What The Fans Don't Want in 2011

SFZFAN

I don't want BD to be boring again.

8946.jpg

:thumbup:

this is priceless

Its only in the 'business of creativity' if that creativity pays off with the paying audience. Many in the tv\movie entertainment industry view themselves as artists... they also know theyre going to get canned if they dont please the crowd.

If drum corps was just about 'creativity', it wouldnt need to waste the time (and more importantly the money!) to take the show on the road all summer. It could park somewhere and just 'be creative' all summer.

You DID read his post, I hope...he said this...

"Drum corps is not JUST in the business of entertainment, it is also in the business of creativity"...

and I may, as many others have, and will probably keep seeing. the sad part is with so few corps left, the amount of alumni to become diehards to replace is me far smaller.

Hence the need for DCI to market to the huge potential scholastic audience they are targeting. There ARE fewer corps left to provide audience, as happened in the past. Those thousands of bands are the replacement for the hundreds of corps that used to exist.

You DID read his post, I hope...he said this...

"Drum corps is not JUST in the business of entertainment, it is also in the business of creativity"...

I did.. the problem is he put them on an equal level. Creativity isnt the goal of the business. Drum corps is in the business of entertainment, where creativity can be a tool. The goal of the business is to attract and retain fans through entertainment. Creativity may in some or even many cases be a method of getting there.. but creativity for creativity's sake, disregarding the ultimate goal of pleasing the fans, misses the mark.

whining little brats who hate on corps religiously

sheezus give it a rest Lance. We get it, no one may have anything but a positive opinion of corps!

Hence the need for DCI to market to the huge potential scholastic audience they are targeting. There ARE fewer corps left to provide audience, as happened in the past. Those thousands of bands are the replacement for the hundreds of corps that used to exist.

The problem is, 99% of those band kids are going to forget about band, and with it drum corps, when they graduate. So you're constantly churning new fans. On top of that, students arent exactly known for their large amounts of disposable income. At this point DCI needs to be attracting (re-attracting?) and retaining those who have hit the point in their lives where they are financially stable or well off, and have disposable income to support the activity through ticket sales, souvie sales, donations, etc. Drum corps will not survive on a constant churn of students with part time job income.

The problem is, over the last several years, the exact opposite has been done. Those that DCI should be directing efforts to have been told 'deal with it or leave'... and many have left.

Edited by AlexL