How much longer...

for the record i went to my first show since 1981 last year. while i thought the bucs were great on the whole i was disappointed. i know longer have a real vested interest. will not go to anymore shows. but i love the debate and i love the history.

I totally get where you are coming from and maybe even agree with you on a few things BUT I really just have to wonder someone who doesnt participate,view, or are somehow a part of an ever changing activity contribute creditability to any conversation. Its almost like contributing views on ploltics from 1975 in todays world. It's totally impossibile. JMO...and i dont mean any disrespect at all.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally get where you are coming from and maybe even agree with you on a few things BUT I really just have to wonder someone who doesnt participate,view, or are somehow a part of an ever changing activity contribute creditability to any conversation. Its almost like contributing views on ploltics from 1975 in todays world. It's totally impossibile. JMO...and i dont mean any disrespect at all.

first of all i'm a dino. i can't change my thinking at this point. when i marched i had opinions and voiced them. i still do and they won't change. second i like to debate. i debate on a lot of different types of forums. as for your saying i'm not credible.........well let's just say you are wrong. if you read my earlier post's you would see that i did go to a show lsat year. and i'm in cantact with many people in the activity so i keep up. the activity changed in my day and i didn't like a lot of things then either. by 1980 it wasn't the same idiom anymore so i left. i never looked back. but like i said i like to debate. oh and for politics...........the views are reletivly the same today as 1975. just updated. we continue to have the same debates today that we had 150 years ago. hope that clears it up for you.

Most corps are trying to figure out how to get\retain members, facilitate travel to shows, etc in this present economy, who's got money for electronics.

Absolutely correct, Frank.

The cost factor. The bottom line.

first of all i'm a dino. i can't change my thinking at this point. when i marched i had opinions and voiced them. i still do and they won't change. second i like to debate. i debate on a lot of different types of forums. as for your saying i'm not credible.........well let's just say you are wrong. if you read my earlier post's you would see that i did go to a show lsat year. and i'm in cantact with many people in the activity so i keep up. the activity changed in my day and i didn't like a lot of things then either. by 1980 it wasn't the same idiom anymore so i left. i never looked back. but like i said i like to debate. oh and for politics...........the views are reletivly the same today as 1975. just updated. we continue to have the same debates today that we had 150 years ago. hope that clears it up for you.

As I said no disrepect intended. I happen to be a product of the 70s also so I guess a dino as you called it as well BUT I guess my theory is you have to be involved,or educated on the current to be able to creditably debate. BUT debate away you have every right. IMO just less will listen. I think many young people dont want to listen to alot of us is really for many reasons you stated , UNABLE..TO CHANGE, OPINIONS, DONT CHANGE and so on.

As far as the same things debated for 150 years you are right but the difference is circumstances from year to year DO change which drives what the soultions will or can be.

HAVE FUN

In your own words.....................Hope it clears it up for you also.

Maybe we can trade drum corps war stories sometime

As I said no disrepect intended. I happen to be a product of the 70s also so I guess a dino as you called it as well BUT I guess my theory is you have to be involved,or educated on the current to be able to creditably debate. BUT debate away you have every right. IMO just less will listen. I think many young people dont want to listen to alot of us is really for many reasons you stated , UNABLE..TO CHANGE, OPINIONS, DONT CHANGE and so on.

As far as the same things debated for 150 years you are right but the difference is circumstances from year to year DO change which drives what the soultions will or can be.

HAVE FUN

In your own words.....................Hope it clears it up for you also.

Maybe we can trade drum corps war stories sometime

i'm a product of the 60's. that'a a very big difference.

Yeah each decade is different and I do know the pre DCI period. Family goes back to the 40s in the activity, so I hear it from all sides at times.

i go back pre DCA. i went to practice and shows with crusaders from 1964 -1967 when i joined. vince bruni was my elementary gym teacher. he would bring me around.

Studying "history", with regard to politics is something every politician should do on a regular basis. Who was it that said "those who refuse to learn from history are condemed to repeat it"? Henry Kissinger said once that all History is cyclical in nature. A credible opinion can certainly come from one who retired from active participation in drumcorps. The various Halls of Fame have many members who are no longer actively participating, yet whose opinions are still valid and even valuable.

Rather than consider such a person to be irrelevant to todays version of drumcorps, we should consider them a "resource". Allow me to put forth the following with regard to 1975 politics and history. Many of the current administration's comments regarding the war in Iraq almost MIRRORED" comments made regarding the war in Viet-Nam! "The more things change the more they stay the same". The current administration could learn a great deal from "History", appparently.

Credability comes from "experience". experience comes from "age'. Contributing views on drumcorps in todays world from a 1975 perspective is not only possible, but valuable. The same concept is possible in Politics and in some circumstances, vital to our National Security.

And I don't mean any disrespect as well. :laughing:

Studying "history", with regard to politics is something every politician should do on a regular basis. Who was it that said "those who refuse to learn from history are condemed to repeat it"? Henry Kissinger said once that all History is cyclical in nature. A credible opinion can certainly come from one who retired from active participation in drumcorps. The various Halls of Fame have many members who are no longer actively participating, yet whose opinions are still valid and even valuable.

Rather than consider such a person to be irrelevant to todays version of drumcorps, we should consider them a "resource". Allow me to put forth the following with regard to 1975 politics and history. Many of the current administration's comments regarding the war in Iraq almost MIRRORED" comments made regarding the war in Viet-Nam! "The more things change the more they stay the same". The current administration could learn a great deal from "History", appparently.

Credability comes from "experience". experience comes from "age'. Contributing views on drumcorps in todays world from a 1975 perspective is not only possible, but valuable. The same concept is possible in Politics and in some circumstances, vital to our National Security.

And I don't mean any disrespect as well. :laughing:

I got a question. How many of you on this thread that advocate adding amps/electronics go to any Bands of America shows? How about Brass Bands of America (NABBA)? The reason I ask is, I attend both as well as DCI and DCA.

I haven't been at a BOA show probably in 10 years....