Drum Corps Isn't Dead.....

Ok so lets do a break down:

To some drum corps is dead because there aren't any piston rotor bugles anymore, there are pits and no one is carrying all the equipment on their backs. That whole squad drill thing doesn't seem to be too big a deal from what I'm reading.

Next group: the 3 valve bugle, putting guards in costume and making them dance, and OY that pit thing is getting too #### big....

Next group: Bb horns so it ain't a bugle anymore, etc. and the drills are too #### fast

Next group: narration & electronics

Next and final group: woodwinds

And if you happen to like any of the above your opinion is worthless.....So that pretty much sums it up right? :smile:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess the answer for all the "dinosaurs" is to start an old time circut.

No electronics.

No color guard dance routines.

No pit.

No woodwinds

G bugles only

Tick system scoring

Start and finish lines with inspection.

REALLY? If someone could pull it off then it MAY work. I would even march it! :smile:

BUT

As much as I do not like all the changes in drum corps, some may have prolonged it. I do find it funny that many people who complain about these changes are still spending their dollars by attending shows!

It is what it is.

So I guess the answer for all the "dinosaurs" is to start an old time circut.

No electronics.

No color guard dance routines.

No pit.

No woodwinds

G bugles only

Tick system scoring

Start and finish lines with inspection.

REALLY? If someone could pull it off then it MAY work. I would even march it! :smile:

BUT

As much as I do not like all the changes in drum corps, some may have prolonged it. I do find it funny that many people who complain about these changes are still spending their dollars by attending shows!

It is what it is.

Ya know what.....? I might even be willing to pay double the ticket fee to see a show with the above criteria you mention.

May be a poor analogy but.........as an example........which car shows are the best attended.......the New Models?......OR......Perhaps ....Muscle Cars......Antique Cars.........Car Restoration Shows....etc.....Just sayin............

Edited by melligene

And so don't. Isn't the alumni show the least attended show of the weekend?

Completely, totally disagree. I think this has been one of the best DCI years in, ummm... years...

Many on the DCI forum feel the same way. Quite a few posts over there are raving about how DCI corps have been on the upswing this summer.

It seems to me that the people who heard "too much" from the amps, every single time, where looking to hear just that, so they could complain about it being "too much". Only once in many shows I'd attended this summer (double digits... one of the fortunate things about traveling for work) did I hear any real overbalance due to amps. And I question whether that may have been where I was seated, and/or the venue, because every corps was bad that night.

THIS! Overbalancing problems got much better as the season went on. Apart from a few corps, the issues seemed to be a once in a while thing, rather than something that seemed intentional or consistent at all.

2010 will certainly be a memorable year for both circuits, and I consider myself privileged to have seen nearly all of the drum corps perform.

And so don't. Isn't the alumni show the least attended show of the weekend?

Liz, you're right; it is the least attended event of the weekend.

However.... Drum corps people being what they are, the timing for the Alumni show is such that it interferes with their going to church on Sunday morning. With church services starting at 9:00 a.m. and not finishing 'til 2:00, it's difficult.

Oh!! Wait a second!! Could it be they're attending "Our Lady of the Perpetual Hangover?"

I loved DCI this year, it was a great season. Like I said earlier, first time since 1994 that I enjoyed the whole top 12. But that's just me, and a bunch of other people saying that. lol

Seconded. Best DCI top 12 in a looong time IMHO. And to the other poster, I mean the DCI forum here. I see many more "great year after some not-so-great years" than any "it was a bad year" posts.

Liz, you're right; it is the least attended event of the weekend.

However.... Drum corps people being what they are, the timing for the Alumni show is such that it interferes with their going to church on Sunday morning. With church services starting at 9:00 a.m. and not finishing 'til 2:00, it's difficult.

Oh!! Wait a second!! Could it be they're attending "Our Lady of the Perpetual Hangover?"

I thought of church too..... As in church key (can opener in the pre-pull tab days).

We actually missed Alumni show a few times due to at least one of us not feeling 100%. And that was muscle and back pains, not too much liquid pain killer. All #### day in a stadium seat at Prelims with a bunch of hours to look forward to at Finals makes you plan your butt-numbing better.

PS - Missed you again at Shamrock, one of these days we'll have another face to face.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I thought of church too..... As in church key (can opener in the pre-pull tab days).

We actually missed Alumni show a few times due to at least one of us not feeling 100%. And that was muscle and back pains, not too much liquid pain killer. All #### day in a stadium seat at Prelims with a bunch of hours to look forward to at Finals makes you plan your butt-numbing better.

PS - Missed you again at Shamrock, one of these days we'll have another face to face.....

Jim, I didn't make it to the Shamrock. A ten hour drive each way just to "stand next to the piano" (inside joke) simply wasn't in the cards.

Perhaps I'll see you at the alumni show this year (or at the 9:00 mass).