Blue Stars Switch to Jupiter

Why are corps switching from King to Jupiter first Phantom and maybe Jersey Surf now Blue Stars

im going to guess $$

If it were Kanstuls that would be one thing. Jupiters are more like a mut. They might be a wonderful dog but they get no respect. :thumbup:

This is pretty unfortunate. From what I've heard, Jupiter has improved substantially over where they were, but they're still just not in the same league as King, Yamaha or Kanstul. Ever since Phantom made the switch to Jupiter, their storied low brass just hasn't been the same.

Well, they do have very good brass staff. I think they'll be just fine.

(even though I really don't prefer jupiter)

Jupiter trumpets are horrible. They have too much back pressure ensuring a nice pressure headache and the metal used to make the horns is cheap.

There are now 5 world class corps using Jupiter: Blue Stars, Phantom, Academy, Teal, and Surf. They are an up and coming line.

Unfortunately it seems that a lot of people hear Jupiter and remember those cheap student horns that they make. The Quantum horns are NOT those horns.

There are some issues from the early versions that have been corrected in later versions.

As for sound, everyone has their own preferences, so we cannot say that one hornline plays better on this horn than that one. It may be the overall sound that the staff is looking for.

Either that or they got a really good deal................. :thumbup:

Edited by bersurkman

There are now 5 world class corps using Jupiter: Blue Stars, Phantom, Academy, Teal, and Surf. They are an up and coming line.

Unfortunately it seems that a lot of people hear Jupiter and remember those cheap student horns that they make. The Quantum horns are NOT those horns.

There are some issues from the early versions that have been corrected in later versions.

As for sound, everyone has their own preferences, so we cannot say that one hornline plays better on this horn than that one. It may be the overall sound that the staff is looking for.

Either that or they got a really good deal................. :thumbup:

The Jupiters I was referring to were last years model. I know someone that took a trumpet, had the braces moved, had the lead pipe altered and it did play better.

Yamaha (SOURCE: http://yamahawinds.wordpress.com/tag/bluecoats/ )

Bluecoats

Cadets

Carolina Crown

Cavaliers

Madison Scouts

Santa Clara Vanguard

King (SOURCE: http://www.kingsofthefield.com/ )

BC

BD

BK

BS (in 2010)

Dynasty (SOURCE: corps website)

Glassmen

Jupiter (SOURCE: DCP)

Phantom

OK, so 6/12 of the top 12 are playing Yamaha.

Did any of them sound alike? No. Did Phantom sound like Phantom? Yup, although some have argued that their low brass isn't quite there yet, and I'd agree....but the hornline as a whole is dead-on Phantom. Cadets sound like Cadets...aggressive, strong articulation. Bloo sounds like Bloo...strong low brass with focus on clarity. Crown sounds like Crown...strong orchestral focus with wide sound spectrum. BD sounds like BD...tubas may as well not be there, with strong middle and upper brass.

In fact, the only corps in 2010 that didn't sound like "themselves" to me, were SCV and Madison; SCV for the worse, and Madison for the better! (RANT: Would SOMEONE please get over to SCV and make them listen to the low brass of the Rick South years? sheeshh...)

Conclusion: Instruction, Tradition and Writing have a LOT MORE to do with the sound of a hornline than the instruments. Sometimes, the caption heads don't even have a say in the decision! Purely marketing. Don't discount Tradition: Every informed kid walking into an audition has an idea what it means to be there; what sound they're looking for, the marching style, etc. Corps with strong tradition, and minimal staff turnover have maintained those attributes.

FWIW, my dream hornline (using modern instruments) would be: Yamaha High Brass and King Low Brass. (The Yamaha Bari is OK, Meh on the Euph)

Edited by Bruckner8