An issue of Definition

Stu

Each individual fan cannot have their own definition of what drumcorps is. That's ridiculous. That's like saying that I am going to decide from now on that apples are oranges and vice versa. You can call it whatever you want, but it doesn't change what it actually is. And yes, I know I'm comparing apples to oranges. :)

• Like 2

I have brought this up before and IMHO THIS is probably the modern drum corps killer question. Pretty much drum corps today has NO defined product or something that makes it unique from a brass marching band. Talk about a marketing nightmare to try and sell outside the small community of drum corps. You will notice some people will not talk about this elephant sitting in the room..but my sig covers this.

BTW, as a side note this was brought up in 1999 as one of the more SERIOUS issues about allowing multi-key brass.

Don't know about the apologist thing but, absolutely, if the uniqueness is allowed to dwindle so do the marketing opportunities. I claim the title of the elephant in the room because this has been my central theme for a very long time.

Green plussie for you, Dude.

" Officially " ( in other words " legally " ) gets the naming rights ?

As to my knowledge, the answer would have to be...... " Nobody ".

In order to legally and officially have naming rights, one has to file a trademark request with the US Patent Office which gives the owner or owners the legal and official rights to a name. This " official " naming rights is recorded and no other entity can then utlilize this " official " naming right without that owner(s) expressed permission. Since it is my current understanding that no such " official " naming rights to " Drum and Bugle Corps " has been officially applied for and subsequently approved as a legal trademark name with the US Government, then the answer then as to who has the " official " authorization would have to be..... " nobody ".

So I could call a dog fight a drum and bugle corps? Hmmm...seems Mr. Vick missed an opportunity.

"Hey boy, what are you doing standing around that pen watching dogs tear each other to pieces?"

"Well, officer, we're watching a drum and bugle corps show."

"Oh, OK. Carry on."

Doesn't the phrase pretty much define the content on its own?

Don't know about the apologist thing but, absolutely, if the uniqueness is allowed to dwindle so do the marketing opportunities. I claim the title of the elephant in the room because this has been my central theme for a very long time.

Green plussie for you, Dude.

I am happy that there are those that understand the absolute need for something that defines you if you are trying to sell a product. Quite honestly, if I were DCI, I would be VERY worried about not having something that makes you different from a bigger more economical product.

• Like 1

I am happy that there are those that understand the absolute need for something that defines you if you are trying to sell a product. Quite honestly, if I were DCI, I would be VERY worried about not having something that makes you different from a bigger more economical product.

While naming rights might seem trivial, it may not neccessarily be the case. For example, the naming rights to " Drum Corps International " may not seem like such a big deal right now.

But what if some Corps some day ( say from the G-8) decide to break off and do their own thing ?

Now all of a sudden the phrase " Drum Corps International " takes on a whole 'nuttha matter, and you can bet your bugles that we'd be off to the legal races with THAT.

Edited by BRASSO

So I could call a dog fight a drum and bugle corps? Hmmm...seems Mr. Vick missed an opportunity.

"Hey boy, what are you doing standing around that pen watching dogs tear each other to pieces?"

"Well, officer, we're watching a drum and bugle corps show."

"Oh, OK. Carry on."

Doesn't the phrase pretty much define the content on its own?

Some " real world " application of the preservation of " naming rights " in the Drum Corps activity:

In 1995, 1 year after the " 27th Lancers Drum and Bugle Corps " finished their performance in exhibition at the 1994 DCI Finals, some within the organization decided to continue the Corps in parades and in exhibitions. But the owner of the Naming Rights to the Corps, George Bonfiglio, the founder and long time Corps Director, would not permit it, as for him, the goal of bringing the defunt Corps back " One More Time " for the exhibition in 1994 at DCI in Foxboro, Ma. was why it was brought back. Once the exhibition was completed, he did not want to revisit the reason why the Corps left in the first place ( bankruptcy ), so that was that.

But some in the group went out and did parades and exhibitions under the name " 27th Lancers ". He told them to stop the name. They would not. So he went to court and showed the judge his " Naming Rights " that he had. The judge agreed, and issued a court order injunction ordering them to cease and desist using this Name. The outfit complied and immediately changed their name from " The 27th Lancers " to " The Light Brigade". And this protected the owner with the Naming Rights, and a good example of why it is there in the first place. Curiously however, there is a marching band in the Phillipines today called the " 27th Lancers ". They are on Youtube. This outfit IS permitted to utilize the name because the US Naming Rights Protection Laws do not apply abroad in foreign countries. As a result, ANY foreign marching band outside the USA can use the name Phantom Regiment, Cavaliers, Madison Scouts, or whatever name of a current DCI Corps they want. In practical terms though, who's going to stop them anyway ?

Edited by BRASSO

Michael Cesario :tongue:

Why do you want to end the thread? To stifle other responses? To concede that all of our discussions of what is and is not a drum corps is actually idiotically futile and infantile? Why end the thread?

Sorry, I should have put a smiley. It's kind of a meme around here that I see tossed around playfully.

GEORGE HOPKINS

(someone had to say it)

:worthy:

It made sense to wait and let it come from "garfield." :smile: