Audience types at Mini Corps competition

KenD

Or better yet, why not make the Mini Corps Championship separate from I&Es?

Then you can have any venue you want - and charge whatever you want...

That is the point I was trying to make when I said things need to change. Glad you got it Ron!!!! :blink:

The DCA Mini Corps Championships is to Star United, Ghost Riders, Mass Brass, Golden Ealges, etc..as what the DCA Open Class Championships is to The Reading Buccaneers, Minnesota Brass, THe Empire Statesmen, The Hurricanes, The Caballeros, etc...as what the DCA Class A Championships is to Fusion Core, The Kingston Grenadiers, Carolina Gold, The Governairs, etc...

Show the MINI'S the same respect you show the "Big Guns"!

(Kinda reminds me of the song "Short People" by War...at least I think it was War!)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the point I was trying to make when I said things need to change. Glad you got it Ron!!!! :blink:

The DCA Mini Corps Championships is to Star United, Ghost Riders, Mass Brass, Golden Ealges, etc..as what the DCA Open Class Championships is to The Reading Buccaneers, Minnesota Brass, THe Empire Statesmen, The Hurricanes, The Caballeros, etc...as what the DCA Class A Championships is to Fusion Core, The Kingston Grenadiers, Carolina Gold, The Governairs, etc...

Show the MINI'S the same respect you show the "Big Guns"!

(Kinda reminds me of the song "Short People" by War...at least I think it was War!)

hey Frank,

I think that was Randy Newman?

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions...

Ah dang, and here I thought I was B-wording. :blink::tongue: It is a good sign when we can have discussions on what might be changed for DCA Weekend (and other things) without people getting upset with each other. (Thus sayeth the guy who discussed camera wires with the guy in charge. :tongue: )

And.... for the record.... I think War would do a great cover of "Short People". And War was in my area while I was in Rochester. :devil: Maybe Frank is thinking of "Low Rider" (aka George Lopez theme song).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Or better yet, why not make the Mini Corps Championship separate from I&Es?

Then you can have any venue you want - and charge whatever you want...

I am all for providing some separation between the "party room" and the mini-corps performance area....when the room-noise level gets that bad, it is unfair to the performers on stage, and the people there to watch the corps, IMO.

But speaking from past experience with this (when my wife Barbara was working with the scheduling).... having the mini-corps in an entirely different venue could pose scheduling problems (forget problems... a potential scheduling nightmare...LOL) for the I&E crew, since a number of I&E participants also perform with mini-corps.

I also think keeping the event free of charge is a good idea.

I have no problem at all with asking for donations, or selling stuff (like the pins this year) to offset the cost.... but since the "free admission" genie has been out of the bottle for some time now (the last time DCA charged admission for the I&E/mini-corps show was 1996), it might be tough to put back in.

Yeah- sad that one of the trains seems to have decided that the performers on stage can be ran over by their train, too. :tongue:

Lack of respect to peers. Enough said. No excuses for it. Sorry. Don't care if it's a mini-corps or an alumni corps, or a competing corps, or a guy representing the Belchville Surfmen in I and E. Have respect!

Year after year, youtube video after youtube video....

the crowd at mini corps shows its respect by being the most intense, vociferous, fist pumping, catcalling, loony bin of the entire weekend!

You want performers to feel some enthusiasm? Let 'em play WELL at mini corps and watch what happens.

Rich Duarte, Ponzo, Joe Murphy, Jeff Gibbens, Tommy Davenport, Vinnie Cieselski...these guys worked that crowd into a frothy, fanatic, sream fest (Joe did it on a contra for crying out loud). Freelancers, Eagles, Ghost Riders and Star this year...WOW! Baby tossing all over the place.

look it up...you tube it, whatever....this crowd is off the chain...something good must be happening somewhere for that kind of connection to occur...."lack of respect?" I just dont see it anywhere......maybe a little "familiar", but no way disrespectful....there is a real give and take in that hall that just doesnt fit into a neat little description....everybody is a part of a collective type of energy...its REALLY cool.

Maybe it compares to showtime at the Apollo? A little loose, a little noisy, but MAD PROPS to those that make the best sound :)

Edited by wishbonecav

no offense Joey but my wife and I decided to stop attending mini corps 3 years ago because of the party noise. We discussed the issue with many who agreed. I know some don't go anymore either.

there's the party area, the stage and the seating for the audience . . .and a big open floorspace over on the other side where nobody goes. what about using that space? I've wondered about that big un-used floorspace every year.

how bout move the stage and seating over a bit into the (now) dead space so it's not 'centered' on the room? line up the edge of the stage on the doors going out to the loading dock, or something like that? (I'm sure there's some kind of access regulations involved for fire safety) that's 15-20 yards or so distance. put open floor space between the party area and audience seating.

the party area stays where it is, but maybe 'contain' it some way? rope it so it doesn't spread all the way to the seating? curtain walls? people can shoot the breeze together w/out being right on top of audience.

would love to keep it a free and easy party atmosphere . . and still give the serious audience a workable environment . . .

Edited by John H

there's the party area, the stage and the seating for the audience . . .and a big open floorspace over on the other side where nobody goes. what about using that space? I've wondered about that big un-used floorspace every year.

how bout move the stage and seating over a bit into the (now) dead space so it's not 'centered' on the room? line up the edge of the stage on the doors going out to the loading dock, or something like that? (I'm sure there's some kind of access regulations involved for fire safety) that's 15-20 yards or so distance. put open floor space between the party area and audience seating.

the party area stays where it is, but maybe 'contain' it some way? rope it so it doesn't spread all the way to the seating? curtain walls? people can shoot the breeze together w/out being right on top of audience.

would love to keep it a free and easy party atmosphere . . and still give the serious audience a workable environment . . .

I think I can speak for most of us from Freelancers ...we dig on the rowdy crowd. I think there is room to move the beer cart back another several yards. If you set up some tables and chairs over there I bet some of the talkers would gravitate towards that. You could also have a couple of ushers shoo people away from the area just behind the judges where I bet most of the noise you are concerned with is coming from. Get them off into the wings and I bet they would be a lot less noticeable.

Year after year, youtube video after youtube video....

the crowd at mini corps shows its respect by being the most intense, vociferous, fist pumping, catcalling, loony bin of the entire weekend!

You want performers to feel some enthusiasm? Let 'em play WELL at mini corps and watch what happens.

Rich Duarte, Ponzo, Joe Murphy, Jeff Gibbens, Tommy Davenport, Vinnie Cieselski...these guys worked that crowd into a frothy, fanatic, sream fest (Joe did it on a contra for crying out loud). Freelancers, Eagles, Ghost Riders and Star this year...WOW! Baby tossing all over the place.

look it up...you tube it, whatever....this crowd is off the chain...something good must be happening somewhere for that kind of connection to occur...."lack of respect?" I just dont see it anywhere......maybe a little "familiar", but no way disrespectful....there is a real give and take in that hall that just doesnt fit into a neat little description....everybody is a part of a collective type of energy...its REALLY cool.

Maybe it compares to showtime at the Apollo? A little loose, a little noisy, but MAD PROPS to those that make the best sound :)

The people sitting in the chairs in the middle are paying attention and doing as you described. What I noticed the last 2-3 years is the party/bar side is ignoring the corps on the stage. I missed the corps you mentioned but the corwd noise was horrible for the middle 3-4 (left after Minni Brass) this year. I mentioned the noise during corps shows in an earlier post and I want to clear something up. The crowd noise from the bar side was at a constant. IOW, it wasn't that they started talking about a show in between numbers and the noise went up then. It was that as soon as the corps stopped playing (stopped drowning out the crowd noise) you noticed that constant roar. And to be fair the concrete box acoutics of the venue make it worse.

As for YouTube and CDs.... I get the CDs and what I hear on the CDs is not what I hear at the show (thank goodness). Having mics in the front help to negate the noise coming from the side. But this year I plan to listen careful during those middle corps to see if I can notice anything.

Edited by JimF-LowBari