Quarterfinals Open Thread

Fair enough, I obviously read something into your comment that was not there. My mistake...

It's all good.

Side-note: SCV is, by far, my favorite corps that I didn't march in. I'm jealous that you got to be part of such a wonderful organization that has put out the majority of my favorite drum corps shows of all time.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, to the contrary, I never said the book wasn't challenging. The demand is high. But a hornline THAT consistently good needs to be heard! Let's hear them play entire passages of music so we can actually ENJOY how outstanding they are. I'm talkin about a hornline so good, they can get women pregnant just by looking at them...a hornline so good that the corps can finish in 5th and they STILL win high brass (1993). Blow us down, slap us around and make us LOVE it!

IMO, that doesn't happen anymore. They are all tease and no consummation. Very frustrating.

Gotcha - I share some of that sentiment but still gotta give them kudos for being so dang good.

they can get women pregnant just by looking at them.

:lol:

Thoughts from the theater:

Didn't care for the mic'd brass players. Just PLAY LOUDER, guys! Hell, BD proved that you don't need mic's to have a soloist heard.

I thought that too until I saw a mic on a stand in the back of the pit that was aimed directly to the field where their soloists were always standing??? It was NOT being used by anyone in the pit.

Because it saddens me. Not hostile...hurt. As a horn guy, I was always in love with the Devils hornlines...especially as a lead. Some of my favorite shows have been BD shows. You're assuming I'm talking about just this show, but I'm not. I saw the paradigm shift for them happen in 1994. So this is 16 years in the making. It's just sad to me that they have strayed so far from who they've always been.

You neglect to mention that the paradigm shift was preceded by seven years of 4th place disappointments (even an unprecedented 5th place finish in there!). Face it, the judges were no longer buying what the "old school" BD was selling. Adapt or die. Would you have them relegate themselves to the bottom of the top 5 (or worse) to fulfill your wish to see the "old" Blue Devils again?

As far as I'm concerned, they did what they had to do to remain competitive, they listened to what DCI and their judges were demanding, and they've been highly successful at it. Sure, I'd love to see "old school" BD again, but if we did they'd get tanked for it and probably finish somewhere around 8th.

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned there have been PLENTY of outstanding, classic BD shows since that shift (94 included), so as far as I'm concerned it's win win (and lots of wins lol).

Edited by WestCoaster

It's all good.

Side-note: SCV is, by far, my favorite corps that I didn't march in. I'm jealous that you got to be part of such a wonderful organization that has put out the majority of my favorite drum corps shows of all time.

Appreciate that - it was truly outstanding from my perspective to have that opportunity.

HOLY CRAP would ya look at that recap? First person to say "slotting" is getting pistol-whipped. :rolleyes: BD in 4th in Music Rep 1, Phantom in 12th in Vis Ens Excellence (10th in Visual Ens), but a sweep in Perc. SCV in 10th in a few subcaptions. BD gets a perfect guard score at quarters (Nowhere to go but down, as I see it, so now they can't make a single error for the next two nights to maintain, with Bloo only a few tenths from perfect themselves), along with a 10 in Visual Ens Comp. The spread from 1st to 2nd stands at 1.35, which is daunting, but BD can't quite order their rings yet. MAN I'm excited! :lol:

You're right on the money when you talk about visual addiction. I guess to be fair, we've gotta blame Cavaliers from about 99-now for that one. They pioneered the beauty of designing around the visual program, which in turn "forced" designers to integrate their music & visual even more than previously. IMO Blue Devils kicked that up a notch (and to a smaller extent so have Bluecoats) by approaching their design similar to how WGI groups do. While I have not been in love with most of their shows, they have hit their stride and are undeniably producing shows that max out all captions of the sheets when performed well.

Very true. Cavies were first to really grab ahold and run with it. That's where I point to '94 as the paradigm shift for BD. It was baby steps for them. Cavies went full-bore, but I think BD (maybe even unknowingly) was the catalyst.

Based on the recaps the two corps that look the most poised to advance a spot in the standings are the Bluecoats and Blue Stars. A little better showing for Bloooo in ensemble visual and GE for Blue Stars and each moves up.

Yes - it seems the judging community has embraced the concept of a corps' placement should be determined by the proper scoring in each and every subcaption. So if a corps is having a VERY bad night in one small area, knock 'em down - that's the job...and I applaud the judges for calling it like they hear it, and scoring folks 'all over the map'. That seems far more realistic than when we'd see overall placements matching almost perfectly all the captions (except percussion...they've been great at the whole fairness thing for decades...).