Quarterfinals Open Thread

Random thoughts.

Many of the top 12 shows I've seen before this year that weren't working are finally starting to appeal to me. Musically, feeling ok about Glassmen, but the visual program is lackluster. Boston is appealing, if a little staid. Blue Stars still just not happening for me.

Madison rocked the house tonight. First time I've seen it this year, live or via video, that the show really grabbed me.

Cavaliers are on a roll. The gap between 1 and 2 might not get closed in the next two days, but it's probably not gonna get wider either.

I've always liked most of BD's show, and think (?) I'm now understanding it in a way I wasn't before. I wonder if they would have had an easier time of it with the fanbase this year if they'd made a point of explaining a little more clearly that all those snippets are supposed to be distorted reflections of their own past (along those lines, a better title would have been IN a Glass Darkly).

Crown's hornline is as professionall a sound as I've ever heard in drum corps. Show concept...not so much.

I could watch Vanguard's show again in a heartbeat. I know it's not everyone's cup of goulash, but the visual and musical programs are in perfect sync, and I appreciate them having the balls to be dangerous. The "horns into guard columns zig zag" is movement of the year, in my book.

Cadets new guard unis are huge improvements. I'd have them over Crown, personally, but can see the performance gap between them and the top three.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure that their soloists don't have mics? When I watched them rehearse in Dallas, one of the trumpet soloists was definitely using a wireless microphone. They may have taken it out, which is why I'm asking.

On the screen, they were right next to a mic on a stand.

You neglect to mention that the paradigm shift was preceded by seven years of 4th place disappointments (even an unprecedented 5th place finish in there!). Face it, the judges were no longer buying what the "old school" BD was selling. Adapt or die. Would you have them relegate themselves to the bottom of the top 5 (or worse) to fulfill your wish to see the "old" Blue Devils again?

As far as I'm concerned, they did what they had to do to remain competitive, they listened to what DCI and their judges were demanding, and they've been highly successful at it. Sure, I'd love to see "old school" BD again, but if we did they'd get tanked for it and probably finish somewhere around 8th.

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned there have been PLENTY of outstanding, classic BD shows since that shift (94 included), so as far as I'm concerned it's win win (and lots of wins lol).

Sorry, but I'm just not buying that. Every corps has their little slumps and peaks. I don't buy for one second that if Scouts had the talent in the hornline, drumline, and color guard that BD has right now, that they couldn't win with their show. Call me crazy, but if you're the best then you're the best...hands down.

Well, BD's guard has peaked. The only direction they can go is down, unless they manage to maintain a perfect 20.

They're my favorite color guard in DCI!! OMGsh, they were sooo good!!!! :lol::rolleyes: The BD have a weird show and I don't like their ending at all; however, they were scary clean. I was very impressed with the Cavaliers tonight. I also liked Phantom Regiment, Boston Crusaders, Carolina Crown, and Madison Scouts.

Sorry, but I'm just not buying that. Every corps has their little slumps and peaks. I don't buy for one second that if Scouts had the talent in the hornline, drumline, and color guard that BD has right now, that they couldn't win with their show. Call me crazy, but if you're the best then you're the best...hands down.

Funny you would bring up Madison, since they're actually a perfect specimen of a perennial competitor that couldn't adapt, and thus fell into obscurity and eventually out of finals entirely.

Great example. :lol:

Ok. You're crazy. Scouts would obviously score higher with better execution, but their show doesn't have anywhere near the depth required to place Top 5, let alone First. I think with great execution they could score as high as 6th (this year, at least), but no higher. Execution is only a part of the sheets, and without a great design, a corps can't win it all. Remember, the hallmark of ANY judged circuit is taking into account both the "how" (how clean) and the "what" (design).

Edited by perc2100

:lol:

And a :rolleyes: to the Bluecoats' guard as well!

Scratching my head over Crown's guard score... They're fielding one of the most musical, proficient guards this year. The spread between them and BD is surprising. Maybe they had an off night.

I thought Crown's guard did really well tonight and should have got higher than a 19. Bluecoats guard was awesome tonight.

With the exception of Coats getting completely hosed in brass (which baffles me), the recaps look about how I expected.

Ok. You're crazy. Scouts would obviously score higher with better execution, but their show doesn't have anywhere near the depth required to place Top 5, let alone First. I think with great execution they could score as high as 6th (this year, at least), but no higher. Execution is only a part of the sheets, and without a great design, a corps can't win it all. Remember, the hallmark of ANY judged circuit is taking into account both the "how" (how clean) and the "what" (design).

Well, for the sake of argument, wouldn't it stand to reason that if that level of talent was in place, then the depth would also have been written into the show? Same show, just more complex with higher demand to match the talent level. That, I believe, would be feasible.

By the way, I'm coincidentally watching "Shakespeare In Love." In an early scene the Queen is watching an audience-pandering comedic scene of a play and is obviously engaged completely by the play (as is are all the audience). Then during a beautiful soliloquy, the queen is dozing off, seemingly shutting off her brain and not caring to enough to want to take the thought-provoking stuff. Seems very reminiscent of Blue Devils this year: wanting the straight ahead same ol' same ol' spoon fed designs and no wanting any part of a show that challenges the brain.