What is the biggest challenge facing drum corps today?

do you spend money on things you don't like?

I also don't get on forums specifically about the thing I don't like and have hundreds or even thousands of posts ranting about how much I dislike it.

Not saying this is you, but there are a few who fit this description.

I also don't get on forums specifically about the thing I don't like and have hundreds or even thousands of posts ranting about how much I dislike it.

No, even worse, you get on here to complain about people that may have a valid complaint in their opinion.

no, i don't. can't speak for luvs.

of course, i acknowledge that lots of other people do buy things I don't like.

your argument comes down to "the majority of people who spend money on drum corps agree with my views," and i'm not quite convinced of that.

watching attendance fall just at finals over 20% in 2 years says a lot.

no matter how much you want to spin it

good news...I don't dislike all of it. But I'm not spending close to what I used to either

No, even worse, you get on here to complain about people that may have a valid complaint in their opinion.

How is that what I do. I love the activity. I plan on going to more shows this year then any other non-touring year. So while I'm here I might as well shoot fish in a barrel. Because that's what it is. I say one thing and sooo many people get upset. And here's the kicker: I don't give a single Forte what you think is a "valid opinion." No one cares about opinions. I used to come on here and lay out sound, logical arguments just to have a gang of "doom sayers" quip back with just plain ######## replies. You know the ones. They make absolutely zero sense. But hey, it's an opinion, right?

So I just sit back and laugh...that and invest in companies that make blood pressure medicine. You'll see me post to congratulate or comment on a show or program selection. But when it comes to the same ol same ol "big arguments" I stopped caring a looooong time ago.

• Like 1

k

down 13% from 08 to 09, another 11% down 09 to 2010.

and finals week makes DCI more money than any other shows. A lot more

Here's a different slant(maybe, because I'm too lazy to read all the pages):

Drum corps in general is losing influence because there is a diminishing base of people who understand the idiom. In the 70s when the number of corps was at it's peak, the fan base was largely those who participated in the process as members, parents, and families. Their continued involvement as fans carried the fortunes of drum corps through the 80s and 90s. Now, with the number of corps at or near an all-time low, there is not a sufficient number of knowledgeable fans who understand drum corps to sustain it. DCI has hit a brick wall by getting what it asked for, to be an elite group of esoteric entertainers. But at the same time, it now is relegated to compete with the Lady Gagas and the Blackeyed Peas of the world for entertainment dollars. The new fan base shouldn't be built with those who will never get the chance to participate in drum corps at any level. It should be built by growing corps and fans again at the community level.

I am a diehard baseball fan because I played the game. I love drum corps because I was in a corps as a junior, and I'm still doing it because I understand its complexity and visceral impact. The public majority who don't "get drum corps" because they never participated probably never will.