What shows have not made sense to you in dci history?

Lance

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not asking which shows you don't care for, but which shows you really never understood. a short explanation of what you didn't understand would be nice. otherwise it will just turn into another one of those hate threads.

just curious.

Most of the 70's-late 80's show. A bunch of seemingly random music cobbled together w/slow boring drill and REALLY shrill sounding brass :tongue:

:tongue:

(yes I'm being sarcastic....to an extent)

Crown 2006 In Trance It

I marched the show and I couldn't tell you what was going on.

Best observation and comment so far on this thread, imo.

Why does a show have to 'make sense'? Just because of the title given to it? Cant people just enjoy the music? I really wish corps wouldn't give a 'theme' for their show then everyone wouldn't have to try and pick it apart. Not everyone thinks alike. What the hell happened to drum corps and its fans??

Good point! I think it's funny listening to some here try and make it sound like they "get it" (possibly to seem more intelligent than everyone else perchance?) when they haven't a clue. You should see the look on some of these show designers when they hear what the peeps says they "think" is in the show. LMFAO.

1997 Madison Scouts. (The pirate show) Saw them a lot that year but just couldn't buy into it. The guard almost exclusively were on side 1 and were somewhat disconnected from the rest of the corps.

Blue Devils' "1930" show in 2009.

My parents, grandparents and numerous aunts and uncles lived during the 1920s and through the Great Depression years, and I heard many stories from them about what life was like in that 1930-ish era.

The Devils' show in '09...even with the "Happy Days Are Here Again" snippets... evoked absolutely no images/memories of 1930/the Depression years, for me, at all.

I completely agree with Crown 2006. It's my least favorite Crown show since the "cream years" started.

Cavaliers 2010 - Mad World. "Nothing is like it seems" was the paraphrased designers' description of the show. That frankly didn't help me a great deal. Whether I understand it as they intended, I don't know, but most everything makes sense to me except the "this is my rifle" section. How did that fit?

PTSD. Nothing is as it seems. People who suffer from PTSD feel like they have their whole world turned upside down. Everyday activities just feel "off" and sometimes you just have to smile to get through the day, no matter how you really feel.

The best shows, IMO, are both blatant and convoluted.

All of my favorite shows have been exciting and fun to watch for the first time, but then as I watch them again and again over the months and years, I can gain a new appreciation for them and understand them a bit more. For those who don't care to delve further, at least you have a bad *** show to watch.