2011 DCI Tour of Champions and more

See the problem is that people are so bitter about this whole thing they fail to see that the TOC show gives people exactly what they want. More of the best kind of drum corps

and if you consider all of DCI to be the best, well too bad, the other 15 corps will be somewhere else you probably cant get into in a 2/3 hour drive

. I mean no one's going to go to argue that the top 8 are the best. You may have your favorites, you may have loyalty, you may hate organizations, and you may have disagreements with show design/ concepts/ etc. but the top 8 are most certainly the best. I don't like BD but I would never say that they didn't deserve first because I didn't like their music. (notice I'm saying top 8 because over the years they are likely to change as they have in recent years)

except I like to see them all, as do many other people

So, TOC is saying, we know you like the best, so, here is the best. But its not saying that the other corps are "worse". It's just that they aren't the best (not everyone can be the best. And obviously I'm not hating on a lower tier corps I've marched one and have respect for all organizations)

and from a marketing perspective...and, let's be honest, judging perspective...the other corps have that much more against them to crack into the "best"

think you're going to join the "elite" by being stuck elsewhere if at all on 8 dates? hardly. If you can't get a show, you still have expenses with no income.

The TOC shows give us MORE of the best drum corps. Encore tunes and what not. Obviously what's actually going to happen at these shows is still a mystery but I hear that they are going to offer more interactive experiences at corps warm up locations, and in the stadium.

and IMO, the lot is over rated. Why? especially in the drum world, you see far harder stuff played there than you do on the move...and then on the move they can't even play 16th notes clean at finals

Offering me more of the best is exactly what I like, but that DOES NOT make me against lower tier corps, or for the overthrow of DCI by the elite. For christ sakes, this happens in politics all the time, people think there are only two sides to every issue when in fact the gray area in the middle is where issues should really stand.

show me the gray please. the corps proposed to basically shut corps out of DCI, cut their opportunities to make money, and the brains of the group have proven time and time again they will so all they can to keep pushing for what they want, even if it's not good for drum corps.

Remember, these "leaders" are the ones who put the system in place they now say is broken. I don't see any of them owning up to that now, do you? Of course not. It's somebody else's fault.

So, really if you don't go to TOC show for DCI/G8 political reasons, fine (blah blah, its your money, blah, blah) But I know that if you really liked drum corps as much as I do that you'll be missing a pretty sweet show IMHO. ;)

not really. since I can see those corps PLUS everyone else closer to home the 2 days before, I'm notmissing anything...I'm seeing far more, and for most likely, a better price.

• Like 1

And your point is...?

Yes, I guess 5 corps have developed a certain level of consistency. do you feel that those 5 corps don't belong in the top 8? And who said anything about voting?

Did I say they don't belong there? no. I said those 5 have a lot of power, and if they keep pushing for the G8 stuff, those 5 can rule all. Ya know, kinda like what they want in the long run

Well, people have to experience it first until decide whether or not it's good. the DVD didn't come and people started buying it immediately like crazy. They had to experience it first until they decided for themselves whether it was good/better.

Same goes for the TOC Shows!!

giving that much cash to 8 corps who only care about themselves and not caring about the rest of drum corps is not my idea of a good time.

and if you consider all of DCI to be the best, well too bad, the other 15 corps will be somewhere else you probably cant get into in a 2/3 hour drive

Okay this is just silly. What are we BOA? "We are all winners in life!" Yea... Wake up call! Only the top 3 get medals in every competition ever. Get with the program, they aren't all the best. Sorry to burst your idealistic bubble. They are all wonderful, do wonderful things for kids and they are entertaining and good... but NO, they are NOT ALL the best.

except I like to see them all, as do many other people

Right... so because YOU want to see all 23 World Class corps we aren't allowed to exclusively show the best 8 corps? Sounds a little selfish...

and from a marketing perspective...and, let's be honest, judging perspective...the other corps have that much more against them to crack into the "best"

Okay so your saying that Boston and Madison and Blue Knights belong in the top 8? do you feel those corps are being poorly judged? Which corps that is currently in the top 8 do you feel that Boston and Madison and Blue Knights are better than? If you feel that the problem is with the judging then that's a different concern all together. But frankly I feel that all corps, from a "subjective" (yea right) view point the judging system is as fair as it can ever be (thought modifications are always welcome and encouraged!) And I feel that corps do get their "correct" placement.

think you're going to join the "elite" by being stuck elsewhere if at all on 8 dates? hardly. If you can't get a show, you still have expenses with no income.

There are always multiple shows happening in multiple different places with different corps. This one really isn't any different. Murfreesburo TN (however you spell it) is also a competition where only the top 8 can perform but no one is complaining about that one.

and IMO, the lot is over rated. Why? especially in the drum world, you see far harder stuff played there than you do on the move...and then on the move they can't even play 16th notes clean at finals

Why? Why, do you choose to bash corps like this?

show me the gray please. the corps proposed to basically shut corps out of DCI, cut their opportunities to make money, and the brains of the group have proven time and time again they will so all they can to keep pushing for what they want, even if it's not good for drum corps.

Remember, these "leaders" are the ones who put the system in place they now say is broken. I don't see any of them owning up to that now, do you? Of course not. It's somebody else's fault.

You see, painting with a broad brush again. Your too general and it makes you seem like your crazy person. If you just break down to specifics and not broad incorrect generalizations you won't be so fired up.

Well, the gray I was referring to was that I can enjoy a TOC show and not be labled as "supporting the demise of Drum corps/ DCI" cuz that's just silly.

not really. since I can see those corps PLUS everyone else closer to home the 2 days before, I'm notmissing anything...I'm seeing far more, and for most likely, a better price.

Good for you. Now go give everyone a trophy, tell everyone their special in their own way, watch any and all corps you want for hours on end, get a hot dog ONLY during intermission and give all your life savings to ONLY the bottom 13 corps. I can see that would make you happy. Cheers!

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 3

giving that much cash to 8 corps who only care about themselves and not caring about the rest of drum corps is not my idea of a good time.

And giving my cash to 8 corps who have consistently made me hold my breath, gasp in awe, scream at the top of my lung in excitement, jump out of my seat, made me cry, laugh, and continue to inspire me with their incredible levels of achievement is certainly my idea of a good time.

I'm not condemning fans who must make such economic choices. I'm referring to those who would withhold from TOC shows for other reasons, who think they're making a statement by doing so. We owe it to drum corps to support it without regard to placement. That applies to No. 1 as well as No. 21.

But you're contradicting yourself. How does one "support drum corps without regard to placement" by going to TOC shows, where the lineup selection is based entirely on placement?

As a fan of #1, #21, #41, and all the other #s, I will be happy to see people supporting drum corps no matter what the reasons. If there are more fans at TOC shows....great. If there are more fans at non-TOC shows....great. Either way, if this episode in history causes people to show their support for drum corps in a tangible fa$hion....great.

All due respect, but I think your approach (not supporting the TOC) puts the future of drum corps at greater risk than theirs. Their success at least affords the option for expansion of the concept and/or sharing of revenue. Yours promises only starvation.

Solomon suggested splitting the baby; y'all want half. No good.

You have completely lost me.

1. Explain to me how someone going to Allentown instead of a TOC show "puts the future of drum corps at greater risk".

2. In what way does the typical DCI show cause "starvation"? And in what way is TOC show revenue shared that would change that?

3. Frankly, the clearest example of baby-halving I have seen was the G7 proposal.