Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

I know people keep trying to tell me to see it from their perspective of the legacy fan, having to go through the last thirty years of changes, but I would really like some of you guys to try and see if from the modern members perspective too. This is the drum corps reality we know and love, and yet thousands of us still go out and march every year, the same way it was when you were around. It's still Drum Corps, it's still kids out performing on a field in front of fans all summer.

There is NO reason you should have to look at anything outside of the reality of today. It's the legacy people who had THEIR time who should be embracing the shows of today, as they wanted the legacy fans of their day to do 'back then'. Old-timers whined and complained about Bayonne in 1976...how it wasn't Drum Corps when they donned the banana unis. Today...they are rightly seen as one of the greatest corps ever.

There were editorials and complaints about the themed shows in 71 of Madison, Cavies and Garfield. "The Year Drum corps Died", as was printed on a t-shirt, in fact.

Each era brings its own special twist to drum corps shows and performances. IMO today is the very best there has ever been, and I go back to 64. If I were you, I'd try and ignore as best you can those who just can't accept modern times. Its their problem, not yours.

• Like 2

G bugles being gone doesnt bother me. modern drill doesnt bother me. spats bother me...i didnt like them then.

I just prefer accoustic well blended drum corps. Now, to get well blended drum corps, you have to be half way up the stadium between the 40's, and there's only so many seats available for that. Anywhere else the amps blow you out or you cant hear what they're offering.

hence why I corrected it for you

I'm sure you're not alone, but hey, those sections are the best place to view and hear corps. That's where I had seats for the '07 Finals, and loved every minute of it. But i think part of that reason is because of where the judges sit, and under the current judging systems, everything has to be pointed at them in order to get the full credit for it. Is it a problem, yes. But is there a way to fix it? I don't think so, if corps want to be competitive, they need to use the technology. They need amps and synths, since it's what's rewarded.

There is NO reason you should have to look at anything outside of the reality of today. It's the legacy people who had THEIR time who should be embracing the shows of today, as they wanted the legacy fans of their day to do 'back then'. Old-timers whined and complained about Bayonne in 1976...how it wasn't Drum Corps when they donned the banana unis. Today...they are rightly seen as one of the greatest corps ever.

There were editorials and complaints about the themed shows in 71 of Madison, Cavies and Garfield. "The Year Drum corps Died", as was printed on a t-shirt, in fact.

Each era brings its own special twist to drum corps shows and performances. IMO today is the very best there has ever been, and I go back to 64. If I were you, I'd try and ignore as best you can those who just can't accept modern times. Its their problem, not yours.

Thanks Mike. You really put it all in perspective for me. I mean, I enjoy the old stuff, I can watch some of the older shows for hours on end, it's just not for me. I enjoy my modern era, but I'm sure in 30 years I'll be just like some of the guys on here, either in the camp to stay with trends, or bemoaning the changes to the activity. Hope i can stay positive like you have man.

I just prefer accoustic well blended drum corps. Now, to get well blended drum corps, you have to be half way up the stadium between the 40's, and there's only so many seats available for that. Anywhere else the amps blow you out or you cant hear what they're offering.

Oh, that's just complete hyperbole. I've sat all over stadiums at varying heights and at varying yard-lines and have not come close to experiencing those things. I like well-blended drum corps...and amps help with that. Acoustic? Why EVER does that matter?

BTW...the seats you mention are also where acoustic corps aimed their shows..heck even in my era that is where we tried to get our best sound projection.

Thanks Mike. You really put it all in perspective for me. I mean, I enjoy the old stuff, I can watch some of the older shows for hours on end, it's just not for me. I enjoy my modern era, but I'm sure in 30 years I'll be just like some of the guys on here, either in the camp to stay with trends, or bemoaning the changes to the activity. Hope i can stay positive like you have man.

Well...if you keep an open mind, you can stay positive and accepting of new things. I enjoy old stuff too...I love watching old videos, even those pre-DCI from drumcorpsvideos.com...my goal is to buy the entire 1971 World Open finals...a GREAT show.

But I would never want the competitive corps of today to stop progressing and enhancing what they do in new and exciting ways.

• Like 1

I'm sure you're not alone, but hey, those sections are the best place to view and hear corps. That's where I had seats for the '07 Finals, and loved every minute of it. But i think part of that reason is because of where the judges sit, and under the current judging systems, everything has to be pointed at them in order to get the full credit for it. Is it a problem, yes. But is there a way to fix it? I don't think so, if corps want to be competitive, they need to use the technology. They need amps and synths, since it's what's rewarded.

then they need to use the technology available to make it work for fans everywhere, not just in the super seats.

I sat on the 35 at finals. I had a clear view of the cavies mic'd trio...and I couldn't hear them

• Like 1

Oh, that's just complete hyperbole. I've sat all over stadiums at varying heights and at varying yard-lines and have not come close to experiencing those things. I like well-blended drum corps...and amps help with that. Acoustic? Why EVER does that matter?

BTW...the seats you mention are also where acoustic corps aimed their shows..heck even in my era that is where we tried to get our best sound projection.

amps dont help Mike when you cant hear them past a certain point. as stated before, the Cavies mic'd trio was a big moment in their show last year...and me on the 35 couldnt hear them.

now at Allentown, I sat in the sweet seats...I could hear them fine.

so if you want to amp this stuff, it needs to be just as audible for people outside the 40's as in.

• Like 1

Well...if you keep an open mind, you can stay positive and accepting of new things. I enjoy old stuff too...I love watching old videos, even those pre-DCI from drumcorpsvideos.com...my goal is to buy the entire 1971 World Open finals...a GREAT show.

But I would never want the competitive corps of today to stop progressing and enhancing what they do in new and exciting ways.

That's the point is NOT new at all. MBA has been doing crap like this for years decades...and doing it marginally better IMHO. There is nothing new about amping, mic'd brass/vocals..been done. Want to be unique and not another marching band..step up to the plate and be different..be a drum corps.

then they need to use the technology available to make it work for fans everywhere, not just in the super seats.

I sat on the 35 at finals. I had a clear view of the cavies mic'd trio...and I couldn't hear them

Well, I have to say a part of them problem with the mic'd soloist is the venue for Finals. I have to say, I've loved marching in Lucas Oil, but it was weird to play in. Sound got swallowed up as soon as it left your bell. Weirdest experience ever of playing your show with 150 other people around you, by yourself.....