Blue Stars Switch to Jupiter

FWIW, my dream hornline (using modern instruments) would be: Yamaha High Brass and King Low Brass. (The Yamaha Bari is OK, Meh on the Euph)

Dead on!! You can't beat King low brass. (my biggest problem with Jupiters)

As awesome as this would be, I don't think it would ever happen. Without committing to one brand of horns, a corps wouldn't get the hefty discount like they usually do. We can dream though!

Dead on!! You can't beat King low brass. (my biggest problem with Jupiters)

As awesome as this would be, I don't think it would ever happen. Without committing to one brand of horns, a corps wouldn't get the hefty discount like they usually do. We can dream though!

You'd have to get two hornlines to agree to switch. I mean, someone out there loves Yamaha Low Brass for their ease of playing, right? And same someone loves the King upper brass for their...well...BD uses them!

BD would be the perfect candidate except they [wisely] play only on tubas with 4 valves, for better intonation. That counts out Yamaha, who's stuck in high school low brass thinking.

Can you imagine Bluecoats and BD swapping low brass horns for the summer? Thing is, it would probably make BOTH of them better!

You can't beat King low brass. (my biggest problem with Jupiters)

Somewhat disagree. While the sound from a King low brass line is awesome, the horns themselves are far from perfect.

The 1127 model baritones, while very light, have a lot of back pressure and sound terrible in the mid to low range (4th line F and below). I enjoy the Die-nasty M571 I'm playing in college band much more because of its response and versatility across all ranges. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, King tubas are prone to breaking. In 2008, there was a week where our 8 tubas required 10 different repairs for broken welds, valve problems, etc.

Is Jupiter affiliated with those Mapex drums?

Jupiter/Mapex is one company

The Jupiters I was referring to were last years model. I know someone that took a trumpet, had the braces moved, had the lead pipe altered and it did play better.

Then obviously it wasn't one of the models used in drum corps.