2011 Phantom Regiment Guard

And to answer your question no they would not be able to sue. If they tried out for trumpet and were denied because of SEX, RACE, WEIGHT, CREED, SEXUAL PEFERANCE AND RELIGION then yes they would be able to sue.

Actually, they might try and sue, but they would ultimately fail.

Drum corps are not hiring members for standard employment, they are casting roles in a performance. Longstanding legal precedence has established that important and distinct difference throughout the entertainment industry. Additionally, drum corps are private organization and are not subject to anti-discrimination laws any more than the Boy Scouts of America are.

You may not like a corps policy on filling positions, but there's absolutely nothing illegal about said policy.

Edited by Kamarag

This type of thing is all around us...

Wiki Explanation of Womens Colleges

Sorry for the Wiki link but most of the good sites related to this issue are blocked here at work!

So why are people whining about it in Drum Corps! I mean isn't access to a College way way more important in the grand scheme of things? So where are you as far as carrying the torch for this TRAVESTY!! :thumbup:

Ya I get ya...

I hate colleges, the boy scouts, the shriners etc... How about a local neighborhood book club? If the ladies there don't have a man in the ranks then... SEXISM!!!!! Lets get them too! Dirty seperationists... :thumbup:

So I guess I'm wrong...no big deal....As long as its a private group they can discriminate...cool, great, wonderful, makes me love the activity even more....... :thumbup:

Yep! I know you might not like it, but I'm honestly glad they have this option.

Oh yeah. BTW.

As a private organization they also have the option to include whoever they wish (if they are willing). Which is why Madison Scouts got Carmen in the guard in 05. (and how Gene Kelly got in Phantom Regiment back in 05)

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

So I guess I'm wrong...no big deal....As long as its a private group they can discriminate...cool, great, wonderful, makes me love the activity even more....... :thumbup:

It's not discrimination any more than casting a male actor to play Superman is discrimination against female actors.

Gender doesn't matter; talent does.

I agree. The sexist notion that an All Female Guard at Phantom Regiment is at any more of a competitive disadvantage than for example an all Male Guard at Cavaliers or Madison Scouts is silly. Cavaliers have won the best Guard caption several years despite the exclusion of females. Some believe that the best Guard ever fielded in DCI History came from an All Female Guard that excluded Males ( 27th Lancers ) that was certainly AS GOOD as any All Male Guard has ever been, imo.

So I 'm in total agreement with you on this...: " Gender doesn't matter. Talent does. "

Edited by BRASSO

Ok, but what about this...

Phantom is a co-ed organization like all but two of the corps in World Class. By closing an entire section, almost a third of the corps to one sex aren't they discriminating? Other than Cavies and Scouts do we know of any other situation in the modern era where a section would exclude a talented member based on gender alone?

If this is about "casting" as someone put it then I am equally upset to think they will put the guard ladies on the field only to writhe around in front of the horn line like in past shows. It seems to me that some of you fans only remember moments when an all-female guard gets slutty with the horn line. Is this the kind of thing we should have young people to do to entertain us?

I am not happy about this move but I will reserve judgement till I see what they put on the field. Even then at best they still are discriminating against young men who might have wanted to march with an amazing corps. Such a shame.

Ok, but what about this...

Phantom is a co-ed organization like all but two of the corps in World Class. By closing an entire section, almost a third of the corps to one sex aren't they discriminating? Other than Cavies and Scouts do we know of any other situation in the modern era where a section would exclude a talented member based on gender alone?

If this is about "casting" as someone put it then I am equally upset to think they will put the guard ladies on the field only to writhe around in front of the horn line like in past shows. It seems to me that some of you fans only remember moments when an all-female guard gets slutty with the horn line. Is this the kind of thing we should have young people to do to entertain us?

I am not happy about this move but I will reserve judgement till I see what they put on the field. Even then at best they still are discriminating against young men who might have wanted to march with an amazing corps. Such a shame.

To your credit that really bothers me too. Those moments were fun, but honestly when I think of my favorite Phantom guard moment I always think of the last minute or so of the 96 show. However it is definitely a GE effect that would probably be more accessible using female members in the guard.

It's also important to note that there is probably less than 5 moments of these you are talking about. They just stick out because they are exciting!

However, I tend to like colorguards that either break up their roles by gender or simply only have one gender. PR's 2010 show didn't really use gender roles in the guard very much, while their 05-06 shows DID.

I hardly think it's discrimination. If PR had never even made the switch between 05 and 07 would we even be having this debate?

Again, I'd encourage those who think it's discrimination to simply try viewing this as a casting role choice, or design choice. It's a different guard, but I'd be very careful throwing around "discrimination".

Ultimately whether or not this succeeds will come down to what always matters:

* how well they perform

* how well the show is designed

Edited by NR_Ohiobando