When woodwinds are added....

I can't believe I've had two opportunities to use this image this week, but the two of you walked right into it.

1339363851_9a486c771e.jpg

" do you like yours dark " ?

People accuse DCI though, not an individual judge...or two...making these off-the-cuff statements.

true. but consider the viewpoint any judge hired by DCI is one of their representatives.

Well frankly the a lot of things are different and better. The BEST is that the keyboard are now are height adjustable! NO more hunched over marimba players and the like. And I would say the synthetic keys are resilient to the heat, and beating of drum corps players

the actual equipment is better. However said application of techniques to the equipment hasn't changed as much as people think

the actual equipment is better. However said application of techniques to the equipment hasn't changed as much as people think

I've got to agree with Lance. As a mallet player, I've long found it interesting to talk with drum corps mallet players. Those that were in before amplification and afterwards claimed techniques had to be adjusted. Pounding the keys sounded really bad when amplified, but proper technique was enhanced by amplification.

Of course, some corps instructors had figured out how to get the maximum sound from the keyboard instruments prior to amplification, but amplification did open up different possibilities for them.

I always thought amplification should have allowed for the need for less marimbas and vibes in the pit, but I was apparently wrong. The marimba and vibes arms race appears to have no end in sight.

• Like 2

true. but consider the viewpoint any judge hired by DCI is one of their representatives.

No, having judged a couple of hundred corps and band shows...and been to an equal number of critiques as a staff person...I'd never consider every statement made by a judge to be representative of anything beyond a spur of the moment comment...certainly nor something I'd apply to the organization as a whole as the official position on whatever-it-was being discussed.

• Like 1

I've got to agree with Lance. As a mallet player, I've long found it interesting to talk with drum corps mallet players. Those that were in before amplification and afterwards claimed techniques had to be adjusted. Pounding the keys sounded really bad when amplified, but proper technique was enhanced by amplification.

Of course, some corps instructors had figured out how to get the maximum sound from the keyboard instruments prior to amplification, but amplification did open up different possibilities for them.

I always thought amplification should have allowed for the need for less marimbas and vibes in the pit, but I was apparently wrong. The marimba and vibes arms race appears to have no end in sight.

Many years ago I was a budding music major with an emphasis in mallet and tuned percussion. My Julliard-trained percussion professor was VEHEMENTLY against drum and bugle corps usage of mallet percussion in the pit, stating that all you got was "people pounding the crap out of the bars to produce any volume, and that's not musicality." I, too, have been surprised to see that the number of keyboards in the pit have not dropped since the introduction of amps. So much for that rationale, I suppose.

• Like 1

Why, then, did a brass judge tell a Pioneer staffer that they would have to switch if they "wanted to be competitive"?

Because it's pioneer. They could use any kind of help to get out of perpetual last place.

• Like 1

Because it's pioneer. They could use any kind of help to get out of perpetual last place.

This has already been disproven. Pioneer has not "always been in last place."

No, having judged a couple of hundred corps and band shows...and been to an equal number of critiques as a staff person...I'd never consider every statement made by a judge to be representative of anything beyond a spur of the moment comment...certainly nor something I'd apply to the organization as a whole as the official position on whatever-it-was being discussed.

YOU may not...but many people do.