2011 DCI Tour of Champions and more

Come on folks. I didn't say you can't go to the Erie show or must only dedicate your money for G8 corps. I'm saying this "statement" some of you seem determined to make against the G8 can't possibly help the health of the activity.

Why not?

What's good for the top corps ultimately is good for drum corps. It's always been that way and always will be.

By that logic, the G7 proposal made back in May was "good for drum corps".

So in your view, should we cut off all DCI revenue-sharing to the 8th-nth placing member corps, and direct it all to the top 7? That would be good for the top corps, right?

I'm all for supporting more than just the elite. I donate directly to a bottom tier corps. I make a point each year to buy at least one shirt (or some other souvie) from a non-finalist too.

That's great. I hope others can do the same without being subject to blind criticism.

Most important, I arrive on time for the show so I can observe and applaud every corps. As much as I'd like to watch the BD warmup, I don't because all the corps deserve our support and appreciation. That's the point here.

On that, we agree.

Not going to a G8 just because Madison or Mandarins weren't good enough to make the cut is as destructive to our activity as talking through non-finalist shows.

Going to a G23 show instead of a G8 show is not destructive. Why condemn fans who choose to spend their limited money and time attending regular DCI shows instead of TOC shows?

Better yet, Crossmen could continue to try and improve the program, increase their local recruiting success and become more competitive. Then, rather than be frustrated by being locked out of these shows, they can compete right along with those 8. As I recall, there was a point in history when that's how it would have played out.

And could you please explain to me how being shut out of a show in their backyard helps them "increase their local recruiting success"?

• Like 1

...Going to a G23 show instead of a G8 show is not destructive. Why condemn fans who choose to spend their limited money and time attending regular DCI shows instead of TOC shows?

I'm not condemning fans who must make such economic choices. I'm referring to those who would withhold from TOC shows for other reasons, who think they're making a statement by doing so. We owe it to drum corps to support it without regard to placement. That applies to No. 1 as well as No. 21.

HH

Edited by glory

And could you please explain to me how being shut out of a show in their backyard helps them "increase their local recruiting success"?

flag on the play. illegal use of logic. 10 yards, loss of down

I'm not condemning fans who must make such economic choices. I'm referring to those who would withhold from TOC shows for other reasons, who think they're making a statement by doing so. We owe it to drum corps to support it without regard to placement. That applies to No. 1 as well as No. 21.

HH

well, if you don't agree with their vision, why would you give them the cash? the more people that show up to those shows, the more that leads them to think they were right all along

well, if you don't agree with their vision, why would you give them the cash? the more people that show up to those shows, the more that leads them to think they were right all along

All due respect, but I think your approach (not supporting the TOC) puts the future of drum corps at greater risk than theirs. Their success at least affords the option for expansion of the concept and/or sharing of revenue. Yours promises only starvation.

Solomon suggested splitting the baby; y'all want half. No good.

HH

• Like 1

All due respect, but I think your approach (not supporting the TOC) puts the future of drum corps at greater risk than theirs. Their success at least affords the option for expansion of the concept and/or sharing of revenue. Yours promises only starvation.

HH

Well, I see your point. However there are plenty of regular season shows they could go to instead of these super shows that would help feed them AND the other 15 corps.

People bailed on New Coke left and right...and Coke learned to bring back the good kind.

• Like 1

Come on folks. I didn't say you can't go to the Erie show or must only dedicate your money for G8 corps. I'm saying this "statement" some of you seem determined to make against the G8 can't possibly help the health of the activity. What's good for the top corps ultimately is good for drum corps. It's always been that way and always will be.

I'm all for supporting more than just the elite. I donate directly to a bottom tier corps. I make a point each year to buy at least one shirt (or some other souvie) from a non-finalist too.

Most important, I arrive on time for the show so I can observe and applaud every corps. As much as I'd like to watch the BD warmup, I don't because all the corps deserve our support and appreciation. That's the point here. Not going to a G8 just because Madison or Mandarins weren't good enough to make the cut is as destructive to our activity as talking through non-finalist shows.

HH

which corps are the top corps? just wondering if you could provide a comprehensive list...

HH

they wanted to take all the money and divide it amongst themselves and kill off open class... and you think that is the best strategy?

uhm... people realize that the G7 who made the proposal aren't going to always be in the G8 right? What I mean is, that if Boston manages to get 8th or higher for 3 years in a row that they will be able to participate in the TOC shows. And if Blue Stars drop out of the top 8 eight for 3 years in a row they are no longer able to perform in the G8 shows.

Just saying...