Allentown

If the two judges agreed, would the same people be complaining that there was "DCI politics" or "slotting?"

Isn't it a healthy thing that judges disagree with one another?

Well, if judges are confused among themselves on what they saw, then natually we are confused by their confusion as well.

It essentially means that how your Corps does in competition score and placement is ever bit the luck of the draw in the judging pool as it is in your level of performance compared with other Corps.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if judges are confused among themselves on what they saw, then natually we are confused by their confusion as well.

It essentially means that how your Corps does in competition score and placement is ever bit the luck of the draw in the judging pool as it is in your level of performance compared with other Corps.

condensed version: we're all ####ed.

I almost hate to ask you judge watchers this, but...

Can you show the gaps between the judges scores RELATIVE TO THE OTHER CORPS (above or below, your choice) and not relative to the other judge?

I think this might convince me of judging bias more than a simple disagreement between judges on tenths of a point relative to each other.

Does my question make sense?

Here's a pretty good indicator. Keep in mind that the scores you are about to see are averaged with the 2 judges who were doing GE VISUAL tonight and last night. The +/- is in comparison to their previous most recent scores.

Corps....................................Score..........Change

1. Blue Devils....................... 19.150........+0.150

2. Bluecoats......................... 18.900........+0.200

3. Cavaliers......................... 18.900.........+0.500

4. The Cadets....................... 18.850........+0.450

5. Santa Clara Vanguard....... 18.600.........+1.200

6. Carolina Crown................. 18.400.........-0.300

7. Blue Stars........................ 18.050.........+0.150

8. Phantom Regiment............ 17.950..........-0.250

9. Madison Scouts................. 17.600..........+0.500

10. Boston Crusaders............ 17.450..........-0.350

11. Blue Knights.................... 17.350.........-0.050

12. Glassmen........................ 17.100.........+0.300

13. Pacific Crest.................... 16.150.........+0.450

14. Crossmen....................... 16.050..........-0.050

15. The Academy.................. 15.900..........-0.600

16. Spirit.............................. 15.800..........-0.500

17. Colts.............................. 15.400...........-1.200

18. Jersey Surf..................... 15.400...........+0.300

19. Troopers......................... 15.400..........-1.000

20. Mandarins....................... 15.350..........+0.350

21. Teal Sound...................... 15.000..........-0.300

22. Cascades........................ 14.800..........+0.200

23. Pioneer........................... 14.750..........+0.150

If you want a clearer picture you have to check the scoring judge by judge ... because this was a double panel. When you combine large variances between 2 judges on the same night, then combine that with some corps going up or down a full point in this single caption since their last show .............. something is broken.

The drop for BAC and PR accompanied by the boost for Madison and SCV do crazy things to the final score. Not to mention Troopers and Colts getting major slammage. You'll notice the corps in the 13-17 slot all took a hit, creating an even bigger gap between them and 12th place. See how it adds up now?

Sorry that took me forever with all the dot dot dotzzzzzzz............

Edited by supersop

Preach it. A week ago they were nowhere near catching Bluecoats... now, much closer. Looks like the change in guard might be helping Cadets' vis scores???

I don't know what it is, but I'm sick of the rollercoaster ride lol... :thumbdown:

I don't know where the particular judges were (pressbox, field, etc) but is it POSSIBLE that judge A was watching the LEFT side of the field, while judge B was watching the RIGHT side?

I don't know if you've seen any shows lately, but the corps are now spreading from goal line to goal line, and there's a LOT going on out there. :thumbdown:

I don't know what it is, but I'm sick of the rollercoaster ride lol... :thumbdown:

Tell me about it. The members have to be pretty motivated with all this momentum... 2+ points behind Bluecoats yesterday, now only 1 flat point. A tie with Crown the other day, too. New uni's, some changes... I just don't want my hopes to get too high (like you said, roller coaster haha).

Here's a pretty good indicator. Keep in mind that the scores you are about to see are averaged with the 2 judges who were doing GE VISUAL tonight and last night. The +/- is in comparison to their previous most recent scores.

Corps....................................Score..........Change

1. Blue Devils....................... 19.150........+0.150

2. Bluecoats......................... 18.900........+0.200

3. Cavaliers......................... 18.900.........+0.500

(respectful snip for brevity, just wanted to reference the post)

The drop for BAC and PR accompanied by the boost for Madison and SCV do crazy things to the final score. Not to mention Troopers and Colts getting major slammage. You'll notice the corps in the 13-17 slot all took a hit, creating an even bigger gap between them and 12th place. See how it adds up now?

Sorry that took me forever with all the dot dot dotzzzzzzz............

Thanks for your effort.

And I don't mean to argue, but corps are going to be inconsistent from night-to-night. Shouldn't the scores reflect downwards performance as well? I would be suspicious if EVERY score went up the same.