What The Fans Don't Want in 2011

SFZFAN

You drum corps fans and your absolutisms, hilarious.

Drum corps is not JUST in the business of entertainment, it is also in the business of creativity

and if creativity is pushing PAYING fans away?

You drum corps fans and your absolutisms, hilarious.

Drum corps is not JUST in the business of entertainment, it is also in the business of creativity

Its only in the 'business of creativity' if that creativity pays off with the paying audience. Many in the tv\movie entertainment industry view themselves as artists... they also know theyre going to get canned if they dont please the crowd.

If drum corps was just about 'creativity', it wouldnt need to waste the time (and more importantly the money!) to take the show on the road all summer. It could park somewhere and just 'be creative' all summer.

Edited by AlexL

and I may, as many others have, and will probably keep seeing. the sad part is with so few corps left, the amount of alumni to become diehards to replace is me far smaller.

so keep pushing for the moon, and you'll be paying $400 for finals seats and $80 at local shows because crowds will be smaller.

i prefer a balance to be struck

Then a balance needs to be struck, or find new fans. Or, you can just leave.

Then a balance needs to be struck, or find new fans. Or, you can just leave.

The problem is, they have left. And it is often much harder to get new fans (especially fans who are at the point in their life where they can pay the big bucks to REALLY pay for drum corps), than it is to retain existing fans. If you're losing massive amounts of older fans, fans who are likely to have more money to pay the bills for DCI, and expecting to replace them with marching band kids, 99% of whom will forget about drum corps the day they forget about marching band (when they graduate high school), you're set up for failure.

So we have a very active thread about what we want to see next year. What do you absolutely NOT want to see/hear next year? :thumbup:

golf claps.... and Drum Corps' analogy with Figure Skating threads on DCP.

Edited by BRASSO

Its only in the 'business of creativity' if that creativity pays off with the paying audience. Many in the tv\movie entertainment industry view themselves as artists... they also know theyre going to get canned if they dont please the crowd.

If drum corps was just about 'creativity', it wouldnt need to waste the time (and more importantly the money!) to take the show on the road all summer. It could park somewhere and just 'be creative' all summer.

100 percent agree.

I'll bite! Mainly because I am bored, but none the less. For the record, I loved every single finalist this year, and almost all of WC. That being said:

I would hate for BD to go down that road again. I LOVED their show this year for what it was. Different. They won't so its a non-issue. They are always changing gears.

I don't want to see any more abstract shows unless they are actually saying something in an abstract way. Naming your show " Boundaries " and then playing random concert band music without a bit of logic in the design is totally outdated. Flags and costuming and character should make sense. That does not make it pedestrian. Abstract is, of course, a piece of an original source. Not random thoughts and concepts. On that thought...

No more over arranging. When Cavies opened pandora's music box with their compositions based on the visual, it created a really cool effect. In 2001. They had success and won a crap load of titles. Now even they have moved on. Wisely so. They rocked my socks this year.

The number one thing I don't want to see is, SLOPPY WEAPON CATCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good lord people. Drops happen, but catches need to be solid. This is my number one pet peeve.

#### this is FUNNY!!!

Elements that would make me leave the activity

full frontal nudity

trained seals

trained seals that are fully frontally nude

Show themes

Miley Cyrus Sings NWA

Symphonic Variations on "Betty Davis Eyes"

Stockhausen Meets Xenakis

Colonoscopy: A Musical Journey

Undiscovered Perry Como