Star of Indiana--how did they do?

Since I've already been corrected on this (knowing full well that my perception of experience does not always match factual history), the word I should have used was Universally Respected.

With regards to your post, you show an interesting example of why some people boo'd. Either the fans loved Cavies that much (and I think this was true), or their fan base and alumns boo'd in poor taste (possibly also true, but who would ever know?). I think there has been in a shift in the reasons people boo a result.

I have seen Madison's score boo'd many times in the past. They weren't booing the Scouts or really any corps ahead of them .. they were booing the judges.

I have seen Blue Devils boo'd for winning and boo'd for losing (when they rightfully had a shot at the title .. this is also a case where they are booing the judges).

I have seen Cadets boo'd for their programming choices. I've also seen this happen this year with BD.

Does it not seem that there has been a shift over time where the complaints of the audience are no longer directed at the judges decision ... but directed at the design staff's of the corps? Booing and outcome is not the end of the world .. and no ADULT over 17 on the field should take it as such. I'm sure they're fully aware over the course of a season why someone in the stands would boo. Some (BD) would wear it as a badge of honor ..... knowing that there are hostile fans that don't want them to win .. and maybe that's how they will remember last night.

I think in Star's case ... it should have been (in 92) a realization that it was because they were winning and that Cavies were the fan favorite. I think in 93 it should have been a realization that it was because of the it was a combination of design and winning alot of shows. I find it hard to believe that Jim Mason never stood up and said so .... in either year. But through all of it ............. I know of NO ONE personally (that I marched with, that I taught with, that I learned from or went to school with) that disliked Star or ever boo'd them. That might not sound like much ... but I got around back in the day. I was at 92 and 93 finals and saw at least 10 shows each year ..... I never heard the booing .... and I never saw anyone do anything but cheer for them.

There was a video of Star 92 AT Bloomington for the DCI Mid-America show on the site that shant be named. All I saw was a crowd going APE every time they hit a star in their show .... every time they hit a GE moment .. every time they ended a song .... right up to the last note. The crowd loved them. Some say they were boo'd when the scores were announced. Well tell me ......... which is true? The crowd loved them or boo'd them? Them being "THE KIDS" (who were also mostly over 18 back then = Adults). Or were the loyalist fans of other corps doing the booing? Or was the design being boo'd? I think it IS pretty logical to think that a corps director would have a talk with their membership if something like that occurred and explain to them why. I know the Cadets had many sitdowns with Hop in 05 about it ... and definitely in 06 and 08. Why would Jim Mason do differently? I seriously question that.

Star did get alot of flack for being "The best corps money can buy" .. blah blah blah. Those were catchphrases being thrown around by most of the community back then ... and they were ignorant statements made out of jealousy and ignorance (they seriously didn't know the structure of how Bill Cook set up the corps and the companies that funded it). Were they respected as a rising force within DCI? You bet. Were they respected as excellent performers? Absolutely! Were there morons who chose to boo them because they beat their favorite corps ... or because they put on a show that people didn't get at the time? YES they did. Was it every show and deafening? heck no .......... and painting it that way is just wrong.

It's interesting that you use Star's home show as an example of them not getting booed. Of course, they were applauded

at the Bloomington show.

Also, as an alum, I attended the 92 Preview of Champions show in Nashville, Tenn. The crowd that night was "less than thrilled" with Star winning that show. In fact, as I was walking back to my car that night wearing my corps jacket, I was even booed. But hey, I guess they were just booing the designers of my jacket. Right?

Tony

Edited by starmello

Point made as remembering 'who won in 94...?'

BD (singlehandedly).

Also, I agree with those who note that the reason why Star didn't march is because there's no way these alumni could have replicated the breakneck-speed, whiplash drills that they mastered, especially in the early '90s. So, why even try? Alumni corps want to bring back that for which they are known, but there's simply no way for Star's alumni to recapture their visual masterpieces, so they focused on the musical. I briefly noticed the absence of drill, and didn't really think about it much till I read the explanations here. But with a wonderful guard performance to enhance the music and anecdotes from the JumboTron, I found it breathtaking!

I loved it. However, since SOI was during the period when I dropped out of watching corps and disappeared before I came back, can someone please tell me what the significance of the pink shirts was? My first thought was "Oh my!" and not in a good way. I'm assuming it had something to do with past shows?

Star's very first uniform was magenta (hot pink) with a white star. Personally, I always found it very striking, and it was my favorite of all the uniforms that they wore; I will always identify them with that color (from the Star Alumni and DCI websites):

lg_img.jpg10_27_2006_Star_1985.jpg

Also from the DCI website, our own Sara Julian!

10_27_2006_star_julian.jpg

Sorry, but this is simply untrue.

They were ROUNDLY booed in 92 for daring to win the prelims, and the squeals of delight at their ultimate misfortune on finals night were absolutely indicative of derision from a large contingent of the crowd. I even had conversations with members of their staff about it, they were thoroughly disgusted and angered by the boorishness of the crowds (93 had yet to happen, although the programming decisions DID contain a bit of "in yer face!" attitude based on years past and the treatment they received).

I also recall them being booed in 91, and even as far back as 88 in a backwater show where they beat the beloved Cavies (totally deserved to beat them, too...they were FAR better at that point in the season but noone cared).

They were boo'd at both Preview of Champions and Finals in 1991. There certainly was a lot of applause too, but nobody should kid themselves that Star was universally loved in any of their 4 years in contention.

It's interesting that you use Star's home show as an example of them not getting booed. Of course, they were applauded

at the Bloomington show.

Also, as an alum, I attended the 92 Preview of Champions show in Nashville, Tenn. The crowd that night was "less than thrilled" with Star winning that show. In fact, as I was walking back to my car that night wearing my corps jacket, I was even booed. But hey, I guess they were just booing the designers of my jacket. Right?

Tony

Tony, I only brought up that show because I believe it has already been sited specifically as a booing location of Star that year. Otherwise, I would have left it out.

I'm not trying to say that people didn't have discontent for your corps. I'm not trying to say that nobody ever booed Star. I didn't march with the corps and I wasn't on the field every night with you .... or walking to the bus in a Star Jacket. I can only recount my own memories and I perceived. I can only make comments on what those around me did or said ......... what my colleague's, students, friends and fellow marchers felt for your corps. Even with the standard grumblings of the time ......... your supporters were just as enthusiastic ............ count me as one of them. I think it's fair to say that when sampling my circle of friends (and I would count them well over a few hundred at the time) ... you had more than 85% support, admiration, respect and love from those I knew.

That's all I'm saying. I hope it adds to the "full circle" feeling that Star Alumni felt after their Semi's performance this past week. Just know that it wasn't the world against Star. It was a group of morons displaying ignorance and jealousy. I thank you and your fellow alumni for their contributions to the activity ... and will always hold Star in my heart with deep affection.

Ok I hope this will put the booing part of this thread to rest and then we can get back to what people thought specifically of the performance Friday night. Yes we were booed on many occassions and also were treated very coldly in most situations during our performance. In instances when the crowd would be up for anyone else they would purposely show no response. But you know what... that is their choice as paying customers and what they chose to do at the time. Did it hurt us?? YES it definitely did and is something that stayed with us until Friday night.

I want to thank everyone that was in attendance Friday night in making it hands down the highlight of my drum corps career. It was very hard to fight the emotions and tears back as we came onto the field and received a very sincere and respectful standing ovation. Then when we hit the opening chord of Praise Ye we got the first "Holy Cow" moment and fans were on the feet and it kept growing until the final chord of Praise Ye where you can definitely see in the bootleg videos how they were going crazy. That right there made all the work, commitment, and sacrifice everyone that participated made to be on that field.

But it was not over.... we continued to get response throughout the performance and then came Medea..... that was so fun to perform and see the absolute crazy reaction that came throughout. WOW that was fun!!!!

Then after we were done and we circled up as a hornline to do our traditional warm-down and put the horns to bed it got even better. We ended up with a large majority of the age outs inside the arc wanting more. We did a little warm-up then played Praise Ye and When You Wish again for the kids. That was the perfect way for a drum corps career and a drum corps to end and say goodbye.

Again, thank you so much to everyone in attendance and for those watching with such great things to say. Not to be repetitive but it was hands down the best experience of my drum corps career and honestly other than events with my son probably the best of my life to this point.

Tony, I only brought up that show because I believe it has already been sited specifically as a booing location of Star that year. Otherwise, I would have left it out.

I'm not trying to say that people didn't have discontent for your corps. I'm not trying to say that nobody ever booed Star. I didn't march with the corps and I wasn't on the field every night with you .... or walking to the bus in a Star Jacket. I can only recount my own memories and I perceived. I can only make comments on what those around me did or said ......... what my colleague's, students, friends and fellow marchers felt for your corps. Even with the standard grumblings of the time ......... your supporters were just as enthusiastic ............ count me as one of them. I think it's fair to say that when sampling my circle of friends (and I would count them well over a few hundred at the time) ... you had more than 85% support, admiration, respect and love from those I knew.

That's all I'm saying. I hope it adds to the "full circle" feeling that Star Alumni felt after their Semi's performance this past week. Just know that it wasn't the world against Star. It was a group of morons displaying ignorance and jealousy. I thank you and your fellow alumni for their contributions to the activity ... and will always hold Star in my heart with deep affection.

All's good here. In no way did I mean to say that you did any of the 'booing". And, the year that I marched with Star (87), I don't remember any boo's. Afterall, who would boo a circus, right? lol

All the best.

Tony