Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

Well, I have to say a part of them problem with the mic'd soloist is the venue for Finals. I have to say, I've loved marching in Lucas Oil, but it was weird to play in. Sound got swallowed up as soon as it left your bell. Weirdest experience ever of playing your show with 150 other people around you, by yourself.....

If you thought 150 people around you was bad, try it with 65 people instead.... :ph34r:

Because it sounds better. Because amps are corked bats. Because "any bloody fool can pull a trigger". Because the sound wasn't broke before 2004, but got "fixed" anyway. Because the fix seems to have been misleadingly justified on the grounds that it would lead to smaller, less expensive pits. Because tolerable but unneccessary miked xylophones and timpani and bland or occasionally annoying singing have now been supplemented with often ghastly synthesized bass -- a "thunderous goo" that detracts from the brass sound.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 2

Well, I have to say a part of them problem with the mic'd soloist is the venue for Finals. I have to say, I've loved marching in Lucas Oil, but it was weird to play in. Sound got swallowed up as soon as it left your bell. Weirdest experience ever of playing your show with 150 other people around you, by yourself.....

..and we got rid of G horns why again?

..and we got rid of G horns why again?

Because it's easier to train an entire line of musicians on Bb, and it's cheaper, and EVERY SINGLE ANSWER THAT'S BEEN BROUGHT UP BEFORE! It's a venue issue, not an instrumentation issue. :shutup:

Because it sounds better. Because amps are corked bats. Because "any bloody fool can pull a trigger". Because the sound wasn't broke before 2004, but got "fixed" anyway. Because the fix seems to have been misleadingly justified on the grounds that it would lead to smaller, less expensive pits. Because tolerable but unneccessary miked xylophones and timpani and bland or occasionally annoying singing have now been supplemented with often ghastly synthesized bass -- a "thunderous goo" that detracts from the brass sound.

With all due respect and full sincerity, I hope you learn to love drum corps as it is in Bb, amped, mic'ed, visual and all. I say this because your hope and vision for the activity are surely in vain. We'll no sooner go back to G or any other of your priorities than we'll march the pit or require the color pre.

The past has passed. You're entitled to fond memories of the past. I hope you enjoy those. And I hope you enjoy modern drum corps too. I do.

I hope as well you might allow me and those like me to enjoy modern drum corps - it's not asking too much.

HH

• Like 3

189 posts -- see what a carefully worded topic can produce? ph34r.gif Way to go Hroth !

As for the singing -- I glad they're using it. It's an important part of the piece of music and I don't think there's a good substitute for it in this case.

Besides Hop is loving the controversy --- the more you complain the happier he gets !! Kind of like this guy:

Grinch[1].jpg

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 4

Besides Hop is loving the controversy --- the more you complain the happier he gets !! Kind of like this guy:

LOL, my pet (pun intended) name for GH is Zach. Zach was my sisters boxer who she found on the street. Poor dog didn't care if he was getting good attention (praise) or bad attention (yelled at). He was so insecure he just wanted any type of attention. And at 80+ pounds he was REALLY hard to ignore. :w00t: