2010 Finals Booing?

The activity has died a long painful slow death for me since the mid-90's. It's called artistic expression, I do beleive, and it has morphed into the elitism that defines a drum corps staff. I remember when finals used to be exciting from 12th place to 1st place performances, when the crowd would at leap from their seats for something in each and every show and when the shows had something that really made you WANT TO CLAP YOUR HANDS OFF! well, last year I sat on my hands and was bored to death through most of the shows, because it's art, not drum corps. Oh, yes, I say that again...it's art, not drum corps. So, I wish I heard the booing, I likely would have turned to the crowd and said -"where were you 15 years ago when all this started ferment?" I like how you said, weird, dark, depressing show designs. Yes, that is the best way I can think of describing it. I told my friends that I thought last years shows were a terrible waste of such good talent. The talent of the kids in the corps wasted by the idocy of staff's over creativeness. Someone force all the staff's to watch 1980-1990 finals vidoes and tell them why the crowd cheered for all the corps loudly! Oh, never mind, they don't care, they have creative expressions to waste good talent with.

(sigh) If you want art, go to the musuem or the stage, if you want drum corps....thank god for the legacy collection.

Exactly right.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, just for the heck of it.....what if YOUR cheering and applause is offensive to me ? What if I think everyone should be quiet during a performance ( or scores) ? If you try to enforce moral beliefs ( such as not booing) you're gonna end up with the ACLU really screwing things up.

Unless the laws are changed, we can not legislate how people react to a performance. The ACLU would fight this tooth and nail.

I'm all for electric cattle prods, but I'm not King........yet

I support freedom of appreciation as much as freedom of unappreciation.

Absolutely the most ridiculous post I have ever seen, wow. There is a tremendous difference between discussing what is appropriate (self legislated) versus what is legally acceptable. I think we are safe from an ACLU action with respect to the stifling of booing at DCI events. I will support the freedom to "unappreciate" as aggressively as you, but I will think your are an idiot if you exercise that right.

Absolutely the most ridiculous post I have ever seen, wow. There is a tremendous difference between discussing what is appropriate (self legislated) versus what is legally acceptable. I think we are safe from an ACLU action with respect to the stifling of booing at DCI events. I will support the freedom to "unappreciate" as aggressively as you, but I will think your are an idiot if you exercise that right.

I'm sorry you missed the post where someone wanted people booiing removed from the stadium? I don't care for booing and I don't care for people who boo. Ejecting people from a stadium for booing could cause more problems than it's worth.

If I had MY way, electric cattle prods would be used. But I don't think many would go for that either

I came here to check out how the scores turned out and I find this? Really people? Booing the Blue Devils? Drum Corps has turned into something I don't even recognize anymore, i.e. G7, amps, elec/bass guitars, and now booing. It saddens me. The spirit of Drum Corps is lost.

I came here to check out how the scores turned out and I find this? Really people? Booing the Blue Devils? Drum Corps has turned into something I don't even recognize anymore, i.e. G7, amps, elec/bass guitars, and now booing. It saddens me. The spirit of Drum Corps is lost.

I dont condone it at all BUT booing is the one thing you mention thats isnt new to Drum corps. WOW I remember back in those so called GLORY DAYS vilolence sometimes with audiance members and between corps.

BUT NO booing is childish..just dont clap.

Exactly right.

Love this post...and regarding the OP...bottom line is a weak applause or no applause is a better sign of fans perspective...and man the audiences today...just don't match up...yes the kids deserve better recognition...but there is no difference between people watching back then and now...if they don't like it fans shouldn't have to applaud out of kindess...if it sucks it sucks...Look at STAR of Indiana...now that was a Response probably the best response the entire WEEKEND...maybe DCI should think long and hard about what they witnessed...as well as the Member Corps. BRAVO Star Alumni...you made(saved) the 2010 season.

Edited by Eric M. Buckman

I tried to reply before the other topic was closed, but thankfully I have a chance here.

My opinion, go ahead and boo if you want. When I was a member, we were at "city, state" and performed our show... we got boo'd and you know what? we laughed about it and didn't give a hoot! :) I didn't care, nor did anyone else in the corps. Maybe to those in the stands who are around people who are booing think it may affect us, but it really doesn't. We don't expect everyone to love us. We go out there every day and night doing our best to perform what we have and no-one can get us down by booing. Think about Star 1993. A show that is today renowned as being one of the best shows every by a majority of drum corps fans, yet they were boo'd at their HOME SHOW that year - as well as many others, I'm sure.

I think those of you who are saying that the booing is either disrespectful or classless are just being a tad overly critical about this subject. In all seriousness, though, how far fetched would it be to assume that half the people in the stands are actually "BOOing" the Bluecoats rather than "BLOOing"? You don't know... but because you don't know you can't call those people out for doing so. It just so happens that you can "hide" a BOOO in there without notice or criticism.

I personally have never BOO'd a corps before, but if I ever did, I don't think it'd be something the members would feel bad about. Not everyone was happy with the outcome last night, but MANY people were, including me. :) Let those people go home... Let them BOO. What does that have to do with anything if they truly feel that way? Apples and oranges and pears and grapes were out there on the field tonight. I know we push for this activity to be appreciative of the performance and the work these members do and show them the appreciation they deserve - but why get upset at those who don't want to? You're not going to make them feel guilty or do a complete 180 and decide "oh, I'm sorry..." :) It just doesn't work that way with some people. Besides - none of them are here reading these comments. We're all just talking to each other and expressing opinions on the matter regarding people who won't read these words or take people's views about it seriously.

Strange topic... the members aren't affected... especially once that gold medal goes around their neck. For them, they've achieved their goals for the season, and with that there's nothing anyone can say or do to change it. BOO away... or CHEER!! :) Won't make much difference to anyone except those "fans" who say they take issue with it.

the members aren't affected... especially once that gold medal goes around their neck.

No kidding. Are they any kids in BD this year that started marching in '07? This is their third gold in four years. It could very well have been their fourth. Does anyone really think they would be affected by booing?