New King marching horns advertised to "take the concert sound to t

That's what I said. It was developed to help compensate for the fact that 1+3 combinations are sharp by their nature.

Hey, no disrespect or offense intended - not meaning to imply that you don't know what you're talking about or anything like that. Just didn't know if folks would pick up on the fact that the 4th valve tubing was actually longer than the 1-3 combination based on the wording of your answer. I didn't mean to come off like a blowhard or know-it-all.

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 1

Hey, where's the Line of Sight window on the trumpet? I missed that.

Cheap junk.

Yamaha has Line of Sight on all of their horns. In fact, they even have it on their new Sfz snares!

w00t.gif

(yes, I'm a drummer. How can you tell?blink.gif)

• Like 1

I would love to hear a major symphonic conductor some day heap praise on his orchestra for sounding like a well-tuned, expressive drum corps.

Hearing a good concert sound on the field does not mean one has forfeited the excitement we know and love.

Fat chance of that happening; we continually attempt to ape other performance ensembles and lose what little draw we had as a niche. Perhaps we should hope to hear from Led Zep that our guitars are just as well tuned as theirs are.

Outdoor playing requires a completely different mindset and is a completely different tone than what I expect to hear from a wind ensemble or orchestra. . . I'm not paying for a wind ensemble experience outdoors.

Playing in tune is all well and good for the drum corps sound, but I don't go see drum corps for their controlled forte and superior renditions of "Rolling Thunder" and "March of The Belgian Paratroopers".

Fat chance of that happening; we continually attempt to ape other performance ensembles and lose what little draw we had as a niche. Perhaps we should hope to hear from Led Zep that our guitars are just as well tuned as theirs are.

Outdoor playing requires a completely different mindset than "F around the room" . . . I'm not paying for a wind ensemble experience outdoors.

Playing in tune is all well and good for the drum corps sound, but I don't go see drum corps for their controlled forte and superior renditions of "Rolling Thunder" and "March of The Belgian Paratroopers".

I woulda pressed yer green button, but you don't get one.

the more things we add to drum corps that already exist elsewhere is less reason to go listen to drum corps.

Saw the Atlanta Symphony play Bruckner 8 last night. That brass? I would LOVE it if a drum corps sounded that good.

Probably would need to bring back french horns and add trombones.

If I wanted a concert sound...well, you know the rest.

I want my face peeled off! I think this can be done with good quality and still with that "edge" that a hornline has

I think it's funny that some people seem to equate a "concert" sound with fluffy bunnies and unicorns as if they were wholly incapable of eliciting any emotional response other then, "Well... that was nice."

Even looking at Hroth's infamous Figure 6.5, one would be hard pressed to say that it was the lack of a "concert" sound that brought those people to their feet (although, admittedly, the science is still out on that).

Concert horns can't have or be played with an "edge" to them? Really??

Frankly, it just seems as though some people are digging even harder to find the harbinger of drum corps' demise.

This week, it's King horns....

• Like 4

HEY....lets put all of the trumpets on Schilke 6a4a's and the mellos on trumpet mouthpieces, and the baritones on 12 C Bachs. That is the sound that most of the old dinos want...you can still get the sizzle, but maybe not all of the volume. Many people dont realize how important the mouthpiece that you blow into is when talking about this stuff.

Glad to see this SYSTEM BLUE line of instruments trying to improve their equipment. I like the grooved tuning slide, Devils have been doing this for years, but now we wont have to put marks on the horns and then try to sell them when we are done.

Donny

• Like 2