2011 Phantom Regiment Guard

I mean, really, do you think the Madison Scouts cymbal line players could have sued the corps for not allowing them to play cymbals between 2 years ago and the previous season? And for that matter, do you think that every cymbal player who wants to march in almost every corps today could sue them for not having a cymbal line? It's a show design choice most importantly.

As as for "tradition"; it probably isn't the only reason. The single gender guard presents a completely different feel for the show that hasn't been seen in quite a few years. Opportunities are both closed and opened by making this choice, and hopefully the choices by the design team and the performers reflect a positive achievement.

Some people seem to be viewing it as a "keeping people out" type of thing, but I'd encourage people to adopt a view as purely a show design choice with a side dish of of keeping true to tradition.

I'm not talking about Cymbals...cymbals...your talking about cymbals (in my best Allen Inverson Voice) I'm talking about discrimination because of SEX, RACE, WEIGHT, CREED, SEXUAL PEFERANCE AND RELIGION. So if the Klan put on a show based on a whites only theme, according to YOU it would be okay because thats what the show calls for. Or overwieght players being denied because the show is called THIN. Once again when that group wanted a black man everyone screamed. Why because its wrong. Having an all male corps is wrong in todays world just like having an all female color guard. I love the Scouts and like the Cavaliers (I would love them but they beat us when I marched). Its 2010. To many people have been denied rights and freedoms because of tradition.

And to answer your question no they would not be able to sue. If they tried out for trumpet and were denied because of SEX, RACE, WEIGHT, CREED, SEXUAL PEFERANCE AND RELIGION then yes they would be able to sue.

Why utter what appears to be such a sexist comment ?

Absent any knowledge of what the talent level will be in the all female guard, why are females... by their gender alone in your view..... going to be automatically beset with " a competitive disadvantage " ?

there's nothing sexist about it, if you completely rule out one demographic right off the bat you have to choose the best out of what you have left/show up he didn't say girls suck guys are better he's pointing out if you don't take any guys no matter how good they are, you have to pick from whatever girls show up to fill up a whole guard. doing that when your guard already sucks, well...good luck.

and that's all i have to say too: good luck. it doesn't make much sense to me but i'm not a corps director, so i hope they know what they're doing.

regardless i'll still enjoy their drums and hornline i'm sure.

Why utter what appears to be such a sexist comment ?

Absent any knowledge of what the talent level will be in the all female guard, why are females... by their gender alone in your view..... going to be automatically beset with " a competitive disadvantage " ?

i've said the same about a requirement for an all-guy guard.

this decision makes perfect sense for phantom considering their recent history in that caption, though.

as for calling me sexist, i think it's possible that even a show reliant on a male charater driven them like spartacus could still work with an all-female colorguard. i also think any show reliant on so-called female gender type themes could work fine with guys in the guard if the design staff is worth anything.

As I'll reiterate...this will all come down to what the staff is able to create, teach, and clean in combination with what the guard is able to learn and execute. I'd rather them take only the ladies who can perform at a high level, whether there will be 40 or 20 of them.

I'm not talking about Cymbals...cymbals...your talking about cymbals (in my best Allen Inverson Voice) I'm talking about discrimination because of SEX, RACE, WEIGHT, CREED, SEXUAL PEFERANCE AND RELIGION. So if the Klan put on a show based on a whites only theme, according to YOU it would be okay because thats what the show calls for. Or overwieght players being denied because the show is called THIN. Once again when that group wanted a black man everyone screamed. Why because its wrong. Having an all male corps is wrong in todays world just like having an all female color guard. I love the Scouts and like the Cavaliers (I would love them but they beat us when I marched). Its 2010. To many people have been denied rights and freedoms because of tradition.

And to answer your question no they would not be able to sue. If they tried out for trumpet and were denied because of SEX, RACE, WEIGHT, CREED, SEXUAL PEFERANCE AND RELIGION then yes they would be able to sue.

Except actually it's a private organization so legally they're allowed to do that.

Case in point: Private Schools for Boys. Private Schools for Girls.

I REALLY don't see what is so hard to understand about this.

And besides that, nothing from the organization is preventing those guys from learning how to play a horn or drum and try out for another section. They can still be involved with Phantom Regiment if they so choose. (so they actually have less possible disagreements than a girl that wanted to join the Cavaliers or Scouts would)