The World Series of Drum Corps

Now that makes sense. Thats the point I was trying to make earlier. DCI would , I believe ,have no right to anyones name ....it's theirs. DCI does not own any corps.

This is the way it is (again, Guardling? :thumbup: ). DCI does not own the rights to any corps' name, logo, or marks. In fact, the corps' give permission to DCI use their name, marks, etc in the functions of DCI, not the other way around.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the way it is (again, Guardling? :thumbup: ). DCI does not own the rights to any corps' name, logo, or marks. In fact, the corps' give permission to DCI use their name, marks, etc in the functions of DCI, not the other way around.

lol...I know this I have been saying that,....Other posters said Corps could not use their names if they left DCI.....Im agreeing ...Corps own their own names:rolleyes:

Untrue. When the 27th Lancers Reunion Corps organized themselves in 1993 on the invitation to perform in exhibition at DCI Finals in 1994 , the Corps Director George Bonfiglio, made it known that this would be their final performance as the " 27th Lancers ". After that performance, some members however wanted to continue on doing parades and exhibitions as the" 27th Lancers ". They did so, but in short order, a court order was attained that disallowed the Corps from using the name " 27th Lancers "( and for a few more years that Corps did parades and exhibitions and used the name " The Light Brigade " )

It may well be that this the name was trademarked, not copyrighted. The other poster is correct in that copyright applies to works, not titles or names. So I'm guessing that the court order dealt with ownership of the trademark for the 27th Lancers "brand" name.

Now that makes sense. Thats the point I was trying to make earlier. DCI would , I believe ,have no right to anyones name ....it's theirs. DCI does not own any corps.

You could be right. But do not conclude this from the 27th Lancers case. DCI had no issue with the name being used, George Bonfiglio did ,as he was retired from Drum Corps then, and would no longer be in control of the new musical group's quality levels after the Finals exhibition of '94. So he himself brought suit. For all we know, the judge may have ruled in favor of Bonfiglio, in part, because of it's DCI documents presented in court. The unit was no longer wth DCI after the 94 DCI exhibition, but was about to continue on outside of DCI still using the name " 27th Lancers ". Until the judge squelched the name useage.

Edited by BRASSO

Interesting post by The Cadets and Hopkins on their face book page just a bit ago.

He mentions a 5pm dci meeting-..."I have to go to a DCI meeting...5pm in Indy.Love those...NOT!!!:-)

Love his professionalism.

Interesting post by The Cadets and Hopkins on their face book page just a bit ago.

He mentions a 5pm dci meeting-..."I have to go to a DCI meeting...5pm in Indy.Love those...NOT!!!:-)

Well, in fairness, nobody really likes meetings . . . especially in the thick of a competitive event. But you're right, it's bad form to post that publicly.

DCI does not own the rights to any corps' name, logo, or marks. In fact, the corps' give permission to DCI use their name, marks, etc in the functions of DCI, not the other way around.

And in a small way, that's really what's at the center of the debate here; who really "owns" the work of the corps, regardless of size; the drum corps themselves, or a monolith called "DCI"?

I support the general idea of DCI being the "league" for junior drum corps, and thought the original Coates/Gibbs proposal (Hopkins wasn't that involved in the idea, from a very reliable source) was clumsy and rude. But there are elements of this one aspect of the original G7 plan that strike me as reasonable. Performance fees for the major corps are a joke, compared to what their actual costs of production are and the amount of fan interest they generate. That being the case, if DCI doesn't want to reconsider the performance fees, why not give those corps an outlet where they can create events that will help bring their earned incomes into line with both the expenses involved in producing their shows and with the market-proved value of their names?

The idea of DCI was to be a co-op for the major corps, not to be indentured servitude by which they "owe" every other drum corps the lion's share of the income their work produces. While I'd hope there are third-way alternatives to the full-on WS proposal that could be used to promote the whole activity, it's silly for everyone else in DCI-land not to re-think the policies that handcuff the financial creativity of any member organization.

==

RE: George B; if he kept 27th alive as a paper organization (just kept filing the annual paperwork with the Mass Sec of State), then he would have had a legal organization known as the 27th Lancers. Or he could have trademarked the name. But DCI would have had no claim on anything one way or the other, since 27th was a standalone Mass. corporation. In any case, it would require some legal mechanism to retain control of the name - but 'copyright' wouldn't be among them. :thumbup:

Thing is, the guards in WGI, just like the corps in DCI, decided that it would be more efficient and cost effective to give their media rights to their circuits, allowing these circuits to produce DVDs, CDs, while giving a certain share of the proceeds back to their members. Many sports leagues do this as well. The NFL, I believe, controls virtually all of the marketing and merchandising rights of its teams . . . right down to the team names and logos. There is some complaining about this, and the occasional lawsuit, but the teams go along with it because they know it saves them a bundle of money and a lot of trouble to boot.

Now, if the G7 wants to leave DCI, great. But don't expect DCI to give up what it is legally entitled to without a fight.

I believe there is a problem with the G7 using the term "World Series" as it is Copyrighted by MLB just as the term "Super Bowl" is owned by pro football and cannot be used without consent from the NFL. I remember a few years ago DCI was going to use one of these terms to market the championships and had to change stratgey and use the phrase Marching Musics Major League.

I hope the G7 has recieved permission to use the "Wolrd Series" title for their planned shows or they could be in for an expensive legal battle with the MLB

There's always a directors meeting sometime early in finals week to make clear any changes in the logistics. I don't think there's too much to read into this one.