Phantom Regiment 2011

The horn book is as weak as water, one ballad after another. The battery is ramming a lot of notes, but it doesn't fit what the HL is doing. When I saw the vid I was thinking this is a 9th place show.

Haha!

• Like 2

The horn book is as weak as water, one ballad after another. The battery is ramming a lot of notes, but it doesn't fit what the HL is doing. When I saw the vid I was thinking this is a 9th place show.

Ballads are some of the toughest pieces to nail. When (not if, but WHEN) it gets clean, it'll be fantastic. Phantom Regiment never has a weak horn book.

• Like 3

I think I'm OK with the 'drum set' thing: kind of add a little bit of a 'modern flair' to the arrangement. It does seem a little bit jarring now, but in context to the rest of the program it might work a bit better. I think we've heard Phantom do odd percussion arrangements to classics and turned an "odd" stylistic choice into a classic.

I do agree with you regarding the battery arranging. It's possible because we're all used to the past several years of great arranging, it will take time for some of us to get used to the new arranging style. But I agree that this book is a contrast to the more subtle style of Rennick's arranging. We'll see what it sounds like on the field, and by August it will be radically different anyway.

staging could make all the difference in the world

• Like 1

I absolutely love the Holdridge. By the end of the season I can easily see it being compared with some of the classic Phantom openers (1991, 1996, and 2003 come to mind).

The only thing in the opener that seems to be bugging me every time I listen to it is the last big chord and it's resolution. I want to hear each of them twice as long but I get bummed out when I don't. Instead of 4 beats of chord followed by 4 beats of resolution and diminuendo, I'm feeling 8 beats of chord followed by 8 beats of resolution with the last 4 of those as a diminuendo. I just don't feel like we're getting the full effect of what is possible there. Granted, last year's opener had many things change by the end of the season so I'm sure I'll be quite happy with the end result anyway.

Can't wait to see this in Round Rock a week from Sunday!

The horn book is as weak as water, one ballad after another. The battery is ramming a lot of notes, but it doesnt fit what the HL is doing. When I saw the vid I was thinking this is a 9th place show.

Isn't it wonderful! A musical book for people who don't have ADHD......and what a wonderful 9th place show it would be!

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 2

Isn't it wonderful! A musical book for people who don't have ADHD......and what a wonderful 9th place show it would be!

As long as someone makes a recording of it in August, it can finish behind Pioneer for all I care. :tongue:

As long as someone makes a recording of it in August, it can finish behind Pioneer for all I care. :tongue:

A recording using the IsoMike system.

if you are able to divine that, you must know which corps will beat them as well.

please explain.

Let's see. The entire percussion section is in rebuilding mode, and it will take a while for the new caption head/arranger to get his system in place. The hornline is okay, but there are some pretty egregious problems in the high brass especially. I don't feel like the arrangements are anything special, and the electronic drum kit part is just bad. Phantom hasn't ever had a particularly outstanding visual design, and I think it is a bit unrealistic to assume that this caption will make up for the aforementioned issues.

In terms of corps beating them, I'd say most likely the Blue Devils, The Cavaliers, The Cadets, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, and possibly SCV are possibilities to be above them, if they are indeed in 6th or below. There is always the possibility of another corps (Madison? Blue Stars? Boston?) having a stellar season and being in that top group as well, but you should know that based on DCI history.

• Like 2

Let's see. The entire percussion section is in rebuilding mode, and it will take a while for the new caption head/arranger to get his system in place. The hornline is okay, but there are some pretty egregious problems in the high brass especially. I don't feel like the arrangements are anything special, and the electronic drum kit part is just bad. Phantom hasn't ever had a particularly outstanding visual design, and I think it is a bit unrealistic to assume that this caption will make up for the aforementioned issues.

In terms of corps beating them, I'd say most likely the Blue Devils, The Cavaliers, The Cadets, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, and possibly SCV are possibilities to be above them, if they are indeed in 6th or below. There is always the possibility of another corps (Madison? Blue Stars? Boston?) having a stellar season and being in that top group as well, but you should know that based on DCI history.

As you get older, you might come to understand that there can only be one winner. If winning is everything, then you run the risk of continually being disappointed through life.

In the meantime, I'll be blasting Phantom 2011 on my stereo and sipping a cold one in a wonderful, Phantom-hornline produced bliss.

• Like 5