DCI mirrors NASCAR

Now im not suggesting that this is what DCI should do because it basically would destroy finals night, but if they did use a points championship race how much would this make a difference to how corps function with all the mid season shuffling?

For those of you completely lost...

Let's break down what's likely to happen. According to the AP, NASCAR is working to simplify the system for fans, awarding 43 points for 1st place, 42 for 2nd, and all the way down in one-point increments to just a single point for 43rd. If you're confused, simply take the number 44, subtract your driver's finishing position and you have the number of points he scored that race.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tom_bowles/01/18/NASCAR.points.system/index.html#ixzz1CW7HmDXD

I think that this would put a lot more preasure or corps to be cleaner sooner, and makes every show important not just regionals and finals week. Thoughts?

I thought this was an interesting idea, so I decided to apply a version of the points system to the 2010 regional and finals week scores. 1-23 points for San Antonio (surf did not appear at this show, so I gave them 1 point for simplicity's sake), Atlanta, Allentown and Quarters, 1-17 for Semis, and 1-12 for Finals.

tumblr_lfu9ydblIh1qal7n7.jpg

The only corps that would have been in different positions from these results are BK and Scouts, with BK only edging them out by a single point due to their relative success at the earlier shows.

I thought this was an interesting idea, so I decided to apply a version of the points system to the 2010 regional and finals week scores. 1-23 points for San Antonio (surf did not appear at this show, so I gave them 1 point for simplicity's sake), Atlanta, Allentown and Quarters, 1-17 for Semis, and 1-12 for Finals.

tumblr_lfu9ydblIh1qal7n7.jpg

The only corps that would have been in different positions from these results are BK and Scouts, with BK only edging them out by a single point due to their relative success at the earlier shows.

Although I don't believe the results would change, the scoring would need to be adapted due to the weighting of shows. Under that scheme, winning San Antonio is worth 23 points while winning Finals is only worth 12 points. Even if you adjusted it to make winning finals and semi finals worth 23 points as well with 12th place worth 12 points, I think it would still continue to show the lack of parity and movement in the activity throughout the season.

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-### speed."

Eleanor Roosevelt

• Like 1

Now im not suggesting that this is what DCI should do because it basically would destroy finals night, but if they did use a points championship race how much would this make a difference to how corps function with all the mid season shuffling?

For those of you completely lost...

Let's break down what's likely to happen. According to the AP, NASCAR is working to simplify the system for fans, awarding 43 points for 1st place, 42 for 2nd, and all the way down in one-point increments to just a single point for 43rd. If you're confused, simply take the number 44, subtract your driver's finishing position and you have the number of points he scored that race.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tom_bowles/01/18/NASCAR.points.system/index.html#ixzz1CW7HmDXD

I think that this would put a lot more preasure or corps to be cleaner sooner, and makes every show important not just regionals and finals week. Thoughts?

That might be interesting: I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing this but I would also want to see legit awards given out at Championships as well.

FWIW every football (soccer) league in the world does the same thing as far as points. I know that's substantially different from NASCAR, but it is another sport (technically the largest sport in the world). I believe Rugby does that as well.

what happens when you have a Non G8 corps that's scoring higher than some of the G8 corps? The Non G8 corps isn't able to participate in the G8 only shows.

I don't think that plan will ever go through with NASCAR, either. They aren't rewarding the people who win enough. It's easier to sit back in the top 10 then it is to go for a win.