Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

This might be a twelve...

I dont know why people continue to use this video.

Carolina Crown is loud. Possible having the biggest sound (granted they use the same easy chords..) Their brass is terrific. Their brass is my favorite thing about the corps.

This video was shot with a terrible camera. You hear static, not the hornline.

• Like 2

I dont know why people continue to use this video.

Carolina Crown is loud. Possible having the biggest sound (granted they use the same easy chords..) Their brass is terrific. Their brass is my favorite thing about the corps.

This video was shot with a terrible camera. You hear static, not the hornline.

Perhaps this one, then:

Seriously how can anybody be excited about a drum corps show featuring a keyboard player (we all heard Cadets '09, right?) and We Will Rock You. I mean, seriously, We Will Rock You has a grand total of around 6 different notes in the entire song. After saying that I can't help but think though, do they ever play more than 6 different notes. OPEN Bb PERFECT FIFTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sums up about every crown ending impact point ever or at least in the past couple of years.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing the sound this always powerful hornline produces. I can make fun all I want but there is no denying they have an incredible sound.

Edited by Teamcoco3
  • Like 5

Seriously how can anybody be excited about a drum corps show featuring a keyboard player (we all heard Cadets '09, right?) and We Will Rock You. I mean, seriously, We Will Rock You has a grand total of around 6 different notes in the entire song. After saying that I can't help but think though, do they ever play more than 6 different notes. OPEN Bb PERFECT FIFTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sums up about every crown ending impact point ever or at least in the past couple of years.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing the sound this always powerful hornline produces. I can make fun all I want but there is no denying they have an incredible sound.

Careful. Queen is notorious for being anything but musically simple. I have studied their music in theory classes on more than one occasion. There's more going on there than you might think.

• Like 1

Careful. Queen is notorious for being anything but musically simple. I have studied their music in theory classes on more than one occasion. There's more going on there than you might think.

Somehow I don't think the show will be 11mins of WWRY :-) As for featuring Nick Starr playing Rachmaninoff, I think it will be amazing (so long as the rest of the corps doesn't break for water when he starts playing).

• Like 2

In regards to the body movement, I get that it ups the demand.

However, it seems to be entering the territory of "demand for demand's sake". There are times where it makes sense in the show, but more often than not, it's lost on me. (And I don't mean to single out Crown as this applies to a lot of corps utilizing it.)

On the other hand, it comes down to taste. One could argue that Cadets' utilization of frenetic drill is "demand for demand's sake" as well. I would just rather see that than the mello section doing plies.

• Like 4

Perhaps this one, then:

Much better quality.

And if you notice....Doesn't sound louder than any other corps in the lot. Maybe slightly fuller than some who use extended ranged or different progressions.

I think BD's warmups sounds louder than this video. .. but it is a different camera, and different chord progression

Once again, I deeply admire the Crown brass program, I just hate misreads off bad recordings.

I suppose I don't have any choice but to buy into it . . .everything skews visual now, so of course body movement is part of that. It still is a lot like watching paint dry occasionally, no matter who does it. Give me a Cadets 1993/1998/2009 drill instead, even if it is a little dirty.

I suppose I'm a dino a bit here, but, really, that sort of free-form expression is what your 40+ member guard is for, for the most part, IMO.

Hooray if you can work in some body movement occasionally, but there's very few times that people will gasp for the stuff in, for example, Nimrod (as hard as it is, and believe me, I get the multiple iterations of difficulty there, I'm speaking strictly on the surface level) versus some nutty whiplash drill moves.

Look at it another way: do you ever see threads on "favorite body movement"? :tongue:

:worthy:

• Like 2