A Boston Question

Well maybe from time to time there was some "scrappiness'. But I can honestly say that I never experienced or witnessed anything significant in the years I marched or taught. The only times there was any "scrappiness" was during the entry to retreat (when you marched in, in single file , all corps together) not the retreat themselves. I never saw anything happen before or after because the corps was told to keep to themselves. Now during a parade...that's a whole other story. Cut ranks at your own peril.

LOL. I remember police officer at a parade in 2000 explaining to a kid why he shouldn't break our rank and that he'd only have himself to blame for the consequences. Or a little balloon cart which one of our sops knocked over when it started to encroach.... or in 2001 when another sop knocked over a baby stroller for attempting to break (no, the baby wasn't inside!)...

The 2010 BAC are doing a bang-up job, and they'll only get better these next few days (and if history holds true, expect a few last minute tweaks). And while I remain a firm believer in WEDONTGAVA...

Let's break 93.0, BAC!! :tongue:

EAT EM UP BOSTON!!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the Boston Crusaders have the youngest Corps Director in all of World Class DCI. Tom Spataro is about 29, 30 years old.

Great to see younger men/women becoming directors, but age has nothing to do with being a good director. Quality and talented instructors/marching members are more important to me.

The 2010 BAC are doing a bang-up job, and they'll only get better these next few days (and if history holds true, expect a few last minute tweaks). And while I remain a firm believer in WEDONTGAVA...

Let's break 93.0, BAC!! :tongue:

EAT EM UP BOSTON!!!!

That's how I feel , this is a great corps performing a great show!

The top corps just keep getting better , and it slides down further to the contenders every year.

In spite of the negative side of things , the on-field product for all 23 corps is IMHO " The Best Ever "!

Edited by fecontra

Great to see younger men/women becoming directors, but age has nothing to do with being a good director. Quality and talented instructors/marching members are more important to me.

And that was kind of a compliment. So why couldn't you just leave it as the nice compliment it was? Tom is a very good director who happnes to be one of the youngest in DCI. That's pretty rare in any endeavor let alone in DC. Having a quality person like this running the corps speaks volumes about the kind of people he gets involved with the corps. But I guess its hard to please grumpy alumni sometimes.

And that was kind of a compliment. So why couldn't you just leave it as the nice compliment it was? Tom is a very good director who happnes to be one of the youngest in DCI. That's pretty rare in any endeavor let alone in DC. Having a quality person like this running the corps speaks volumes about the kind of people he gets involved with the corps. But I guess its hard to please grumpy alumni sometimes.

I really hope I never become grumpy.....life is too short.

And for the record, if the Boston Crusaders fell into a million dollars tomorrow and they could hire anyone they wanted to be corps director, it would still be Tom.

For three reasons:

#1. 2008

#2. 2009

#3. 2010

Period.

If the Boston Crusaders make the Finals this Year they will be one of only 9 Corps to have ever made the " 12 for 12" club in DCI, ie made DCI TOP 12 Finals Finish for 12 years in a row. Lots of terrific corps over the 38 years of DCI years can not make that claim of consistency.

Corps that have made the TOP 12, 12 years in a row ( or more ):

Blue Devils

Cadets

Cavaliers

Santa Clara Vanguard

Phantom Regiment

Madison Scouts

Bluecoats

Boston Crusaders

Crossmen

Some great Corps over the years that for one reason or another never made TOP 12, 12 years in a row:

Spirit of Atlanta ( 11 )

Star of Indiana ( 8 )

Carolina Crown ( 7, 8 this year )

27th Lancers ( 10 )

Bridgemen (8 )

Suncoast Sound ( 7 )

Velvet Kights ( 7 )

Glassmen ( 6, 7 this year )

Blue Stars ( 7 )

Kilties ( 4 )

Freelancers ( 5 )

Magic of Orlando ( 4 )

Colts ( 4 )

Blue Knights ( 6, 7 this year)

Troopers ( 2 )

Hawthorne Muchachos ( 3 )

North Star ( 3 )

Argonne Rebels ( 2)

Anaheim Kingsmen ( 3 )

This list has some oustanding Corps that produced great shows. Some of these great Corps were good in the 60's before DCI began ( Troopers, Kilties, 27th) Boston also had National Championship winning years in the 60's as well.

It's not as easy as one thinks to make Top 12 year in and year out. There are always good Corps trying to replace you. The Crossmen found that out recently. Kudos to the Boston Crusaders for being a model of consistency in DCI. And congratulations to this Corps for the celebration of their 70th year with us.

LOL...we love our titles dont we....Ive been in this a million years and never heard that 1..... well congrats

Why was it necessary to inject that shot of venom into an otherwise pleasant description of the way things are going with Boston

Why was it necessary to inject that shot of venom into an otherwise pleasant description of the way things are going with Boston

That was not a shot of venom towards anyone. 7576 acknowledged that a compliment was made. Tom is and has been a very good director, but any non marching members age is irrelevant to them doing a good job in their corps involvement. It might not be PC enough for some, but again, I believe talented members taught by talented instructors are more important then the greatest director. Please don't tell us you all think otherwise.

I really hope I never become grumpy.....life is too short.

And for the record, if the Boston Crusaders fell into a million dollars tomorrow and they could hire anyone they wanted to be corps director, it would still be Tom.

For three reasons:

#1. 2008

#2. 2009

#3. 2010

Period.

Well said.

Edited by BRASSO