Dan Acheson contract renewed as DCI Executive Director

I guess we’ll see how DCI does without this year’s top seven plus BDB, SCVC and whoever else bolts. I have a feeling that a compromise will happen and Dan will be out of a job.

You haven't been paying attention, have you? The Board, when it still had Gee 7 in it, REMOVED Dan. Then the full board convened, showed the Gee 7 board members the door....and back came Dan. So, I'm thinking, we won't be plowing that row again.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hop already posted yesterday that Cadets WILL be a full member of DCI next year and that things WILL be worked out!!!

Congrats to Dan Acheson...and thanks!

Well, you can't get everything you want. Hop can leave DCI whenever he wants. Tomorrow would be okay. (yes, that's mean. Sorry, but this gets my anger up).

You haven't been paying attention, have you? The Board, when it still had Gee 7 in it, REMOVED Dan. Then the full board convened, showed the Gee 7 board members the door....and back came Dan. So, I'm thinking, we won't be plowing that row again.

I think you’ve have taken a few too many pucks to the ole noggin. Without the G7 DCI will be nothing. All the sponsors (money), and contest organizers will follow the big boys. Don’t fool yourself, if Madison is invited to join the party, they will. Oh, I’m so tired of the “education” argument! What education? Sure, members learn the value of hard work, dedication and teamwork. You can learn the same lessons playing little league or joining a community theatre. Playing the same charts over and over while running around a football field isn’t going to help you get a seat with the New York Philharmonic.

Well, you can't get everything you want. Hop can leave DCI whenever he wants. Tomorrow would be okay. (yes, that's mean. Sorry, but this gets my anger up).

What else would he do? I mean, seriously? He heads an organization that is on a management and financial roller coaster in an extreme niche community where he is known for not being very nice to work with. How do you position that for a job anywhere else? He survives in DCI largely because he is family. And as much as you may roll your eyes at and avoid crazy old Uncle Hal, who shows up to family reunion loud and soused, it's rare that anyone actually stands up to him...and God knows you never actually turn him out. He's family. He is what he is, and you just find ways to work around him.

The thing that baffles me is that you never, EVER give Uncle Hal the keys to the car, which is what appears to have happened with this G7 thing. I expect stuffed shirt blustering from Hop and Gibbs, but this actually surprises me from the others. Someone else posted that they think they're just following the scent of more money. But of all the people I can think of getting in bed with, Hop and Gibbs would be the last.

Maybe I've totally mistaken who the others really are, though. I have to say, I'm disappointed in my alma mater (Crown) and SCV for their involvement. I expected better.

What else would he do? I mean, seriously? He heads an organization that is on a management and financial roller coaster in an extreme niche community where he is known for not being very nice to work with. How do you position that for a job anywhere else? He survives in DCI largely because he is family. And as much as you may roll your eyes at and avoid crazy old Uncle Hal, who shows up to family reunion loud and soused, it's rare that anyone actually stands up to him...and God knows you never actually turn him out. He's family. He is what he is, and you just find ways to work around him.

The thing that baffles me is that you never, EVER give Uncle Hal the keys to the car, which is what appears to have happened with this G7 thing. I expect stuffed shirt blustering from Hop and Gibbs, but this actually surprises me from the others. Someone else posted that they think they're just following the scent of more money. But of all the people I can think of getting in bed with, Hop and Gibbs would be the last.

Maybe I've totally mistaken who the others really are, though. I have to say, I'm disappointed in my alma mater (Crown) and SCV for their involvement. I expected better.

Don't forget, Hoppy and Gibbs are joined at the Hip.

-Bill

It is a great day for DCI ! Dan comes from the ranks and understands all sides of DCI . He marched , he taught and he was a director . 14 years or 30 years is NOT too long if the person is doing a great job and achieving the goals and directives laid out by the Board . If i had to pick one person i trusted with moving DCI into the future with unity it is Dan ! There are still tough roads ahead and much to be discussed as it relates to the business of DCI . The one thing that is not an issue is Dan and his ability to bring people together for the common good . Maybe now , The Directors can find the common ground and build on the needs that are important to continue DCI and the services it provides . Royer, Jones , Warren , Bonfiglio, Howard , Did just that in the beginning . They some how managed to find the common ground and build on that foundation and i believe with Dan's leadership todays group of directors can do the same in todays DCI .This is a positive step in that direction . Wish them the very best for success !

I think you’ve have taken a few too many pucks to the ole noggin. Without the G7 DCI will be nothing. All the sponsors (money), and contest organizers will follow the big boys. Don’t fool yourself, if Madison is invited to join the party, they will. Oh, I’m so tired of the “education” argument! What education? Sure, members learn the value of hard work, dedication and teamwork. You can learn the same lessons playing little league or joining a community theatre. Playing the same charts over and over while running around a football field isn’t going to help you get a seat with the New York Philharmonic.

Peter Bond has been a member of the Metropolitan Opera trumpet section since 1992 and has a somewhat unusual musical background for an orchestra musician. Mr. Bond grew up playing in a junior drum and bugle corps in his hometown of Rockford, Illinois, later becoming a devotee of big band jazz in High School. Mr. Bond pursued his interest in big band playing at Western Illinois University, where he earned a BA in music. In 1980 he accepted an assistantship at Georgia State University in Atlanta, where he began serious study of classical playing with Atlanta Symphony principal trumpeter John Head. Mr. Bond received a master’s degree in performance in 1981 and remained in Atlanta for six years, working with the Atlanta Symphony, Atlanta Ballet, Charleston (SC) Symphony, brass quintets, and chamber groups. In 1987, Mr. Bond was appointed Principal Trumpet of the New Mexico Symphony Orchestra in Albuquerque, where he remained until joining the Met Orchestra as second trumpet. In addition to a full schedule of opera and symphonic concerts, Mr. Bond also teaches one day a week at Rutgers University. In what could be viewed as coming full circle, Mr. Bond has spent the last several summers on the road, coaching the Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps; the same youth group in which he played.

Christopher Martin holds the Adolph Herseth Principal Trumpet chair of the CSO. He came to the CSO after five years as principal of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, where he was praised as a “polished soloist with effortless, understated virtuosity” by the Atlanta Journal Constitution. He previously was associate principal of the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Mr. Martin, a native of Marietta, Georgia, comes from a musical family. His father, Freddy Martin, is a band director for a prestigious Georgia private school, and his mother, Lynda Martin, sings in the Atlanta Symphony Chorus. While a member of the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra, Mr. Martin trained with then-Atlanta Symphony Orchestra trumpeter Larry Black. He later received his bachelor’s degree in trumpet performance in 1997 from the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, New York, where his primary teachers were Charles Geyer and Barbara Butler. As Principal Trumpet of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, he can be heard on a number of recent recordings, including the ASO’s 2003 Grammy Award-winning recording of Ralph Vaughan Williams' A Sea Symphony conducted by Robert Spano.

(They didn't list in the biography that Chris marched in Spirit, the corps his Dad founded. But you knew who Freddy Martin was anyway, right?)

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor