Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

Hopkins said in the CNN article that woodwinds are coming (if he gets his way). So, I guess you will need a new definition for drum corps soon.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/08/12/drum.corps.trouble/index.html

because often times things over designed and full of pretentious super hidden meanings come off that way

The words pretentious or boring are not what I describe art. Artists are usually shy, focused on what they feel and are trying to express to others or themselves in the medium they chose to explore, nothing more. I'm not an artist and shy. On Sunday I watched Ice Princess on TV and thought of high school. I got good grades in Calculus, Biology, Geography, Theatre and English (Latin and 6 languages were offered but I already knew 4 ;-). My hobbies were drum corps and painting. If the medium you choose is subtle and in context of pure drum corps, ok by me. If it's pretentious, then it's literal. If not literal then let me watch and listen again to see if I missed something the first time ;-) Therein lies the fun and intrigue of art, imo.

edit: Latin is now called International Languages, English is now called Language Arts, Theatre/Drama is now called Fine Arts, Calculus is part of Math, Biology is part of Science and Geography is somewhere in Social Studies...go figure ha! Seems high school is a little bit confusing these days, semantically speaking :-)

Edited by lindap

Hopkins said in the CNN article that woodwinds are coming (if he gets his way). So, I guess you will need a new definition for drum corps soon.

Uh...no. That's not at all what he said in the article.

I quote: "Traditionalists fear Hopkins will pierce the last remaining veil that separates DCI's brass-based sound from their high school and college marching band brethren: Allowing clarinets, saxophones and other woodwind instruments onto the field."

Nowhere in the article did George say adding woodwinds was "his way," nor did he state that woodwinds were coming.

This is the sort of thing where if repeated enough, people start to believe it. (It's on the Internet, so it must be true.)

All of us in the DCP community can help keep the facts from being overshadowed by the conjectures.

• Like 3

Uh...no. That's not at all what he said in the article.

I quote: "Traditionalists fear Hopkins will pierce the last remaining veil that separates DCI's brass-based sound from their high school and college marching band brethren: Allowing clarinets, saxophones and other woodwind instruments onto the field."

Nowhere in the article did George say adding woodwinds was "his way," nor did he state that woodwinds were coming.

This is the sort of thing where if repeated enough, people start to believe it. (It's on the Internet, so it must be true.)

All of us in the DCP community can help keep the facts from being overshadowed by the conjectures.

And he said this in the next paragraph:

"What people don't get about me is I love it the way it is, I really do," Hopkins said. "But it's not going to survive if we don't let other people in -- the next big wall is woodwind instruments."

blink.gif

So, over the past 15 years, the powers who get to decide, decided. They decided to be super marching bands. They decided they needed new audience in a growing demographic in exchange for a diminishing part of a dying demographic.

What dying demographic? Unless life expectancy is decreasing, there are no dying demographics.