Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

OMG... Facebook stalker!!!!! FACEBOOK STALKER!!!!!!

That you? I just entered a search for band. Sorry.

Absolutely. That there are some that have a hard time accepting change and refuse to accept reality of that change.

And I've learned that people are to transfixed with the literal definition of drum corps and that they are to quick to make judgments on what people decide to call an activity even when it still stays true to what the activities "original" definition is. Drum corps = not woodwinds.

WRT to

"Adding A&E will solve all of drum corps attendance issues".

citation please?

I can recall lot's of people on DCP attributing this to him but I can't anywhere in black and white where he said anything like that.

Nor have I. I think you misunderstood my post. I was referring merely to the statement that attendance is declining.

You know this silly banter can continue forever. Maybe you should just go back to watching marching band... you know AVON and Tarpon springs... I'll just watch some drum corps... you know... Blue Devils and Blue Stars...

I agree. Sorry Charlie.

Tunacharlie.png

And I've learned that people are to transfixed with the literal definition of drum corps and that they are to quick to make judgments on what people decide to call an activity even when it still stays true to what the activities "original" definition is. Drum corps = not woodwinds.

for how many decades was the definition of drum corps drums, brass, and color guard? Sure there were changes in marching technics...but no Major changes in the 3 basic components...drums, brass, and color guard.

The year 2000 rolls along...still the same definition...then we go to Bb....technically, it's still the same definition...drums, brass, and color guard. Then we add amping the pits...then we add narration...than we add mic's...

Your definition of drum corps is only 6 years old, and it is a slap in the face of the (yes, i'm gonna say it) MAJORITY of the fans that still want the definition of drum corps to be just drums, brass, and color guard, and not drums, brass, color guard, amps, mic's, synthesizers, narration, etc.

Why are people so insistent to turn drum corps into marching band? Isn't there room for both? Quit bastardizing OUR drum corps into YOUR marching band.

• Like 1

You won't take my word for it, when top DCI directors like George Hopkins are saying the same thing or worse?

WRT: "Adding A&E will solve all of drum corps attendance issues".

Citation, please?

I can recall lots of people on DCP attributing this to him but I can't anywhere in black and white where he said anything like that. In fact you can generalize that to: Hop said that changing "X" will solve attendance problems. I really can't recall attendance being listed on any of the controversial proposals. Sometimes I think we need a drumcorps_snopes.com to ferret out all the misinformation posted on DCP :-)

I agree with you that it would be helpful to have a good reference work to lean on. (Something that could answer such questions as: what instrument was used to create the strange, ugly, electronic-sounding bass sound heard in the Blue Devils' 2007 show?) Fortunately in this case, we had this discussion in September: see here for a long quote from George Hopkins's proposal to allow electronics, where his justifications include comments on audience size.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Why are people so insistent to turn drum corps into marching band? Isn't there room for both? Quit bastardizing OUR drum corps into YOUR marching band.

DRUM CORPS IS MINE! NOT YOURS!

Really, I'll just say you're getting a little carried away there. Don't make this an issue about someone's evil plot to "bastardize" drum corps because it definitely isn't. For Pete's sake no one is doing anything. We all love drum corps.

All I said was the drum corps is not drum corps if there are woodwinds. The electronics and voice are things I honestly believe don't ruin the activity but make it better.

I think that corps should do what they want with intention that some corps will revert back to no-synths, g bugles, and no amps while others may decide to go another route and include or exclude things as they see fit but all of them will still compete with each other.

Frankly, I think that that is the most fair thing.

But honestly "I" am not bastardizing anything. Please, just stop such silly language.

Edited by charlie1223