Kidsgrove Scouts got hosed!

DCI = Drum Corps INTERNATIONAL , Corps from all over the world compete against each other. International corps on all levels over the years have had great success over the years in DCI. Has there ever been a DCI show in Tiawan? No, but for years corps from that country competed in DCI and did really well here in the USA.

DCA = Drum Corps ASSOCIATES Associates has many descriptions, but the dictionary gives many explainations.

–noun

7. a person who shares actively in anything as a business, enterprise, or undertaking; partner; colleague; fellow worker: He consulted with his associates before proceeding further.

8. a companion or comrade: my most intimate associates.

9. a confederate; an accomplice or ally: criminal associates.

10. anything usually accompanying or associated with another; an accompaniment or concomitant.

11. a person who is admitted to a subordinate degree of membership in an association or institution: an associate of the Royal Academy.

–adjective

12. connected, joined, or related, esp. as a companion or colleague; having equal or nearly equal responsibility: an associate partner.

13. having subordinate status; without full rights and privileges: an associate member.

14. allied; concomitant.

Say what you want, defend all you want, but the bottom line is if 10th place spot is between a DCA corps that has sponsored a show and a visiting corps from another country that is here for a week or so to compete, my money is on the DCA corps that sponsored a show to get that 10th spot.

...at least where I come from, a corps sponsors a show to make BUX! You don't do too many if you don't. So, a corps "sponsoring" a show automatically wins over a group spending HEEPS of money to do a trip of a lifetime? Jeeze, I think that is just not in the spirit of what we do, regardless of parsing definitions.

cg

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, these are vehicles that look sort of like troop-transport boats with tires..... they run on land or at sea, and are used to take tourists on land-water excursions in various cities. We used to have 'em here in Baltimore and in DC before the local franchises shut down.

Oh.... THOSE ducks! got it! well..... didn't "get" one yet but hope springs eternal! We can fill it with moon pies and R.C. Cola!! that ought to tide us over for the long trip! LOLOL!!!

No, these are vehicles that look sort of like troop-transport boats with tires..... they run on land or at sea, and are used to take tourists on land-water excursions in various cities. We used to have 'em here in Baltimore and in DC before the local franchises shut down.

There's a whole fleet of them in Boston that give tours including a short excursion in the Charles River.

http://www.ridetheducks.com/home.aspx

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled thread.

"Ride The Ducks":

At the very great risk of being accusd by certain residents of this message board of authoing yet another "Stupid" or "negative of everything that ever happened AFTER I marched"article::

A tragedy occoued recently in Philadelphia's Delaware River, when a barge ran over a "Ride the Ducks" anphibian. Two Dutch tourists lost their lives. Heroic efforts on the parts of sevral Philly rescue and police agencies as well as a US Navy SEAL Team (That was in the area for a trrining excercise) rescued the surviving passengers and crew.

Hey Sam and Liz: Fire away..... :worthy:

Elphaba

Anyone who repeatedly says that things today sucks doesn't get respect from me. It's that simple. Don't like it fine. Go post in the Alumni forum and relive what was great about the old days. No need to insult those who perform today as well as those who appreciate it.

DCA - All-Age - Alumni Corps Discussions Forum

I think this is title of this forum

not picking sides....

Pete

There are times when I think I might have been a bit too dumb when posting on here...

...then I read the things posted on the pages after my input, and I wonder...

I have not seen any of the top DCA groups this year other than on that other website, but I just saw Kidsgrove and cannot imagine they got "hosed" that bad. Maybe I could see them beating Bush, but unless Cabs are much weaker this year, I do not think they deserved second. Now, I know I cannot make a fair opinion based off a recording from the 30, but you can hear a lot of inconsistent sounds coming from the hornline and the same can be said about the visual as well. I'm not trying to say they are bad... I think they will bring the house down in Rochester this year, but I do not see them placing top 5. I think everyone else is too strong.

... then again, they may have had a shaky run. I could believe that, seeing as how they were still dealing with jet lag and first show jitters. They will be competitive, but I don't think they got "hosed" at the show. The recaps speak for themselves.

Fun show, though!

I don't get into these things. I'm not a memeber of the DCA board. I volunteer for the I&E job, but I do judge alot.

I have to address some of the idiotic comments in this thread.

1) Dca board has nothing to do with jduges after the Chief judges are appointed. I held the position for 5 years and never was asked to do anything by the board other than save money when I could.

2) I bet not 50% of the judges could even tell you who sponsored contest this year. They live in different states show up judge go home.

3) The scores come from a system not indivual judges, the system determines total spread. Do judges make mistakes yes, it happens, but knowing most of them its an honest mistake and they feel worse about it than any on elese.

4) Now I could, go ahead and explain how the judges judging prelims have a differnet task than the finals judges, but I know this would be way above your comprehension level of DCA and their judges.

I apologize, I don't get into these things but stupidity of some of these comments over came me. Everyone enjoy the Corps and have a safe and great time in Rochester

<snip>

4) Now I could, go ahead and explain how the judges judging prelims have a differnet task than the finals judges, but I know this would be way above your comprehension level of DCA and their judges.

I apologize, I don't get into these things but stupidity of some of these comments over came me. Everyone enjoy the Corps and have a safe and great time in Rochester

Dick,

I did not know what you pointed out in #4...unless it's something obvious that I am missing. I would be fascinated to hear a description of the tasks and how they differ from prelims to finals.

Thanks,

Joe

Say what you want, defend all you want, but the bottom line is if 10th place spot is between a DCA corps that has sponsored a show and a visiting corps from another country that is here for a week or so to compete, my money is on the DCA corps that sponsored a show to get that 10th spot.

So you're clearly stating your biases...so I suppose SoCal Dream deserved to take 3rd in 06 because we didn't sponsor a show out in California??

Hey, Nash!! According to CT-Horn, you should be assured of a higher placement the year, since you ran a show (even though it was a DCI-sanctioned one and not DCA....oops)

Please point out the "hosting a show" caption on the sheets....g'head. You're now down to judging a visiting corps based not on the products the put on the field, but on them not hosting a show....not all corps can afford to do that, y'know.