Favorite Year in the 1980's

Favorite year of the 1980's  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is your favorite?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, '86 Dutch Boy -- the James Bond show! Sweet!

At first I thought you were misremembering, because I had no idea that Dutch Boy had a James Bond theme in 1986 -- but I knew that Velvet Knights did.

At first I thought you were misremembering, because I had no idea that Dutch Boy had a James Bond theme in 1986 -- but I knew that Velvet Knights did.

Dutch Boy's 86 show was called "Dutch Boy clicks with TV and flicks." Or something like that. They played (the hell out of) some cartoon themes, Pink Panther, and 007. They absorbed a lot of the NY Northmen I think, and they had a great hornline by the end of the year. Their book was tasty, too, with "MEET GEORGE JET-SOOOOON" as a motive.

85 gets my vote. I think my first ever DCP post was about how much I loved that year, the year of the concept show. My favorite Knights show, my favorite show to watch ever (Garfield), quality up and down the line that year. 1988 and 84 were good years, too.

Edited by tommytimp

Hehehehe. . . my favorite is 1980. . . because I loved every show, and because it was my first year marching. . . I watched in amazement, and listened to those Ken Kobold tapes for YEARS after that. I learned to play along with all the solos in every corps on soprano.

It's personal, obviously.

For sheer entertainment and variety, 1988 is the Finals of the Decade. . . but in my heart, 1980 means the world to me.

Chuck Naffier

1980 was my favorite, too.

1987-88-89 all were great years.... but there's something about 1980 for me.

The smooth excellence of the Blue Devils.... 27th's last best shot at a championship.... Bridgemen rocking the house at Finals and getting the closest they would get to a title.... Spirit's incredible wall of sound.... Phantom's nearly flawless visual execution.... SCV's groundbreaking visual show.... Garfield Cadets making Finals and completing a great comeback season, a season that saved their corps.

Just some of the memories from that night.

My first year as a spectator was '83, but the year that still stands out for me? '84.

Dets, Devs, SCV, Phantom, Madison, Cavaliers, Spirit, Suncoast, Freelancers, Crossmen, 27, VK, Wave...

Saw it live once (at Whitewater- did anything memorable happen there?).

Wore out the videotape from PBS!

BD 86 Best pure drum corps show ever!

BD 86 Best pure drum corps show ever!

Well ...... I think I would say it's the best Dev's version of pure drum corps. I'm a huge fan of that show and of the way they performed it. I wouldn't say best EVARRRR but that's just me. There are a few other champions within close proximity to 86 that would have something to say about it. (even add in a couple of 2nd place corps for that matter).

Edited by supersop

80, 82, 84, 86, & 89 made my short list. 80 Finals was my first show to see live, and it was awesome (I loved 10.5 out of 12 corps from that show, and liked the other 1.5). I marched in 82 and think the 82 Devils are still one of the best corps EVER and that Cadets start of the "new" was something to behold both visually and musically. 86 was sweet from 1st through 9th place (for me), although Cadets show seemed disjointed. 89 was great due to the battle of the Phantom's at the top (I still think the last minute or so of PR's opener is some of the most intense playing of all time), Cadets with a great program, Star really started to shine, and loved that small Suncoast hornline and the air release in the opener.

But 84 just edges these out for me, as each corps had something great about them. From Garfield to VK - I was entertained.

I voted 1987 because for me that was a great year

I'll be honest...the 80's were before my DCI time. Didn't even hear about DCI until 91. That said, in my limited knowledge/preference, I'd have to rate the last three years as my favorite in reverse order. 89, 88, 87 in close 3rd due to Cadets 'Appalachian Spring,' one of my top 5 favorites of all time.

89 takes the gold for me because of the 1/2 battle my guys lost out on; today's "BIG THREE" of Cavaliers, Blue Devils and Cadets in 3/4/5 (last time one of them was not in 1/2???); and Star of Indiana in 6th, the last time they placed so low.

DCI changed in the 1990's. For one thing, Star established itself in the elites. Phantom Regiment went on a tear from 89 to 96 of GREAT programs that won the hearts of the fans if not the caption scores of the judges. The "BIG THREE" established a stranglehold on the activity, the DCI trophy and the Top 3.

The late 80's would have been fun to follow had I known of DCI's existence. In that regard, I am jealous of Texas band members today what with the focus on membership and touring Texas enjoys now. Back then it was primarily Dallas, Houston and back up north. We were pretty lucky to even have Finals in Dallas in 91, and I was crazy lucky to be starting my Senior year in high school that fall.

Too bad I didn't have a HS Director who was an alum of DCI... :thumbup: