1980 vs 2010

Okay...this topic is taking apples and saying "Does this taste like an orange? Could it taste like an orange?!" The answer is clear, yes for both. It was cleaner. Since they had a summer to rehearse a show and get it as close to perfection as possible. The only difference is there are a core group of corps now who are attempting maneuvers that were unthinkable back then (pushing boundaries) where the corps of old were attempting moves that involved 16-5 step sizes. Most vids I've seen of my dad in his old drum lines were them marching up and down the 50 yard line. If you see a drum line marching straight up the field, it's normally when the entire corps is moving a company front. Difficulty now is the game and they're only going to keep pushing the limits of insanity and it's not going to change.

We're going to be reading a topic in 10 years "2000 vs 2020" and it's going to be just the same, apples to oranges. Things are constantly changing. People need to get over the fact that they're from their respective era of the activity and just enjoy it for what it is, art on a field built for war!

• Like 1

if the topic had been 1990-2010, the differences would be much smaller...there was stuff done in the 90's every bit as hard as stuff done today, which is kinda funny, considering the 90's is considered very "dino-esque"

• Like 1

We're going to be reading a topic in 10 years "2000 vs 2020" and it's going to be just the same, apples to oranges. Things are constantly changing. People need to get over the fact that they're from their respective era of the activity and just enjoy it for what it is, art on a field built for war!

LOL, yep and in 10-15 years some of todays members will be saying that what is on the field (if we're lucky) ain't Drum Corps. But back on topic, I'd say the main reason for the change from 1980 is dropping the M&M and music execution tics. Know of some corps then who would beat you on cleaniness with a not as exciting/complex show.

s/ Guy who heard it aint' DC for 35+ years now. :cool:

PS: Enjoy the history folks....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

If you watch a video from even the mid-80s, take a look at the technique. Arms are crunched and it really does look like most high school or college bands. The carriage is how I can tell who, among a field of marchers, has marched DCI drum and bugle corps. That carriage is relatively new. The technique today is MUCH more uniform marcher to marcher and it is BETTER. It allows the body to do more while exerting less energy and it creates a leader, taller presence. Opening the upper body and aligning the hips/spine have benefits that are simply were not there in 1980. Put a basics block from 2010 against a block from 1980, however, and you might be surprised. Individual technique is more uniform but no longer are marchers necessarily trained into a group uniformity mentality since individual demands may vary GREATLY in today's shows. I think that's the biggest issue.

Plus, it's easier to be clean while moving and exerting less physical effort because of demands placed on you. So in terms of being clean from an ensemble standpoint? 1980. From a technique standpoint? 2010. In feet? 2010 - the timing is SO much more understood in today's drum corps world.

Did top 12 DCI drum and bugle corps march cleaner in 1980 , or in 2010. This is not a discussion about better or more creative, but rather cleaner.

Has abandoning the tick system resulted in corps marching sloppy?

I would bet that there are probably the same amount of visual errors in 1980 than there were in 2010 when talking about mistake-per-drill set capita. I don't think marching is necessarily 'sloppy,' but rather the demand is so much greater that it might seem more obvious. I know that at least with a few Top 6 corps where the Caption Head was or is a friend of mine, staffers who marched during the 80's have told me the drill is harder and cleaner than it ever was when they marched. It's easy for those of us in the cheap seats to sit back and critique/nit-pick the product we're seeing (especially for people who don't like the modern era show designs, not that I'm saying you don't, Howdy). While some people choose to look at the flaws and write off the product as "sloppy," others choose to take all factors into account and give credit where credit is do.

Plus, the designs are SO apples/oranges it's kind of an unfair comparison, IMO. Also, modern corps have set the bar insanely high as far as demand/execution that judges now-a-days have a lower threshold of tolerance when it comes ranking/rating. I have little doubt that any corps from 1980 would have an extremely difficult time outscoring the majority of corps from 2010 in the vis caption: tick or build-up criteria.

I love modern drill design. What I don't like is all of this follow the leader copy each other stuff, and I am refering to the drill designers. In the 70's - 80's corps seemed to have more originality. Today it seems to me that there are not enough corps like the Blue Knights who have their own distinct marching style.

Ok I didn't read every page so here's my take on it.

Individually, 2010>1980. Drum corps cleanliness and even marching band cleanliness is about uniformity and it's even come down to the individuals looking like clones of each other with different instruments and waist sizes. But you all stand and march the same. Like someone said earlier, technique is much improved over the years. How many of you dinos have really bad lower back and shoulder problems? That's your 1980's posture that did that to you. Also, over the years as drum corps came to evolve and become more "athletic"(though I always thought it was) there are more studies that go into how do we teach them to move, stand, and hold the horn because no one naturally walks with their upper body perpendicular to their feet which is was 2010 does and shot gun shoulder was what 1980s did. It's even getting to the point to where corps are getting physical therapists and personal trainers on their staff to help with teaching the members the best way to march/stand/move.

EnsembleI feel they are close but 2010 again is still on top but just barely. Nowadays they break down the drill forms so much that every step a member takes is practically a page of drill. Granted we also go at larger step sizes but that's till besides the point. The reason 2010 is cleaner from an ensemble standpoint than 1980 is the individual carriage is more uniform. If everyone stands and looks more uniform, the set no matter what will look cleaner. A great example of this is Cadets 05. Look at how similar they look member to member as oppose to say the Cadets in 1983. It's drastic but body carriage, placement and especially horn angles play a big part in how clean you visually look as a whole. Just my 2 cents

P.S Howdy, I raise your uphill in snow both ways with 115 degree weather with 95% humidity in knee high grass from someone who's 5'11 marched at a 4.5-5 while playing whole notes. Oh ya, we're not allowed to jazz run it :tongue: You get 3 positive votes if you can name which corps, which show and which movement of that show it is

• Like 1