What would get you going to more shows and or finals?

What would get you going to more shows and or finals?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. What would get you going to more shows and or finals?

• Lower Ticket Prices
    • Better Economy,gas prices and income
    • Less or no electronics,prerecorded music and narration
    • Location of shows and finals
    • I am attending more shows than ever and everything is perfect with DCI and I would not change a thing.
    • DCI is dead to me and I will never come back
    • Other. Please explain

My "Utopian" Fix:

1) At local shows and regionals no public announcing of scores, just placements (corps' would be judged and receive feedback from judges and receive their own score, but not any other corps' score, privately); during finals week only announce advancements from prelims to simis and simis to finals; then publicly announce scores and placements during the Finale Retreat after the finals performance. This will help keep the public suspense going all the way until finals.

I love this idea! It's actually exactly how Bands of America Does their BOA Grand National Championships! They don't announce scores just if you've made onto the next round.

Edited by charlie1223

-Maybe... ACTUALLY have an INT corps? I mean, have something going on on the field during INT?! Something fun could definitely be taking place.

Like the non-finalist corps play a game of football during INT?

If we're going to mimic the scholastic crowd then let's go all the way, eh?

Edited by garfield

I mean if shows are boring to you does that really have anything to do with electronics?

since you asked, I'll answer too: YES. And as soon as I say that, there will be people accusing me of being too "stuck in the past" or "wishing drum corps was like it was when I marched" which couldn't be further from the truth. I do not, do NOT, DO NOT want that.

What I find "boring" about electronics is specific:

I don't like the sensation of anachronism that I get when a corps employs a synthesizer, including pre-recorded sounds, sound samples, etc. When a corps performs without those things, I'm in a true happy zone. I can hear everything coming from the brass, battery and pit (amps ok as long as balance is good), and the design is far more pleasing to my sensibilities than those who are using synthesized sounds - including sounds that imitate acoustic musical instruments - as part of their design.

Personally, I'd stop announcing scores for the top six ranked corps two weeks before Finals, so no one knows where they're sitting going into Finals night.

And squelch attendance at two weeks worth of other shows to get an incremental boost in finals attendance?

Personally, I'd stir the judging pot so that it no longer matters where the top six were "sitting" at previous shows (or so that there's no longer any such thing as slotting, er, "sitting").

MAKE audience response part of the scoring system.

Though not the ideal solution, that might stir the pot.

Two things missing from the list that would cause more people to go to more shows (myself included):

- more corps

- more shows

Just sayin'.

Remembering the Sr shows from my time that were within a 90 minute drive (10-12 different locations). Now down to 3 (2 Sr, 1 Jr) within 2 hours.

Also, some places don't have their handicapped access crap together.

Two things missing from the list that would cause more people to go to more shows (myself included):

- more corps

- more shows

Just sayin'.

You said it. In addition to finals week in Indy last summer, I was at six shows in the Phillie/Boston corridor, and all but one were packed or very nearly so. The lone exception was the very first show of the year (three C's in Allentown) which for a lot of reasons (first show, only three corps, other opportunities to see the same corps in the same geography, etc.) was never going to be a top seller.

It seems the number of shows has been trailing off in recent years. Beyond the direct impact on overall ticket sales, there's no doubt in my mind this also hits finals week attendance too. To pick one example, there are no events this summer within 40 miles of Baltimore. How many potential fans won't travel to West Chester, Pa., or Arlington, Va., to sample drum corps? And how many of those therefore won't buy finals tickets as a result? Or march? How many Baltimores are there?

Moreover, several corps seem to be cutting back on their committments. I haven't done a count for this summer, but I pointed out in past years that corps like BD and sometimes Cavies perform substantially fewer times than Cadets, Crown and others. How many fans choose not to make the 50 mile drive because BD or Cavies weren't there?

The answer isn't electronics no matter how much y'all might wish it were. The answer is far simpler. If you want people to come, you have to give them the opportunity. We either need more shows and more corps performing or we're going to need a miracle.

HH

To pick one example, there are no events this summer within 40 miles of Baltimore.

HH

Anyone know if there still a show at Westminster, MD? IIRC, there was an OC show there a few years ago but no idea lately. Then again WC vs OC shows could open another can o worms.

Anyone know if there still a show at Westminster, MD? IIRC, there was an OC show there a few years ago but no idea lately. Then again WC vs OC shows could open another can o worms.

The last time I remember a Westminster show was in 2007. I know it used to be a home show for The Cadets, but they stopped doing that.