2011 Phantom Regiment Guard

Man, the whining on this thread is amazing to me. The staff is making an artistic choice here. I don't know what the program is for the coming year, but perhaps the staff feel that going all-female for this season is a better fit? Is it the best choice? Time will tell. If it isn't, you'll probably see a new staff. That's the risk. No risk = no reward

Will this put PR at a competitive disadvantage? That remains to be seen an well. You have (2) all-male corps that put themselves at a competitive disadvantage in ALL captions year-in and year-out in terms of recruiting, but they seem to survive, and many years even thrive.

SCV and other corps (Bluecoats come to mind - 1990 maybe) have made this switch before. It wasn't that big of a deal back then, but then we weren't "blessed" to have such a "community" where malcontents could whine, dissect and second-guess every decision made in the off-season. We were so deprived back then. :thumbup:

Ok, but what about this...

It seems to me that some of you fans only remember moments when an all-female guard gets slutty with the horn line. Is this the kind of thing we should have young people to do to entertain us?

I am not happy about this move but I will reserve judgement till I see what they put on the field.

Actually, it appears to me that you will not " reserve judgement " at all. You have assumed already that by going with an All Female Guard this year, that Phantom Regiment will have the Guard " get slutty with the horn line ". Once again we find on this thread another poster making an very unfortunate sexist comment that the only way an All Fermale Guard can work well is by the Females acting " slutty ".

I've seen All Female Guards WIN the Guard Caption and they were " regal "..... " elegant "... " powerful and intelligent ", etc in their portrayal. Others no doubt on here have too.

Edited by BRASSO

Actually, it appears to me that you will not " reserve judgement " at all. You have assumed already that by going with an All Female Guard this year, that Phantom Regiment will have the Guard " get slutty with the horn line ". Once again we find on this thread another poster making an very unfortunate sexist comment that the only way an All Fermale Guard can work well is by the Females acting " slutty ".

I've seen All Female Guards WIN the Guard Caption and they were " regal "..... " elegant "... " powerful and intelligent ", etc in their portrayal. Others no doubt on here have too.

That's not what he said.

I think you missed his point in your effort to find the social justice issue and turn it on him.

His contention is that many supporters of this change cite instances where sexual gender roles were used for effect. He challenges those vocal supporters here who have made crass, sexual references or comments. He then implies that he would be skeptical if the intent of the designers' choices were to highlight and portray a certain version of gender and sexuality BUT would withhold that judgement until having seen the show, indicating his openness to the potential for better use of an all-female guard.

I haven't read all 124 previous posts, so forgive me if I am repeating something some other dinosaur with a good memory has already pointed out.

Does anyone remember that in 1988 SCV had a mixed guard? They ditched the males and went with an all female guard the next year.

That 1989 season worked out OK for the Vanguard if I recall.

I think you missed his point in your effort to find the social justice issue and turn it on him.

His contention is that many supporters of this change cite instances where sexual gender roles were used for effect. He challenges those vocal supporters here who have made crass, sexual references or comments. He then implies that he would be skeptical if the intent of the designers' choices were to highlight and portray a certain version of gender and sexuality BUT would withhold that judgement until having seen the show, indicating his openness to the potential for better use of an all-female guard.

That seems like a plausable explanation, ie that he's worried that Phantom Regiment will go " slutty " with the Females in the Guard in this year's show. He could be right. Time will tell. I've seen Phantom Regiment utilize All Female Guards in the past and their portrayal was not " slutty ", but instead " sophisticated "... and" elegant ". He seems close to Phantom Regiment, so he knows more about the thinking of the show designers there than I do, so maybe he has a right to be concerned. We'll see.

Stepping away from the debate of which is better all female vs mixed for guard. I get that in Corps that there is no guarantee of gettting a spot year to year.

Just think if you were a male guard member getting pumped up for your age out year and find that the staff decided to switch to al female how you would feel? Especially if you were a mutilple year vet.

I have read many a post about loyalty and how some people corps hop or ring chase. It just bites for the males that were loyal and gave the corps their sweat, jammed fingers, pulled muscles, blood and bruises to now have to find a new place to march.

Just a male guard persons perspective.

I haven't read all 124 previous posts, so forgive me if I am repeating something some other dinosaur with a good memory has already pointed out.

Does anyone remember that in 1988 SCV had a mixed guard? They ditched the males and went with an all female guard the next year.

Exactly.

And the 1989 SCV All Female Guard were not "slutty " either to make it all work, and help bring home a DCI Title for them that year.

And by the way, we've had all Male Guards that have given off an aura in their show of being trashy scum before.... and yet it didn't seem to hurt them in their score.

As was said above, it's got nothing to do with gender... it's about talent.

And males and female returning vets alike have been cut from captions in just about every Corps in World Class DCI, for years, and vets jump from Corps to Corps like nobody's business..... and Corps (G-7 ) jilt other Corps like nobody's business now too. There is very little loyalty in DCI Drum Corps, so that's a non starter as a sympathetic argument anymore it seems to me. If loyalty is so important to a marcher, then buy a dog, as it's not something you can count on in DCI.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm going to reserve judgment until they make their show announcement to see how well it fits. I thought that last year would have been a fine year to go back to an all-girl guard because of the show theme. We'll see if that proves true this year.