Semi Finals Open Thread

It comes from The Creed of the United States Marines (aka The Rifleman's Creed). Major General William H. Rupertus wrote it during World War II. I agree the Kubrick used it to serve his own artistic purposes in a film ....... but it does not come from Stanley Kubrick or an anti-war film.

In that, I would consider it a nod to our military roots first and foremost. Secondly, I would say that the Kubrick film and the scene with the guy on the toilet with a rifle in his mouth first pops into our well cultured fans in DCI. I'm sure they made the correlation.

Why can't it be both?

Personally, I would consider myself an uber movie fan. I absolutely love Kubrick's work, and while Full Metal Jacket is ALMOST a great movie, the film is good and memorable (heck even the US Marine's have a recruitment TV commercial that uses a shot from Full Metal Jacket). I have never served in the armed forces, though I have had some friends and colleagues (and students: yikes that kinda makes me old) serve. That being said, while it's hard to NOT think of Kubrick's film, I did think of the 'Rifleman's Creed' the first time I heard Cavalier's show, and I associate BOTH the original Marine intent of the Creed, as well as Kubrick's awesome juxtaposition, with Cavaliers show and I kind of think that both interpretations work.

Personally, I would consider myself an uber movie fan. I absolutely love Kubrick's work, and while Full Metal Jacket is ALMOST a great movie, the film is good and memorable (heck even the US Marine's have a recruitment TV commercial that uses a shot from Full Metal Jacket). I have never served in the armed forces, though I have had some friends and colleagues (and students: yikes that kinda makes me old) serve. That being said, while it's hard to NOT think of Kubrick's film, I did think of the 'Rifleman's Creed' the first time I heard Cavalier's show, and I associate BOTH the original Marine intent of the Creed, as well as Kubrick's awesome juxtaposition, with Cavaliers show and I kind of think that both interpretations work.

Yeah and since I am in the military, I LOVE IT. My buddy who came with me to finals (who is also in the military) also loved it, but then again, he loves anything that highlights the military in a positive light.

I'm going on record in not being happy with Madison/BAC spread. Even though I actually ENJOY Madison's show better this year by a long shot I'm not too sure if they should be only within tenths of BAC. Of course I was not on the field..so what the heck do I know...

Edited by Liahona

Pardon my stupidity.... What is "INT"?

You will be more stupid if you learn what INT is all about. Let it drop for goodness sakes.

There's a attraction/repulsion game going on throughout most of the basic training sequence in Full Metal Jacket, and Kubrick knew it.

You're expected to feel for Pyle, but he's an annoying nebbish (and then, you recognize that he's just a psycho, even before the latrine scene). Your head says you should dislike the Ermey character, but he's still very appealing, and when he disappears from the film, the energy of the movie takes a nosedive

I liken the way that Pyle was treated similar to some (maybe many) of the guys we probably all marched with at one time or another. We never had the soap-in-a-sock blanket party, but we did have public snuggy's.

The weakest link being targeted through the group. Good thing that movie came out after I aged out. You know how people like to copy cat.

lighter subjet! lighter subject!! :lookaround:

Both a nod to Full Metal Jacket and the military? That's like a nod to both PETA and McDonalds. So, the answer is no. :)

I've ate some of their fries that tasted furry ........ but I don't see the correlation since Lamb and Otter aren't on their menu.

(gee I'm tired .. I was thinking fur and not abuse ... abuse is maddening .... so YES, I see the correlation with Cavies show now)

Both a nod to Full Metal Jacket and the military? That's like a nod to both PETA and McDonalds. So, the answer is no. :)

FMJ isn't a simple "anti-war" movie. If it was, it'd be unwatchable, like any number of other "war is bad" movies. Note the number of military guys who LOVE it. Not because it's "anti war", but because it has its own type of truth about the experience of training and combat.

Either that, or they just really get a kick out of hearing "me so hohhny!".... :lookaround:

Edited by mobrien

I liken the way that Pyle was treated similar to some (maybe many) of the guys we probably all marched with at one time or another. We never had the soap-in-a-sock blanket party, but we did have public snuggy's.

The weakest link being targeted through the group. Good thing that movie came out after I aged out. You know how people like to copy cat.

lighter subjet! lighter subject!! :lookaround:

But then they add, "razzle, dazzle" and "boom chocka locka" all they were missing was "army training" :)