Quarterfinals Open Thread

There have been more than a few comments over the summer arguing that (1) if a show can't be understood on one viewing, then it's a failure; and (2) if a show needs more than a couple short sentences to explain, then it's a failure. How do you feel about those propositions?

Well, that would mean that many of this year's shows are failures. Pretty much everyone besides Madison and Cadets I think. All the rest of them took at least two viewings. And I could have explained Crown in one sentence, I just felt like elaborating to really get the point across.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Evidence of what? That your rant was childish gibberish? I think it speaks for itself.

Do you ever have anything constructive to say? I mean seriously? How was it gibberish? Please explain yourself, if you truly are as mature as you try and make yourself out to be.

I loved the comments from Dennis...especially on the topic of the "pre-show". He did not hold back, he said he don't like it and would like to see the rule changed. I love the comments of De Lucia during the Quarters show every year.

Thanks guys for agreeing with me on Crown's show. Just my read on it, I was hoping I was right. It took a few viewings, and tonight it really clicked, as they focused on the guard a lot in the theatre. And to someone who said that picking Peter was the wrong choice, I meant that when she ran down to Side 1, that guy was the wrong choice. Sorry for the confusion

Thanks guys for agreeing with me on Crown's show. Just my read on it, I was hoping I was right. It took a few viewings, and tonight it really clicked, as they focused on the guard a lot in the theatre. And to someone who said that picking Peter was the wrong choice, I meant that when she ran down to Side 1, that guy was the wrong choice. Sorry for the confusion

I loved the comments from Dennis...especially on the topic of the "pre-show". He did not hold back, he said he don't like it and would like to see the rule changed. I love the comments of De Lucia during the Quarters show every year.

I agree. My favorite was when they were interviewing Marc Sylvester and he was talking about engaging the crowd and said something about diversity in drum corps and for every BD there needs to be a Scouts or BK to put out crowd pleasing shows, to which Delucia replied "I'll take more of that!"

I laughed heartily at the frankness of his blurted comment. lol No need to ask where Dennis stands. :lol:

I want Marc Sylvester's hat! His explanation was the funniest moment of the entire night. "Get your feet in time or I'll hurt you!" Can I get that put on a shirt, or hat, or anything?

Just arrived home from the stadium... what a day (and night)!

Some thoughts:

I forgot how dynamic drum corps is live (even thought it.s only been a few weeks since I saw my last live show).

I have never heard that many corps explore the medium-soft levels of playing, and do it extremely well. I was hugely impressed with BAC, Blue Stars, Crown, and some others I can't think of now with their outstanding control at all dynamic levels.

Phantom's percussion is that good..... I have never heard a drumline play like that. After their drum feature, I just turned to my friends and said..... "perfection."

Also, speaking of Phantom..... you could really tell they designed this show for the indoor setting. Excellent use of the extra reverb...... but.... I really wish I could experience this show sans audience. Much of the beauty is taken away by needless applause (especially the last note).

I was extremely impressed with Cadets brass.... they had just about my favorite brass sound of the night, and all the articulation in the show is just ridiculous. Over the web-casts I didn't get that level of depth in their sound.

The Cavaliers did not engage me like I thought they would.... don't get me wrong, I was still entertained, and the guard is awesome, but the whole show seemed kind of "forced." Maybe I thought there was a little too much "spazzing out" by the members... maybe I was just tired by that point in the show.

As for our leader (the Blue Devils), WOW!!! They are in a completely different league in my opinion. If I were judging I would have them up about 4-5 points up on everyone else at least when considering the show as a whole (not individual captions). I did notice a significant amount of dirt in their drum feature... something I have not heard at other shows in the season. I think that was an anomaly tonight, and on Friday and Saturday, they will play better and be right back in the thick of the battle for the drum trophy. This Blue Devils show is like no other I have ever seen. It really is sensory overload, and they pull you right in from the very beginning, never letting up. It is indescribable how many emotions or moods they take you through in just 11 minutes. And is that show really 11 minutes..... While all the other shows felt about that long, to me the Blue Devils seemed like they only performed for about 6 minutes.... the show was that engaging it just flew by.

I know I already posted in the "most entertaining ranking," but here is my new list after seeing all the shows live in the same setting.

My "most entertaining" corps ranking of the top 12 corps:

1.Blue Devils

2.Cadets

3.Crown

4.SCV

5.Phantom

6.BAC

7.Madison

8.Bluecoats

9.Blue Stars

10.Cavaliers

11.Blue Knights

12.Glassmen

The surprises for me were Cadets, SCV and BAC (in a good way), and I thought I would like Cavies more.

Thank you to all drum corps for a very enjoyable afternoon and evening.