Dear Blue Devils,

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haters-Gonna-Hate.jpg

they are out of step.........more hate :tongue:

For some of us who are interested in this issue not merely as an excuse to bash BD or an excuse to claim everyone is bashing BD, I think this raises an interesting question: How many is many enough?

90%? 75%? 50%? 25%? 5%?

I don't know the answer, just asking the question. It does make me think it probably isn't that easy to be a show designer, especially when you can't really know how a show will strike people until it's out there.

That's true for any artist, no?

Nah....they're just doing that section from the 07 closer where every other line was on the opposite foot....

technical inconsistencies and they're on different parts of the roll down! zomg! KICK THEM OUT OF FINALS!

"Have their recent shows been "new", "progressive", "cutting edge", "revolutionary", and "innovative". No. A thousand times no."

Please explain this Rifuarian.

Who do you consider New Progressive Cutting Edge...etc. And why?

"Have their recent shows been "new", "progressive", "cutting edge", "revolutionary", and "innovative". No. A thousand times no."

Please explain this Rifuarian.

Who do you consider New Progressive Cutting Edge...etc. And why?

Gladly. Simply put, I don't consider borrowing from other circuits to be innovative, and the Blue Devils are borrowers. They've been heavily influenced by WGI, but this recent string of shows (since 2008) especially bears the mark of that style, visually and musically. I don't think the corps was inspired to use mirrors by another group, but mirrors have been used . . . and used well . . . by a number of marching bands. Now BD has been top notch in both design and execution, and has produced a string of incredible corps. And I'd say this formula has at least two more championships left in it. But these are essentially WGI shows on a football field, which is not my idea of innovative. Many will disagree, which is fine.

For me, innovation and progress come when a corps gives us something that has never been seen before in any circuit. That's why I consider the Cavaliers to be the champion innovators of the 2000s. They gave us something new and spectacular, without borrowing, and while remaining within the parameters of traditional drum corps (even though many traditionalists didn't like it). And while Vanguard has been using familiar music I think that they may be the corps that is currently closest to the bleeding edge of innovation. That's not a widely held opinion, though.

Edited by Rifuarian

Gladly. Simply put, I don't consider borrowing from other circuits to be innovative, and the Blue Devils are borrowers. They've been heavily influenced by WGI, but this recent string of shows (since 2008) especially bears the mark of that style, visually and musically. I don't think the corps was inspired to use mirrors by another group, but mirrors have been used . . . and used well . . . by a number of marching bands. Now BD has been top notch in both design and execution, and has produced a string of incredible corps. And I'd say this formula has at least two more championships left in it. But these are essentially WGI shows on a football field, which is not my idea of innovative. Many will disagree, which is fine.

For me, innovation and progress come when a corps gives us something that has never been seen before in any circuit. That's why I consider the Cavaliers to be the champion innovators of the 2000s. They gave us something new and spectacular, without borrowing, and while remaining within the parameters of traditional drum corps (even though many traditionalists didn't like it). And while Vanguard has been using familiar music I think that they may be corps that is closest to the bleeding edge of innovation.

lol