2011 DCI Tour of Champions and more

I MAY go to "Charlotte" TOC, or I may just do what I've done recently and just go watch The Cadets practice and then go home. Will otherwise be in Indy for Semis/Finals.

My only opportunity to see any corps this year may be the TOC show in Charlotte/Rock Hill. Don't really want to support the G8 but I hate to not see any corps live. But alas, I am a poor college student and if they decide to charge a ridiculous amount for tickets (which I imagine they will :satisfied: ), then I will probably go watch some rehearsals in the afternoon then stay home that night. :tongue:

June 25 Grand Rapids MI - 24 hour car rental from Midway

July 2 Michigan City IN - carpool with Judy and Sharon

July 9 Denver CO - redeem Southwest Luv Voucher*

July 10 Omaha NE (Tour of Champions) - redeem Southwest Luv Voucher*

Aug 5 Allentown PA - redeem free Southwest roundtrip via Philadelphia

Aug 6 Allentown PA

Aug 7 New Jersey (Tour of Champions)

Aug 13 Indianapolis - megabus

* After last July's awful weather in Minneapolis, I volunteered to take a later returning flight to Chicago. As the flight was more than 2 hours later, the airline gives you $300 to use within a year PLUS the value of your postponed flight. The $300 was a great consolation prize for missing several corps at TCF Bank Stadium.

Annually, I fly a free roundtrip into Philly for the Allentown show, courtesy of the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards program.

This July, I am missing Minneapolis as Elizabeth is having her Bat Mitzvah on July 16, 2011.

Edited by DeanInChicago

While I agree with the concept of the G8, I disagree with the condensing of the shows to a smaller geographical area. The string I created about the Annapolis show being moved to Piscataway, NJ is just one example. Having multiple shows within an hour of each other, like Allentown and Piscataway during the first weekend in August, that include the G8 is missing the opportunity to increase the fanbase. The same people go to both shows (yes, I know that Allentown is two separate days).

Is YEA taking care of the Cadets by moving the show from Annapolis to Piscataway? Sounds like a weekend of hometown shows to me.

If the idea is to bankrupt as many non-G8 corps as possible, I think it will succeed brilliantly.

First 2 shows of the year are in Texas, and the Crossmen are not allowed to perform. The G8 don't want to share money with them. How f'd up is that?

Yes, the corps are independent, and to some extent can do what they want, but DCI *should* be looking out for the health of the entire activity (though, it never has). DCI is run by the top corps for the benefit of the top corps, has been that way since it was created. Think how NASCAR would be if it was run by the top 4 teams for the benefit of the top 4 teams, rather than being run by an organization not affilited with ANY of the teams, and you have DCI.

Here's a rule DCI should adopt: Any show with World Class corps in it that is not open to ANY/ALL World Class Corps that wish to participate will NOT be a DCI sanctioned show, will not be promoted by DCI or mentioned on DCI.org in any way. Also, any judges that work said show will be ineligible to judge at any DCI event for the remainder of that year. If corps want to stage an exhibition performance somewhere, fine good luck with that, but it should NEVER be allowed to interfere with the DCI competition schedule.

I, for one, will be going to the Erie, PA show the Sunday after Allentown. That's the show for all the non-G8 corps on the same day as the G8 show in NJ. I'll vote with my feet and my wallet. I used to have a performance that day, but it seems the G8 in addition to not wanting to share income with non-G8 DCI corps also don't want to share any income with exhibition corps.

Basically, if you're not in the G8, you're getting screwed by them.

• Like 2

Concerning the 2011 DCI Championships, my tickets have been ordered. I have a "Friend" who is handling it for me. I called on him last season to hook me up with some tickets and he came through for me like a champ! I am so excited! I will be getting tickets in Section 240! I will need 6 for myself and a few friends. I am ordering 4 more tickets in Section 240, for a total of 10 ticket sets. I can pick up some additional ticket sets through other "Friends", if I need them. They will get them for me as soon as the funds become available.

I can hardly wait! I sat in Section 240, Row 6 for 1/4 finals, and Section 240, Row 5 for 1/2 finals, in 2010. Awesome seats! I and all of the people who get their tickets through me are going to be in Drum Corps Heaven!

What are you doing about your DCI Championships tickets? Have you ordered yet? Don't delay! Choice seats will SELL OUT as the winter turns into Spring!

Yours in Drum Corps,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

it's rare i go to Nj without being paid for it or the beach, and the G* show there won't do either.

so I'll be in Allentown

June 21st - Indianapolis

4 corps? Talk about a waste of time. Are tickets going to be $8?

Any idea what the ticket prices are for the ToC shows. Is it going to vary by show site?