The World Series of Drum Corps

I'm not sure if they can use the term "World Series"...implies baseball and probably would get sued by that league...lol

I have not read this thing yet..so this is MY UNINFORMED opinion right now.

You may be right aboUt " World Series " WGI Originally was Winter Guard Olympics and had to change, they even used the olympic rings as a logo and on winner flags

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have repeatedly demanded that the proponents of the G7 plan provide some sort of quantifiable justification for their baseless claims of being "the draw". Every time I have made this request, it has gone unanswered.

But now, in this new proposal for the "World Series of Drum Corps", we have the answer to my request....undisputable proof of the drawing power and market value of the activity's top corps known as the G7....and a mechanism by which to quantify their superior drawing power and determine precisely how much more they are worth to show sponsors individually, or as a group:

Number of Facebook friends.

Based on this new information, I have no choice but to lend my total support to the "World Series of Drum Corps" concept.

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic about facebook here?....Please understand facebook is not a joke...I do not support this action by these groups...BUT Social marketing is something that cannot be ignored and they know that. It is also something I know a lot about, but of course those numbers to me are not all that impressive to say the least.

BUT in defense of your comments...I'm also not impressed with their quantifiable justification either.

Only the top eight corps compete at Murfreesboro as it is. I think the proposal likely included Murfreesboro because it's already a de facto World Series corps event.

Gotta disagree - one BIG important difference.

In the G7 Proforma numbers, they project Murfreesboro ticket sales at 4,000 with a bottom line of $71,000 that is split 7 ways.

Currently, DCI draws more than that, pays the corps and then puts the rest towards general expenses plus additional corps payouts and corps services. To use a round number, the G7 proposal is taking $100,000 from DCI so that they can each make about $7,500 more than they would have if they got a standard appearance fee.

(The $100,000 is estimated from the G7 projection of $71,000 net and based on DCI's higher ticket sales. Whoever runs the event will presumably make more money with higher ticket sales.)

Taking $100,000 directly from the DCI organization and their fellow brother corps is a pretty aggressive money grab.

(Just keep repeating - Drum Corps International is a cooperative fraternity of its member corps.)

Let me see if I understand this right. You're saying that as things are right now, the top eight corps put on a major show that draws $100,000 in revenue, and the only direct payment they receive is $2700 in performance fees? Well no wonder the G7 and World Series concepts have been proposed. When you put it like that, I'm only surprised that it took this long.

Let me see if I understand this right. You're saying that as things are right now, the top eight corps put on a major show that draws $100,000 in revenue, and the only direct payment they receive is $2700 in performance fees? Well no wonder the G7 and World Series concepts have been proposed. When you put it like that, I'm only surprised that it took this long.

I think equally important is all of the extra payments that DCI pays so the corps can hold their Murf show. For instance, performance rights, AV rights, judges, stadium, housing, security, stadium staff, advertising, ticketing, etc, etc, and etc (the list is long and distinguished). The cash payout to corps is only a part of the remuneration that corps get when DCI coordinates the show.

And is Murf a "corps sponsored" show? (dunno, really asking).

You make it sound like the DCI administration is hoarding money. They get $2700 for every show they compete in. Some shows make more than enough to cover that.... other do not make enough, so it balances out. And I really don't think Murfreesboro makes that much simply because it is a "top 8 only" show. If you substituted Madison, Troopers, and Pacific Crest for Crown, SCV, and Phantom, I bet the attendance would be nearly the same.

Only the top eight corps compete at Murfreesboro as it is. I think the proposal likely included Murfreesboro because it's already a de facto World Series corps event.

This year, the 2010 line up for Murfreesboro was decided on the feld of competition in 2010 of June and early July.

If this proposal goes through, the line up for 2011 Murfreesboro will have been decided on arbitrary competition that took place over pick'em years orchestrated by the schemers based upon criteria that has nothing to do current competition results. Do you see the difference now ?

From the proposal, as Jeff posted it:

Qualifications of Corps for Inclusion

Although the initial 7 corps (Blue Devils, Santa Clara Vanguard, Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Bluecoats, Cadets, Carolina Crown) will participate in this initiative based on a proven record of consistent performance and organizational excellence in recent years, a system was devised to allow additional corps to qualify for inclusion by performing at top 7 or better DCI position over a period of two consecutive years. Corps could also be disqualified from participation if those performance standards dropped below those levels over a three consecutive year period. Essentially, the system is designed to build these events exclusively around the very top levels of performer, performance and design.

So no, it's not arbitrary, and yes, it is based upon competitive results.

It is fair to say that, when aggregated, this confederation of organizations has unprecedented access to the target market.

The UnCivil War has begun........

Were I to be on the newly formed Executive Board of Directors of Drum Corps International, I would immediately bar these corps from competition, eject them from DCI and file multiple law suits for breach of contract should they continue this course and execute their plan for the 2011 season. The fact that they've already begun "independent negotiations" with stadiums for these dates is in direct conflict with the by-laws of DCI and the contract said corps have with DCI.

War OVER!

It is fair to say that, when aggregated, this confederation of organizations has unprecedented access to the target market.

The UnCivil War has begun........

Were I to be on the newly formed Executive Board of Directors of Drum Corps International, I would immediately bar these corps from competition, eject them from DCI and file multiple law suits for breach of contract should they continue this course and execute their plan for the 2011 season. The fact that they've already begun "independent negotiations" with stadiums for these dates is in direct conflict with the by-laws of DCI and the contract said corps have with DCI.

War OVER!

I hate to pick a nit, but nowhere in the proposal do they say they've begun negotiating with stadiums. Their sentence is "Shows are planned and are being finalized in the following locations:". This could equally mean they are planning and finalizing among themselves as much as it might mean they've already contacted stadiums.

It seems nonsensical that they'd commit to a stadium contract when they don't have the details of their tour finalized, and don't know what sort of roadblocks that DCI will throw at them.