DCI story on CNN.com

Yes Dean but they charter at least two because the rest of the fleet is in to bad of shape to take a grueling tour ! Smitty

Thank you, I stand corrected. Congrats to the Glassmen Family for making Finals again. I never want to take this for granted. Its to easy to say oh well we made Finals again. It's not easy when everybody and their brother is knocking at the door. It is clear to me that any Corps below the Glassmen in ranking, must come through the Glassmen to enter the Top 12. To me at this point in time it will not be an easy task. Congrats to the Scouts for doing just that this year. Since 1993 the Glassmen have been out of Finals only twice. Not bad for a non-G7 Corps.

Dean

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm honestly stunned. Like others said, I expected some sort of "catch" but this is one of the best media articles I've seen about drum corps.

Oh and the guy who vandalized Hopkins' car, thanks. I mean we're already known as "rattled purists" and vandalizing someone's car over marching band just makes the anti-woodwind group look like a bunch of nut jobs. Also props for having it mentioned in the mainstream media that people are making death threats over woodwinds, I'm sure a foolish (probably written while intoxicated) threat via email will really get him to change his mind. Then people booing like a bunch of elementary kids really reinforces how major league and mature we are. I really don't know who is worse, the G7 and pro-woodwind crew, or the donkeys who use not an ounce of common sense in opposing these people.

Edited by Abbevillekid26

I'm honestly stunned. Like others said, I expected some sort of "catch" but this is one of the best media articles I've seen about drum corps.

Oh and the guy who vandalized Hopkins' car, thanks. I mean we're already known as "rattled purists" and vandalizing someone's car over marching band just makes the anti-woodwind group look like a bunch of nut jobs. Also props for having it mentioned in the mainstream media that people are making death threats over woodwinds, I'm sure a foolish (probably written while intoxicated) threat via email will really get him to change his mind. Then people booing like a bunch of elementary kids really reinforces how major league and mature we are. I really don't know who is worse, the G7 and pro-woodwind crew, or the donkeys who use not an ounce of common sense in opposing these people.

I know sounds so rediculous over woodwinds doesnt it..PASSION is one thing but like in everything it brings out extremeists, I wonder if those who chose to be that passionate over WWs are that way with war, the oil spill etc....WWs seen so un-important in the big pic

I know sounds so rediculous over woodwinds doesnt it..PASSION is one thing but like in everything it brings out extremeists, I wonder if those who chose to be that passionate over WWs are that way with war, the oil spill etc....WWs seen so un-important in the big pic

I'm not trying to trivialize the G7/woodwind issue because that really would over the line for me, but as you said woodwinds aren't important to the average person reading CNN who know nothing of DCI. I really wonder what people think reading an article about "marching music's major league" and read that car vandalism and death threats are involved. Passion isn't always a bad thing and I definitely agree with you that it would be wonderful if people were more passionate about important issues, but really the extremism isn't going to help us.

I'm not trying to trivialize the G7/woodwind issue because that really would over the line for me, but as you said woodwinds aren't important to the average person reading CNN who know nothing of DCI. I really wonder what people think reading an article about "marching music's major league" and read that car vandalism and death threats are involved. Passion isn't always a bad thing and I definitely agree with you that it would be wonderful if people were more passionate about important issues, but really the extremism isn't going to help us.

Im sure if the average person reads it as you said..they probably are laughing at the radical nuts and picturing the 1950s bad geek with their clarinet under their arm vandalizing and theorizing...lol

So, you would rather people stuck around for the sake of the corps? These kids pay a lot of money to do drum corps, they have the right to go wherever they want to. That really doesn't make any sense.

There is such a thing as honoring your committment and the contract you signed.

Yeah it's "only" Drum Corps but where are the life lessons and character DC supposedly teaches.

Edit: Just so no misunderstanding, this is about members leaving corps in mid-season.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Junior hockey and ball leagues have quite a lot of rules about signing, and how and when a kid can move to another team. "Carding" would not be a bad thing for corps if things actually fracture along the lines so many fear. The corps holds your card for the season and that is where you play. It seems little different from trade deadline days; at some point, you have to win or lose, or in our case, just entertain, with the members you have. Membership is a mutual agreement between the organization and the member, and it comes with rights and priveleges, yes, but also rules and obligations. Get all that in place, and I bet any drum corps anywhere can do anything possible within its specific limitations.

The sad part in all this is that it is about power and money, about control, and less and less about the product on the field, and that includes most of our discussions. It's the "business" of drum corps, and if we could straighten some of that out, maybe we could bring some smaller but no less entertaining corps back into our communities -- because "community" is what seems to have been lost since the inception of DCI.

. . .some interesting things to note:

1. This is posted to CNN's International edition, *not* the US edition. . . which, while good for our presence around the world, may leave some of the US audience out of the loop. If you can, repost this on Facebook or Twitter the link to folks to get some more eyes on the story. Use the links the very bottom of the story; makes it very easy. :thumbup:

2. The author of this story posts from an Asian perspective most of the time and is listed as a "business producer/international business editor" on CNN's website. If you check his LinkedIn profile, that's no suprise, given his background.

It is interesting that he would latch onto this, of all things, from halfway around the world . . .but, hey, I think we'll all take the international press (especially the nod to DCP . . .sweet), and perhaps we have fans in more places than we assume. :thumbup:

In Indy, the one thing talked about most besides "thousdands" and a lot of laughter was the nod to DCP. So much for a site that doesn't mean anything eh?

I declined

:thumbup:

I was waiting to see a quote from Jeff Ream.

In Indy, the one thing talked about most besides "thousdands" and a lot of laughter was the nod to DCP. So much for a site that doesn't mean anything eh?

One of my fellow fencing armorers sent me a link to the site (I tend to run corps videos on my laptop during tournaments for background noise).