2011 DCI Tour of Champions and more

I can't think of a worse way to help the activity.

HH

except feeding the beast means the 8 will want more of the power and push for more of the original presentation.

and you know they will. history has proven that time and time again.

Edited by Jeff Ream

I might go to a show if it's close and isn't one of the greedy tour of whatever events.

That's my problem! Since they decided to remove the 2 show format for Houston in favor of the ToC format, the closest show to me that isn't a ToC show is now 3 hours away! Plus, one of those corps might be staying at the school I work at.

Won't go see the eight best drum corps in the world ostensibly to demonstrate your solidarity with the corps who didn't make the first-class cut? That's going to help them how? Lunkhead jocks taunting "band" geeks aren't the enemy; we are.

I can't believe I'm reading this. So you actually have a problem with someone going to the Erie show instead of Piscataway?

I'm assuming the Crossmen aren't that immature.

Better yet, Crossmen could continue to try and improve the program, increase their local recruiting success and become more competitive. Then, rather than be frustrated by being locked out of these shows, they can compete right along with those 8. As I recall, there was a point in history when that's how it would have played out.

• Like 1

I'll be at the Madison and Cedarburg shows again, if fortune favors I'll go to Minneapolis.

I can't think of a worse way to help the activity.

HH

So you can only support the activity by paying to see the top corps? Well Hell let's just get rid of the non-8 all together so the activity will really improve.

How is going to the G-8 "something different" shows instead of a regular DCI competition supporting the activity? Doubt if very many of us have the time and money to do both even if they wanted to. I honestly don't see the market supporting two sets of Junior corps entertainment. And unless the price of the G-8 "something" shows is fairly cheap, I doubt they will bring in new people. So both groups (DCI/G-8) will be going for the same (static) group of potential customers.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Come on folks. I didn't say you can't go to the Erie show or must only dedicate your money for G8 corps. I'm saying this "statement" some of you seem determined to make against the G8 can't possibly help the health of the activity. What's good for the top corps ultimately is good for drum corps. It's always been that way and always will be.

I'm all for supporting more than just the elite. I donate directly to a bottom tier corps. I make a point each year to buy at least one shirt (or some other souvie) from a non-finalist too.

Most important, I arrive on time for the show so I can observe and applaud every corps. As much as I'd like to watch the BD warmup, I don't because all the corps deserve our support and appreciation. That's the point here. Not going to a G8 just because Madison or Mandarins weren't good enough to make the cut is as destructive to our activity as talking through non-finalist shows.

HH

I, for one, will be going to the Erie, PA show the Sunday after Allentown. That's the show for all the non-G8 corps on the same day as the G8 show in NJ. I'll vote with my feet and my wallet. I used to have a performance that day, but it seems the G8 in addition to not wanting to share income with non-G8 DCI corps also don't want to share any income with exhibition corps.

I'll go to the Erie show, but not directly because of the G8 factor. It's the closest show to where I live where Madison will be performing, and since I know two members of that corps, I want to be there to support them. If Madison were going to be in Buffalo, I'd go there because it's closer.

I'm assuming the Crossmen aren't that immature.

Yea yea I know.