New King marching horns advertised to "take the concert sound to t

The King video doesn't mention a real innovative feature of the new horns:

you can easily convert them to the key of G! Simply press the 3rd valve down.

They instantly become 10 decibels louder.

Actually, that's not quite how it works..but thank you for playing!

Its really interesting that these horns designed by the blue devils would advertise having a "symphonic" and/or concert sound. Wouldn't they desire a more jazzy sound? They play Stan Kenton, not Mahler symphonies.

• Like 1

Its really interesting that these horns designed by the blue devils would advertise having a "symphonic" and/or concert sound. Wouldn't they desire a more jazzy sound? They play Stan Kenton, not Mahler symphonies.

All I'm gonna say is that if you're gonna pick a composer to use as the "lesser" example, Mahler is probably the LAST composer you should ever pick for that. Maybe Mozart would have been a better choice (his symphonies are certainly incredible, but not necessarily "big").

[/nerd rage + a few drinks]

• Like 1

Orchestras regularly use higher pitched trumpets than G.

Also, European brass bands who play indoors use G quite often. I don't know if they'd agree with your opinion that they were designed for outdoor ensembles. But they're only professional musicians, so what do they know?

The G bugles of drum corps were pitched a minor third lower than the current Bb horns in use today--not higher.

The fact that they were pitched in G has nothing to do, I would imagine, with them being played inside or out, so much as it was a carry-over from the original key of the surplus horns used by the first drum corps groups. They were designed to be played outdoors, to be sure, but so are the Bb/F marching brass of today.

Whether or not they were louder is obviously a hard case to make either way, but there seems to be a certain tone color difference that many of us miss who marched back in the day. That difference in tone color could be supported by the fact that orchestras do use different horns to achieve different effects tonally (the reason C trumpets are used so prominently as opposed to Bb, for example--modern trumpeters in America seem to prefer that sound in many instances).

• Like 1

Sure - bore size, taper, mouthpiece selection, etc. will undoubtedly influence tone quality/color. But it's really probably more about the players (and their collective concept, in a hornline/ensemble setting) than the instruments. Louis Armstrong playing on Maurice Andre's trumpet would still sound like Louis. Phantom playing the Blue Devils' horns would still sound like Phantom (and vice versa). All that advertising copy is just marketing claptrap.

Peace,

Fred O.

Indeed. Certainly, players seek out horns that shore up their weak points and emphasize the strong aspects of their playing, especially as it relates to whatever they happen to be performing. But by and large you're going to sound like you regardless, it's just a matter of how easy it is to make that sound.

I wonder if their trumpets are still stuffy, esp. in the upper range?

We play on Kings (MFBK), and my high notes sound pretty open.

DCI eliminated the need (and thus the demand) by passing any-key.

Kilties, Statesmen, and Renegades are the three DCA corps I can name that use G bugles (and not because they can't afford Bb/F). They sound pretty good, but not ideal, because they're limited by the DCA rehearsal schedule. I'd love to hear a corps use that instrumentation and rehearse all summer long.

dunno what Statesmen or Renegades shows you've been watching, but they sounded phenomnenal

• Like 1