Judges biased towards some corps

There are definitely biased judges. Every corps has judges they know will just tank them if theyre on the panel. Some just dont like the corps show that year, some dont like the corps in general, and some will slam various corps for something as dumb as not liking the particular instrument manufacturer a corps is using. (all stories i have heard from ppl at various corps)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no judge. But I did wonder why CROWN didn't take 3rd. Their sound they put out is just amazing. No other corp pulls that off as well and they do. I'm sure the judges have thier reason for the scores, but if I was to base the scores on the crowds reactions that were sitting around me, clearly Cavaliers would have pulled ahead and won.

Either way I enjoyed them all. Some shows were just more crowd entertaining then others...

There are definitely biased judges. Every corps has judges they know will just tank them if theyre on the panel. Some just dont like the corps show that year, some dont like the corps in general, and some will slam various corps for something as dumb as not liking the particular instrument manufacturer a corps is using. (all stories i have heard from ppl at various corps)

And sadly some of this is the truth. If you go to the Blue Knights website and look at the season recaps for some corps, you can see that certain judges will always drop them in whatever caption it is they are judging. Almost without fail. And that's unfortunate. Something I'd be interested to look into more with some judges...

I'm no judge. But I did wonder why CROWN didn't take 3rd. Their sound they put out is just amazing. No other corp pulls that off as well and they do. I'm sure the judges have thier reason for the scores, but if I was to base the scores on the crowds reactions that were sitting around me, clearly Cavaliers would have pulled ahead and won.

Either way I enjoyed them all. Some shows were just more crowd entertaining then others...

Simple. Crown had the uncleanable show this year.

Too transparent, too exposed, and not enough to it, plain and simple. They tried way too hard (or in actuality, not enough) with that ending.

And their hornline was not 2009. Not to say they weren't outstanding, but they weren't 2009. And up close, if you listened closely, you'd hear things that were uncharacteristic of the defending brass champs.

Plus, the Bluecoats were incredible.

...and thank God scores are not based on crowd reaction.

G

...and thank God scores are not based on crowd reaction.
Could you elaborate? Allowing, of course, for the problem of a given audience having a disproportionate number of home fans for any one corps, why shouldn't the opinions of those who pay to be entertained by the shows be given more consideration?

i may personally question a caption or two here and there, but for the most part the judges got it right. i do think some performance over book numbers were warranted in a few sheets, but other than that, it is what it is.

if I was to base the scores on the crowds reactions that were sitting around me, clearly Cavaliers would have pulled ahead and won

If I was to base the scores on the crowds reactions that were sitting around me, Vanguard would've pulled ahead of Garfield in 87, Phantom would've won in 89, and Madison would have a lot more than 2 titles. :thumbup:

Could you elaborate? Allowing, of course, for the problem of a given audience having a disproportionate number of home fans for any one corps, why shouldn't the opinions of those who pay to be entertained by the shows be given more consideration?

Since when ?? The Crowd is there to observe what going on. The crowd is full of parents, and bias and lack-of trained eyes. SImple as that.

Spectators are there to spectate, not adjudicate.

Performers pay their fee, break a sweat, march a show and compete and get judged for reasons that have made the activity what it is/was. Entertaining the crowd is the cherry on top. Not the sole reason for doing what we do.

G