Quarterfinals Open Thread

Hmm, what do you think about the ending? I'm excited to hear other thoughts, that's just what I got out of it.

It's a cool effect, and I LOVE their brass, think it takes a bit too long to develop, personally. As for the twist, if choosing Peter was the wrong choice, why does he come back and claim her (and it works)?

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine is currently marching with BAC and I have been communicating with him via text message most of the summer.

Tonight after their show, he texted me and told me that BAC had been docked 2 FULL points tonight for reasons that were unclear.

If anyone knows anything about this, please, let me know as I am very concerned.

Edited by sax1210

I finally understand Crown's show. It took a lot of viewings, but in just watching the guard, I get it now. It's not about a second chance at winning at all, if you really watch it and pay attention, you will see that (I know this will sound corny), but it's more about a second chance at love. If you know the back-story to last year's ending, Peter runs back to his own life, having to leave Tinkerbell behind in the fantasy world. Now fast forward to this show. Same character as before, and at the beginning of the show, with the Mahler, it's the fight between the two lovers, ending with the male lead striking down the female lead. Transition into the next part and Danzon, and it's her search for new love. Go to Nimrod, and she's found a new love, but still is conflicted about her old love. Enter again the Mahler Resurrection, and it's the fight between her two potential new lovers. We reach the first ending, and she chooses wrong, going back to her old love. The show rewinds, and she goes to the other love, with the Promise of Living playing signaling her right choice. But the real twist is that Promise of Living also signals Peter returning to claim his love, and the two go off into their own world. See, it makes sense now?

THANK YOU!! I didn't really get Crown's show at all and I wanted this exact sort of explanation. =/ Good job though Crown! Amazing sound and your guys' visual seems to have really tightened up lately! That was fun to see.

Oh and side note, I LOVED That they had Marc Slyvester In the booth and helped them "commentate" over a reply of a part of Blue Knights show, I was laughing so hard...

Right? Very Funny!

There have been more than a few comments over the summer arguing that (1) if a show can't be understood on one viewing, then it's a failure; and (2) if a show needs more than a couple short sentences to explain, then it's a failure. How do you feel about those propositions?

I guess I'll give you my thoughts (FWIW, I've seen Crown's show on FN three or four times, and a couple more on VOD and didn't GET it until reading fsubone's post).

I've liked Crown's show quite a bit this season. It hasn't grabbed me as much as last year's program (which I LOVED), but I still generally like their program. Seeing some of the details spelled out for me will help me enjoy the show even more, as I will be able to connect the dots more with some of the guard stuff mentioned by fsubone.

I have zero problems with a show offering enough material that I have to see it a few times to take it all in. I enjoy seeing movies multiple times to better understand/appreciate all of the information For example, I saw Inception twice and enjoyed it even more the second time, and I look forward to seeing Scott Pilgrim vs the World at least another time this week, after seeing it a special screening a few weeks ago, in order to "find" more easter egg jokes. I know why some people either don't have the means to see shows more than once per season (although honestly, for how cheap Fan Network is at the base option, you can stream the show live all you want after it's posted for a VERY reasonable price), or even worse refuse to want to dwell on a show concept and seek out all of the subtle elements. I love any type of well designed/executed show, whether it's Cadets fairly straight-forward show this year, or Crown's more complicated program.

Pass the Prozac.......... I LOVE BD's show :lol::rolleyes:

( and I HATE BD )

Just got back from the show after a looooooong walk back to our hotel down some dark streets of Indy. Quick hit comments:

- Smallest crowd I've ever seen for quarter finals. What the heck?? We walked right up and bought tickets in section 240 on the 50, 2 from a scalper under face value and one from the ticket window.

- But dang those are great seats!

Comments from the shows we saw:

- BK has a beautiful musical show, love it.

- BC had several surprising exposed mistakes tonight but I still really enjoy their show.

- SCV much much improved over Atlanta. Loved the new ending, the rest of the show still a little "out there" for me.

- PR has some nice subtle changes that really add to the show, like the spirit guide joining the hornline for the big push and the main guard girl re-appearing at the end in yellow. Incredible drums as usual. But seriously, 12th place in visual ensemble tonight, who is that judge???!!!!

- Cadets stepped it up a notch, what a hornline?!! New guard uniform just works for that show.

- Crown has the warmest sounding hornline, love the music in their show. The retro to 2009 is a nice touch if you know their show from last year. Otherwise for the newbies with us it sounded a bit out of place.

- Caviliers - I don't think their horns matched Cadets or Cavies but the drumline is on fire and the overall visual package is the best IMO. Yes, including over BD.

- Bluecoats - They are solid in every caption, and the show is engaging from start to finish. My winner for tonight but the judges don't agree.

- BD. Okay, I tried to watch them again with an open mind, and actually enjoyed them musically for most of the show. But come on, the tubas are more of a visual add on than a musical contributor. They barely play. And from my seat on the 50 the corps' drill was dirty in several places when they formed an actually formation. The straightline blocks moving left to right had a few players actually out of line. And as someone else posted here with all the free form movement, hiding behind mirrors, etc, how is a judge supposed to judge it?

No real surprises in placement tonight except Cavies over Bluecoats.

Friday night we're watching warmups, so we'll see the shows again on Saturday.