What shows have not made sense to you in dci history?

Lance

Anything since 1997. I'm not into themed shows because its usually a stretch to understand what RED really means. Who does Bolero, Day Danse, Symphonic Dance No3 equal Red, shouldn't it be called Dances?

Theres others but that one bugs me the most. And yes there are some that I do like.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't skewer me: The Suncoast Sound Vietnam Wall show in the mid-80's. So many good things have been said on here about what a ground breaking show or limits pushing show that was. I remember sitting through it thinking....."what is going on?" Then afterward someone telling me about the Vietnam memorial and I'm thinking, "there was a Vietnam memorial in there?" I think, to this day, I still don't get it. Wasn't there also a girl with a big ball in that show? I don't know what that was supposed to be either. Obviously I remain confused.

Anything since 1997. I'm not into themed shows because its usually a stretch to understand what RED really means. Who does Bolero, Day Danse, Symphonic Dance No3 equal Red, shouldn't it be called Dances?

Theres others but that one bugs me the most. And yes there are some that I do like.

Well, for me these all encompass a generally Spanish flavor, and often the color red is associated with such music. In fact, when I instruct vocal ensembles I often use color and image to help the students reach for a particular musical quality. For example, I've programmed a set of three songs called "Three Spanish Ballades" for my girls chorus, and I've specifically invoked a deep, rich "red" as an image to aim for in the first song. The second song is a pale lavender-blue combination. The third is brilliant spring green. They get it, they do it, and it's fantastic.

So, from my point of view, the show "Red" was spot on.

Well, for me these all encompass a generally Spanish flavor, and often the color red is associated with such music. In fact, when I instruct vocal ensembles I often use color and image to help the students reach for a particular musical quality. For example, I've programmed a set of three songs called "Three Spanish Ballades" for my girls chorus, and I've specifically invoked a deep, rich "red" as an image to aim for in the first song. The second song is a pale lavender-blue combination. The third is brilliant spring green. They get it, they do it, and it's fantastic.

So, from my point of view, the show "Red" was spot on.

> So, from my point of view, the show "Red" was spot on.

A little Spray and Wash or Shout will take that red spot right out!

1) Since it was said here and I got flamed for it on my review of the show in 2008 I'll mention it again.

Spirit 2008:FOUR. All I could think was "I've tried to see a theme here at least four times and I give up"

2) Cadets 2006: I understand the door from 2005. I understand what there is to understand about Alice In Wonderland. I understood nothing else. Why would you do that to a uniform? What take most of the playing out of the show. Why use horrible colorguard staging through a complete show? The subtle references to drugs weren't subtle.

3) BD 2005: Dance Derby of the Century. Must have been "let's take a mediocre theme about an event almost now one even understands, add some less than stellar playing and "dancing" and then do it in reverse. That way it will seem really deep and get us GE points. In the middle, we can use microphones to make even 4 years olds vomit with "Yowza Yowza Yowza!"

4) BD2010. No explanation required since there are 462,551 posts about it.

Here's a few ( no particular order)

a) SCV : " ! " ...... 2007 ( it's an exclamation point show, that needed more explanation )

b)Cadets: " This I believe " 2007 ( needed a little less explanation, imo. )

c) Boston Crusaders : " The Cathedrals of the Mind " 2006 ( I felt I was in the right church, but maybe the wrong pew )

d) Madison Scouts : " El Relampago " 2009.... and " LaNoche de la Iguana... Intelligencia, Pasion, Progreso " 2010 ( sometimes if we eat exotic foods, we could have nightmares of lizards, salamanders, and iguanas, and unexplained stobe white and green lights, etc... maybe the designer had a bad ice cube in their drink, or an exotic food dish that created night sweats when they came up with this nightmare for us )

E) Bluecoats : " Connexus " 2006 ( it just never connected with me at the end )

F) Glassmen : " Gitano " 2007 " ( was it written at Gitmo ? Perhaps under the duress of waterboarding ? )

H ) Troopers : " Western Side Story " 2009 ( The rival NY gangs of the Sharks, and the Jets meet up with... the Cowboys and Cowgirls ? )

I ) SCV : " Not the Nutcracker " 1995 ( we figured this theme was aptly named anyway )

j) Blue Devils : " Constantly Risking Absurdity " 2008 ( and by the end of the show, they had reached a high level of absurdity too, imo )

K ) Cavaliers : " Traditions for a new Era " 1998 ( huh ? )

L ) Blue Stars " The Factory " 2009 ( this show theme needed a liitle more work in the shop, imo )

m) Blue Knights :" Dark Knights" 2006..... " Dark Dances " 2007... ( somebody needed to turn the lights on... I get the " dark " bit... but turn the lights on when you're dancing, ya know )

n) The Colts : " Equinox " 2007( now the lights were on HERE with this theme ... but for too long, imo )

O ) Crossmen :" Full Circle" 2010 ( didn't quite complete the circle however, imo )

P) Glassmen : " Imago " 2001 ( I couldn't imagine it, no matter how hard I worked my brain )

Q) Spirit : " Forging an Icon " 2010 ( this theme should have been named " Forcing an Ironic " )

R ) SCV : " Pathways " 2003 ( SCV should have taken a different path this year with this theme, imo )

S) Blue Devils : " Methods of Madness " 2000 ( there's a " method" to it ? who knew ? )

t) Blue Devils : " Conversations in Jazz " 1991 ( wasn't bad, I got the " jazz " part, but it was a show ahead of it's time. One way conversations in shows with the audience didn't come in until about 15 years later )

U) Phantom Regiment : " Masters of Mystique " 2000 ( It was a mystery to me )

V) Phantom Regiment : " Adventures under a Darkened Sky " 1995 ( music was cool, but in the end I was in the dark with what the theme was meant to convey to me )

These were some... I 'm sure I could think of several more.

Equinox was designed for a 2 year old to get it...And some little kids really did get it. I thought that was part of the appeal back then! :P

I did not understand BD2010 honestly. Saw it live and in encore as well. It was SO awesome but I didn't really "get" it.

Cavaliers: "Traditions for a New Era" (1998) -- huh?

I only caught up with this show a few months ago (well, I'd heard it on CD many times, but never seen it), and really enjoyed it. The title makes perfect sense in retrospect, at least: sylistically, this show fits much more with the Cavaliers' 2000s presentations than with what they'd done before.

Boston 2002 - You are my Star. I suppose this title is a tribute to troops? Founding fathers, maybe? Who is the "star" here? And where did that ballad tune come from? As I recall, there aren't any acknowledgements on corpsreps for the composer/lyricist. I loved when BAC was doing a vocal section in their show, but the You are my Star tune was pretty awkward sounding.

Spirit 2003 - TIME. It's been a long time since I've seen the show, but it just seemed like an assorted bag. In particular, the "drum corps legends" flags seemed to be a heartstring tugging ploy. This seemed to be the third major show to cover time in some way: the portrayal of time at the beginning of the Cadets show in 2000 was fantastic, and the portrayal by SCV in 2001 was demonstrated with "busyness" and "work day." I didn't catch "time" so well in the Spirit 2003 show.

Spirit 2004 - Urbanscapes. Same thing - it's been a long time since I've seen it, and it seemed like such a random collection of tunes and motifs. A traffic theme somewhere in there, complete with traffic cop? What the heck?

Cadets 2004 - Living with the Past. I've always assumed that the show is a straightforward collection of Jethro Tull tunes. Am I wrong here? Is there an underlying storyline that necessitates the title? Because technically, the Jethro Tull tune with a similar title is "Living in the Past," not "with."

Blue Knights 2005 - A Midsummer Knight's Dream. I like the show a lot, and I'm cool with the title being generic. However, I've read before that the show is supposed to represent a summer on tour. If that's the case, the design of the show makes no sense to me... :)

Cavaliers 2010 - Mad World. "Nothing is like it seems" was the paraphrased designers' description of the show. That frankly didn't help me a great deal. Whether I understand it as they intended, I don't know, but most everything makes sense to me except the "this is my rifle" section. How did that fit?

My very favorite shows have had a fairly general title that was more a product of the music rather than the other way around, e.g., Defiant Heart, Adventures Under a Darkened Sky, Inventions for a New Millenium, Age of Reverence, Celebration.

Cadets 2006

Peeked at 2006 FN just now. It's based on Twilight Zone (a tv program i used to watch). We went to finals 2010; understood most concepts but I couldn't get my head around Boston Crusaders. I realized the throne was a focal point but I got lost half way through the story :thumbup:

Peeked at Cadets 2006 on FN just now. It's based on The Twilight Zone (a TV program I used to watch).

So is 2005. Neither year's opening narrator even began to evoke Rod Serling's style for me, though at least 2006 didn't mumble.