Drum Corps Isn't Dead.....

Sorry to disagree but when I heard the bass synths overpowering the hornlines at Murfreesboro I said that would be the last time I watched a DCI corps perform. It was a sad night. :thumbup:

In 09 many of the DCI corps used Synthesizers and electronics sparingly and tastefully for the most part. In the Georgia Dome I was extremely impressed with many of the corps that used electronics at impact points of the show. So it can be done properly and tastefully if the corps will allow it.

This year was a whole different ball game. I was at Murfreesboro 50 yard line seats about 10 rows up and Synthesizers and electronics were way too abused and overused. Ive never seen the Murfreesboro crowd so untrilled and bored to tears as I did this year. Everyone except for Cavies got the golf clap. Cavies got one standing O and that was after the trumpet soloist on the sideline did their thing in the tango.

It was certainly a bad year for DCI. Hopefully this will be addressed during the off season and Electronics goes away much like singing did in the mid 2000's season.

Edited by camel lips

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not while we still have DCA!!!!!

I checked out the video of the Finalist DCI Corps playing together on the field. Imagine if they were using G Bugles... They sounded really good when they played together. That is how I envisioned Drum and BUGLE corps horn lines to sound like... But what do I know... I iz a drummer :thumbup: . I remember when the tribute was played during DCA Finals 2003 in Scranton. Chills my spine something fierce even when I think about it.

~Jimmy (Drummer at heart but lover of Loud in your face Bugle action) Eldridge~

I grew up in drum corps of the '70's,and carried a marimba one year. I dislike the pit, 3 valve horns, which are b flat. I see the scores jump with build up captions vs. Ticks, and do not see the need to amp the pit..... But look at what drill has become, talk about physical! I look at those kids and am amazed they can play so well while running thru their drill.

Now so far I have been able to tolerate he changes. I will stop watching drum corps when either 1) The entire top 12 breaks 90 or

2) woodwinds become a part of the instrumentation, at this point, it is now marching band, not drum corps.

Change isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when you change something so much that it is not recognizable, then no longer a good thing.

I am a traditionalist (23 years of military may have something to do with that) and I am thankful for DCA for keeping as traditional as they have.

It was certainly a bad year for DCI.

Completely, totally disagree. I think this has been one of the best DCI years in, ummm... years...

Many on the DCI forum feel the same way. Quite a few posts over there are raving about how DCI corps have been on the upswing this summer.

It seems to me that the people who heard "too much" from the amps, every single time, where looking to hear just that, so they could complain about it being "too much". Only once in many shows I'd attended this summer (double digits... one of the fortunate things about traveling for work) did I hear any real overbalance due to amps. And I question whether that may have been where I was seated, and/or the venue, because every corps was bad that night.

I attended Allentown both nights and all 5 shows in the dome. believe it or not it was worse in Allentown by far, but even in the dome, there were still issues with the synths and samples covering up music on the field.

Completely, totally disagree. I think this has been one of the best DCI years in, ummm... years...

Many on the DCI forum feel the same way. Quite a few posts over there are raving about how DCI corps have been on the upswing this summer.

It seems to me that the people who heard "too much" from the amps, every single time, where looking to hear just that, so they could complain about it being "too much". Only once in many shows I'd attended this summer (double digits... one of the fortunate things about traveling for work) did I hear any real overbalance due to amps. And I question whether that may have been where I was seated, and/or the venue, because every corps was bad that night.

What DCI forum are you speaking of? :thumbup:

It was a bad year for DCI. I am not the only one saying that.

I have hopes for DCI I really do.

I attended Allentown both nights and all 5 shows in the dome. believe it or not it was worse in Allentown by far, but even in the dome, there were still issues with the synths and samples covering up music on the field.

I was at Allentown on Saturday, and I disagree. The balance was fine.

I got to go to both nights of Allentown, and I thought the corps were fantastic this year. Congrats to all of them on an excellent season. I look forward to great things to come in 2011.

I really enjoyed a lot of the shows and didn't find the balance of the electronics and the horns/ drums to be a problem at all. I especially loved the effect used with the baritone solo in the Bluecoats show. I thought it really accentuated a crazy-hard solo very well. It kind of reminded me of a Bill Chase solo from one of his "electric trumpet" tunes.

Agreed with John. DCI is still drumcorps. Synths and all that aren't as bad as the dinosaurs make it out to be...but woodwinds..that will be the day everything changes for the worse

Right, and when DCI does add woodwinds and you complain (or stop going) then we'll see how well you like eating dinosaur food.

What DCI forum are you speaking of? :smile:

It was a bad year for DCI. I am not the only one saying that.

I have hopes for DCI I really do.

Oh so THAT makes it reality. :tongue:

It's all just opinions. I loved DCI this year, it was a great season. Like I said earlier, first time since 1994 that I enjoyed the whole top 12. But that's just me, and a bunch of other people saying that. lol