Pioneer

I have remained quiet in this thread for a while because there really hasn’t been anything of substance to add to the conversation. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that. I personally feel that some of the opinions may have been formed off of inaccurate information or preconceived perceptions that are biased, but again everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect that.

So we’ll move on past that for the time being...

I sat down and had lunch with Roman a short while back to discuss the website among other subjects. Without divulging the full contents of our conversation, I will say that it was a bit of an eye opener for me. We discussed at length some of the very things that have brought up in this thread. And while I understand that there are two sides to every story, the answers he provided were completely logical and with sound reasoning. Much of it ties into Pioneer operating within its means.

We also discussed the issue of competitiveness. Again, without going into too many details, it was clear that he was not satisfied with the results from the past couple seasons. In short, he pretty much told me that he wanted to get back to the days where we were kicking butts and taking names, and was willing to do whatever it took to get there.

The staff that has been assembled for the 2011 season has the potential to lead the corps back to that point. They may not be big names that people are familiar with, but they all bring a ton of experience and the talent level they have was shown at our December camp. The production for the 2011 season also is very exciting. We’re getting a lot of positive feedback about the selections for the show and for the most part people can’t wait to see the corps on the field this summer. With renewed support from our alumni due to the 50th Anniversary, this season still has the potential be some something special and exciting!

Our next camp is January 28-30, 2011 in Milwaukee. I’d strongly encourage anyone who is considering marching next summer that hasn’t found a home yet, or maybe hasn’t made the cut at their favorite corps, to come to our camp and check us out! Don’t let perceptions stop you from experiencing the reality of a summer on the road to DCI with Pioneer!

Since I would assume as webmaster you would know some of the current information, could you fill us in on the question that started the last bunch of questions. How was the turn out at the first camp? Firm numbers would likely put a lot of the current controversy to rest.

Since I would assume as webmaster you would know some of the current information, could you fill us in on the question that started the last bunch of questions. How was the turn out at the first camp? Firm numbers would likely put a lot of the current controversy to rest.

Controversy? Quite honestly, why does anyone think they are owed ANY information here? Where do these people come from that think this way?

I would like to take the time to wish the Blenski family and everyone in the Pioneer organization a Merry Christmas from my heart.

I am not happy however that people from the organization have the lack of consideration to blame the design or instructional team for previous years' failures. I have come to expect it from the people that post on here that dont really know any better. I understand that you are trying to hype the corps, but every post that is coming from the office seems to say that this years staff is more qualified than past years, that the design team is better, etc...I would say that there were definately things that I wanted to do that never made the field, but the truth is that I could only do what I was allowed to do by Roman. I was the fourth show coordinator in the last 5 years for that same reason. The good news is that it sounds as though the design process is now being allowed to be pursued without handcuffs. That may be a very good thing for the corps....or not.

I was surprised (and almost delighted) to hear the music that is planned for this years show. There is not a chance that I could have written that kind of music. Not because of my lack of ability, but because I wasn't allowed to. So to keep saying this kind of thing is just not fair to the members of the staff that worked their butts off for that organization to the point of putting their whole life into it. You talk about the staff that you have now were the reasons the corps was making semis in the late nineties...but truthfully, Myself, Al Murray, Mickey Hartzog, Stuart Spoon, Don Kaihatsu, Pete Harvey, Jason Rinehart, Sarah Riebok Whitlock, John Whitlock et al, and the retention of the small bunch of talented and hard working twenty year olds also had a lot to do with that success. Also, Bill Strube was the corps director at that point.

IMHO...Last years show SHOULD have placed much higher than it did. The numbers and quality of the kids had improved for 3 years. Why didnt it?...The staff not trying would be WAY down the list. I dont need to say anything bad about any other reasons.Last years show got huge reactions from the crowd early in the year, and everyone was hoping for us to grow throughout the summer.

The point is, that no matter how you slice it, I busted my butt for that organization for the last 4 years. That includes the jobs of 4 different people according to new hires. We had 53 brass players on the field last year. The staff worked as hard as we were able to.

Please try to keep from sounding as though the staff you "had" wasnt any good. That is simply not true. I am glad that you have found qualified teaching and design staff. I wish the corps the best of luck this coming year and the future. You dont have to keep saying how much MORE qualified they are than the last few years staff was. The former staff have been part of World Championship groups in WGI and DCA as performers, teachers and arrangers.

BTW...there is one that I really miss at this time of the year. My 3 foot sausage from Usinger's. Dont take this wrong, I want the corps to succeed. Happy Holidays.

Donny Allen

Yep, I want them to succeed to.

GO PIONEER!

FWIW - just sent the following to the corps using their website:

"Would like to know if people who donate thru SOPY willl receive confirmation that their donation was received by the corps office. I have donated twice in the past and have NO idea if the check was received by the corps or if someone else stole it and cashed it. Just spending two mintutes sending an email saying "Check Received" would be an improvement. If I have no way of knowing the money was received by the correct people, I see no reason to donate."

IMO, if the corps wants to continue helping the members here is one area that needs improvement/more effort. Yeah, it's a personal gripe but maybe I'm not the only one.

And before someone says (again) that SOPY doesn't really help the corps:

1) Yes it helps the corps to keep members by helping with their dues

2) If the corps spends the effort to set up the SOPY system they can spend a few minutes more to finish the process.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

FWIW - just sent the following to the corps using their website:

"Would like to know if people who donate thru SOPY willl receive confirmation that their donation was received by the corps office. I have donated twice in the past and have NO idea if the check was received by the corps or if someone else stole it and cashed it. Just spending two mintutes sending an email saying "Check Received" would be an improvement. If I have no way of knowing the money was received by the correct people, I see no reason to donate."

IMO, if the corps wants to continue helping the members here is one area that needs improvement/more effort. Yeah, it's a personal gripe but maybe I'm not the only one.

And before someone says (again) that SOPY doesn't really help the corps:

1) Yes it helps the corps to keep members by helping with their dues

2) If the corps spends the effort to set up the SOPY system they can spend a few minutes more to finish the process.

Hello Jim F.

Please check your email for our response.

Thank you!

Hello Jim F.

Please check your email for our response.

Thank you!

Edit: Just sent a response.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I am glad to see that you were able to get a response and even more happy to see that people are stepping up to the plate to help. Pioneer is set to really grow this year and with a little help, may actually turn a few heads during their 50th anniversary year.

Edited by Old Corps Guy

I am glad to see that you were able to get a response and even more happy to see that people are stepping up to the plate to help. Pioneer is set to really grow this year and with a little help, may actually turn a few heads during their 50th anniversary year.

Thats what Im talking about!

GO PIONEER!