazing drill. That said, if you can't see this one close up you're missing out and it may not connect to you through the computer. You have to see what's taking place all over the field to feel it for this show!

Crown- Simply the Best Hornline Ever, Period- Don't care what the judges say, they are outragious! With that said, you can tell they sound amazing on video, but live made me jump out of my seat and scare the hell outta the old lady in front of me. I think she almost spilled her drink or spilled something else. :tongue:

Cadets- Old School Cadets with a new flare. Entertaining to the max, but if you can't really see all the details to this show live you might not get it live! Amzing music and drill and a wonderful design. Best of all they're not being Weird or talking to the audience!

Phantom- Theatrical to the max! Again with the entrance from and exit behind the stands, if you can't see/hear it live it won't speak the same. The show is beautiful and classy yet with the same Phantom power we've loved over the years.

SCV- A lot to catch that can't be seen or truly appreciated from a computer. I know, because I didn't like this show from behind a screen and after seeing it live I am a fan. So different from everything else. Has a lot of WOW moments spread out over the show!

Blue Stars- Mellophones by themselves are a BIG WOW! But this is a show with a ton of stuff- escapes, vanishings, and even a death of the corps at the end that cannot be felt properly online!

Boston- This is another corps that the aggression in the music is good on the internet, but seeing it live does the corps a lot more justice!

Blue Knights- Simply one of the most entertaining shows of the year! If you like old school drum corps with a modern twist these guys and Madison is your cup! But as said before the guard is such a big part of this production and the visual product may not make a lot of sense with seeing it up close!

Madison- Madison's first 46 seconds may be the best 46 seconds of drum corps this summer!! A great show that I didn't fully appreciate until seeing it live- You miss the building of the sky scrapers, and the classy/great guard work going on. And then a computer never does justice to the Scouts music ever!

Glassmen- Another show that leaves me cold. Though it may not be my cup of tea, live it really sparkles much better!

Fact is, the best experience that can be had is to see this year live! I think this is the best drum corps season since 1999. I also feel that if someone is watching for the first time they should experience the shows today in ATL where there is a multi-cam going on or in the Theater. Nothing beats DCI live, but the theater is the nest best thing without a doubt!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Edited by wesleyrp

Cavaliers- As always this show has all the elements of the WOW Factor. Great music, creative design and amazing drill. That said, if you can't see this one close up you're missing out and it may not connect to you through the computer. You have to see what's taking place all over the field to feel it for this show!

I have to say that this show definitely connects through the computer. It may connect even more in the audience (I'll find out soon enough,) but it rocks on the computer too!

All afternoon I've been looking forward to coming home and watching the top 8 drum corps in the world battle it out. From what I've been reading on dcp this is shaping up to be one of the best seasons ever for drum corp. Brought the projector home from work, plugged in the bose to the laptop and prepared for an evening of big, loud and live home style version. I even had my girlfriend, someone who has never seen a drum corp show, sit on the couch watching.

I have to admit for the first time in the 25 years I've been either participating or following this activity, I finally feel like one of those "old timers" who just dont get the direction of this activity. Im not talking about electronics, vocals, preshows, or any other of the rule changes that have taken place over the last 5 to 10 years. I dont see the diversity or passion written into the shows anymore. There is no question the kids in this activity are highly trained, extremely hard workers with a passion for perfection that many of our nations youth will never achieve.

There was not a single show tonight that grabbed me, threw me down in my seat and then made me jump up before the last notes screaming like a little school girl with goose bumps covering my entire body. Did anyone else notice the crowd reaction during the performances and after the last note? Yea!!!!!!! Great job kids, we can tell you're very talented and work very hard, my ### hurts so its time to stand up!

After the Blue Devils (actually every corp) final note, and seeing the look of utter confusion on my girlfriends face, I almost felt like I needed to appologize for wasting the last few hours. I then decided I needed to show her one of my favorite shows of all time. Without saying a word I played 1988 Santa Clara Vanguard. After the corps disapeared she leaned over and said "now that was something I could get excited about and would pay to see!" I then realized what's missing from todays activity. Diversity, Flow, Melodies and Passionately written shows! Im sure I'll be blasted by the younger generation for expressing my disatisfaction and that's fine, we all have a right to an opinion. It was just a sad realization this evening that for the first time in nearly 25 years I realized I am losing touch with an activity that has given me so much joy over the years.

You are obviously not alone. I will echo another posters comments by saying that I wish I had a dime for every person that expressed the observation that you have expressed. Certainly some drum corps years are better than others and everyone has their own reasons for liking one over another (recently I think 2008 had a lot to offer in excitement and variety). Many folks are praising 2010....honestly I am not sold at all that 2010 is "something special". Saw 7 of the big boys and 2 smaller corps....and only two of those corps reached me. Something is missing for sure and it is definitely not what the members are doing....because they are doing a tremendous amount at a very high level.

I have followed this activity for over 40 years and have grown with it.Been to 15 finals and drove a truck for Cadets for two weeks.IMHO emotion is generated by effective story telling and music. I think the increasing emphasis on visual(to please judges) which started sometime in the 90s (Cavaliers to blame?) has deflated corps show emotion. I miss the goosebumps. Most of you are not able to recollect the wall of sound from Spirit back in the day.Check out Scouts 1989 on Youtube. I thought 2008 signaled a reversal of the trend.2009 was disappointing. Don't think amps,vocals or electronics can make up for emotion and passion which can really sell this activity to sustain and grow into the future. For me, Allentown this year is likely to be a harbinger of the future.I hope for the best

Frank

I wonder how many people would agree with you about the Cavies being the only ones to get anything from the audience?

It's amazing what individuals perceive, and then try to foist onto "the audience."

I don't understand this statement. I agree with the OP. Most applause now a days is Polite the standing O at the end seems obligatory. I Remember "back in the day" seeing people openely weeping <---NOT EXAGERATTED. Babies thrown Several times per show through most if not all the shows at a show. Now a days it's a few in the stands kinda giving it up according to what corps is on at the moment but the rest are like Meh. Phantom's performance in 08 and subsequent score announcement not withstanding.

Well, ok, if the burger guy you love down the street changes his recipe and it's no longer the tasty treat you once thought it to be, then sure, find another burger guy. It is a tad flippant and unrealistic to apply that same thought process to what is being discussed here. Drum corps dino's have gold lined stock, bought and paid for with their efforts that brought the activity forward when THEY marched, which believe it or not was a part of the process in developing what you see on the field today. At the VERY least they've earned their opinion without being dismissed as so much wasted bandwidth.

Better than wasting time going to a board saying how much you hate something the board is devoted to.

I don't understand this statement. I agree with the OP. Most applause now a days is Polite the standing O at the end seems obligatory. I Remember "back in the day" seeing people openely weeping <---NOT EXAGERATTED. Babies thrown Several times per show through most if not all the shows at a show. Now a days it's a few in the stands kinda giving it up according to what corps is on at the moment but the rest are like Meh. Phantom's performance in 08 and subsequent score announcement not withstanding.

I think perhaps many fans (I for one) are starving for that very excitement that you mention. When it does happen...it's quite magical...

To the original poster, being at the stadium, up high... you couldn't be father from the truth. The ovations where genuine.

Just more of the same, I heard this in every decade/rule change that I've been involved in the activity. It's not my drum corps... blah, blah, blah.

Sorry, I was there too and also up high in the stadium and I sure didn't see these ovations you talk about. Most of the people I saw just sat there shaking thier heads. Maybe we all see what we feel at the moment. If you enjoyed the shows then more power to ya. Personally I think the overuse of synths is a slap in the face to the hard work the kids on the field put in. It's like the staffs are telling them "you're not as good as we want so we'll just fill in with these electronic versions of you." You can call it what you want, but that's how I see it.

Edited by MCL_Contra